Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Overdrive "always available" audiobooks?

Doing my usual weekly check for newly added audiobooks at my libraries, I saw today that the NYPL had added several hundred Overdrive titles; every one that I looked at included the designation "always available." Most of the audiobooks seemed to be at least a few years old.

I've never seen this designation before--anyone know what the story is behind it? I didn't notice anything similar with the newly added e-books.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:34 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Doing my usual weekly check for newly added audiobooks at my libraries, I saw today that the NYPL had added several hundred Overdrive titles; every one that I looked at included the designation "always available." Most of the audiobooks seemed to be at least a few years old.

I've never seen this designation before--anyone know what the story is behind it? I didn't notice anything similar with the newly added e-books.
I've seen it for years at my libraries. When I glanced at the available titles, I saw public domain and didn't look any further to see if there were actually any titles that weren't public domain.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've seen it for years at my libraries. When I glanced at the available titles, I saw public domain and didn't look any further to see if there were actually any titles that weren't public domain.
Oh, no, I didn't mean public domain titles--I'm talking about relatively recent books. Some of the ones I added to my wish list, e.g., are from 2008, 2010, 2015, even one from 2019. These are current books, just not brand-new.

I had recommended one of them--Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard, 2019--a few months back and it was automatically borrowed for me; that's how I noticed the "always available" label. It's a book I had on a wish list at another library, in fact, and at that library it doesn't have the "always available" label. (Both Overdrive, of course.)
Old 01-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Oh, no, I didn't mean public domain titles--I'm talking about relatively recent books. Some of the ones I added to my wish list, e.g., are from 2008, 2010, 2015, even one from 2019. These are current books, just not brand-new.

I had recommended one of them--Rewind by Catherine Ryan Howard, 2019--a few months back and it was automatically borrowed for me; that's how I noticed the "always available" label. It's a book I had on a wish list at another library, in fact, and at that library it doesn't have the "always available" label. (Both Overdrive, of course.)
Then I have no idea. I haven't looked at that category in years.

Sorry for the confusion.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Then I have no idea. I haven't looked at that category in years.

Sorry for the confusion.
No problem, I wasn't clear enough.

It's not at my library as a category. To be more specific: At NYPL--Collections--New Audiobook Additions--Date Added--Last 7 Days, I got the usual list of new books. When I looked at the random titles of interest to me, I suddenly kept seeing "always available" on the various book pages, in lieu of the usual notice of number of copies available.

I did poke around to see if I could find anything about it, but I didn't see any info.

P.S. Hmm. All but two of the random selection of "always available" books I looked at just now were Tantor titles. The exceptions were from Blackstone.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:19 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
it suggests the library somehow has obtained a licence to lend an unlimited number of copies.

maybe you could ask the library- it would be interested to hear their explanation
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it suggests the library somehow has obtained a licence to lend an unlimited number of copies.

maybe you could ask the library- it would be interested to hear their explanation
I guess there must have been a fire sale on those licenses, because they added more than 400 titles in one fell swoop!
Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I checked my (UK) overdrive for that "rewind" title. They only have it as epub, not as audiobook , and no mention of unlimited copies.
Title and author match, but not publishers, where I see Atlantic books. , Not what was mentioned a few posts back. May vary by country ?

So I asked Google about "overdrive always available". Got a link to an old 2011 article :
You are here: Home / Digital Publishing News / Overdrive launches “Always Available” eBook Titles for Libraries and Schools
Overdrive launches “Always Available” eBook Titles for Libraries and Schools
June 25, 2011 By Michael Kozlowski 0 Comments

Last edited by stumped; 01-24-2020 at 12:10 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #9
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I checked my (UK) overdrive for that "rewind" title. They only have it as epub, not as audiobook , and no mention of unlimited copies... May vary by country ?
I just checked the four library systems i'm currently a member of in California. Only two had the book. It was not available in audio. It was not unlimited. So country doesn't make any difference. It must just be the individual library.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 09:21 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
My library has an Always Available Audiobook collection too. It shows up on the home page list near the bottom. Mine are also from Tantor Media and Blackstone.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote