Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-03-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
cootcraig
Enthusiast
cootcraig began at the beginning.

Device: 2nd gen. Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Alternate reader software on 2nd gen. fire?

My first ereader hardware is a 2nd gen. Fire tablet. I want to learn what alternate reader software is available, how to install them, and what they are useful for.

First up is koreader. Please suggest others to try.

How can I install koreader if possible? (never installed anything yet)

I am using Calibre on Linux and on Windows 7 to manage the ebooks I have purchased and possibly remove DRM. My hope is to load ebooks to whatever readers I have from Calibre on Linux (Linux is my preferred workstation)

Last edited by cootcraig; 10-03-2018 at 05:22 AM.
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 11:55 AM   #2
k_men
k_men doesn't litterk_men doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle PW4, Kindle PW2, Kindle 5NT
I'm very happy with Moon+ Reader Pro on my 3rd gen. Fire. It has a great pdf plugin and a very good library/shelf management plugin - it's a virtual separate book collection from the one baked into the Fire OS interface.

(And I mention pdf because that's what I mostly read in it these days - everything else gets converted (in Calibre, on Linux, like in your case) and sent to my Paperwhite.

I also tried FBReader, but its shelf/library management was useless. No experience with KOreader.

Oh, and I also have Bluefire installed - this is mainly for ADE DRM compatibility (which Moon+ lacks). No Overdrive here (Spain), and all public digital libraries use ADE DRM.
k_men is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
My first ereader hardware is a 2nd gen. Fire tablet. I want to learn what alternate reader software is available, how to install them, and what they are useful for.

First up is koreader. Please suggest others)
Ancient tablet, 2012, limited to what is in Amazon store and is compatible with that very old model. Most sideloaded will not work and Google store cannot be installed. Aldiko reader may be compatible, still, as a paid for Amazon store app.
Otherwise, my a modern cheap fire hd tablet and install Google play store. Then you can run all the reader apps from both Google and from amazon
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_men View Post
I'm very happy with Moon+ Reader Pro on my 3rd gen. Fire. It has a great pdf plugin and a very good library/shelf management plugin - it's a virtual separate book collection from the one baked into the Fire OS interface.
I will check out Moon+ Reader Pro if I can figure out how to install it. Ebooks are a tremendous rabbit hole of twists, turns, time wasting, and tunnel collapses for me.

DRM for Never! LoL
Old 10-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_men View Post
I'm very happy with Moon+ Reader Pro on my 3rd gen. Fire.
I like this from the Moon+ Reader Pro FAQ

How to connect to my Calibre OPDS server?

In Calibre, you can click "Preferences" button on top bar, then click "Content Server" -> "Start Server" -> "Test Server", this will open a web browser, write down the URL in the browser (e.g.: http://192.168.1.100:8080/ or http://192.168.1.100:8080/opds);

then in Moon+ Reader "Online Library" tab, click "Add new catalog...", input this URL, restart the reader to access your own Calibre server.
Advert
Old 10-04-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
k_men
k_men doesn't litterk_men doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle PW4, Kindle PW2, Kindle 5NT
Quote:
I like this from the Moon+ Reader Pro FAQ

How to connect to my Calibre OPDS server?

In Calibre, you can click "Preferences" button on top bar, then click "Content Server" -> "Start Server" -> "Test Server", this will open a web browser, write down the URL in the browser (e.g.: http://192.168.1.100:8080/ or http://192.168.1.100:8080/opds);

then in Moon+ Reader "Online Library" tab, click "Add new catalog...", input this URL, restart the reader to access your own Calibre server.

Oh, yes, I completely forgot about OPDS integration in Moon+. It comes with a full directory of feeds, and, yes, you can browse your library via the Calibre server, and download books at whim - a bit like browsing your print book shelves, but with the benefit of not having to get up from the sofa.

(Doesn't KOreader also include OPDS?)
k_men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I will check out Moon+ Reader Pro if I can figure out how to install it.
DRM for Never! LoL
this is the crunch, with no access to google play store on that 2nd gen device you cannot buy it, so you have to use a pirated version from a dodgy site, with all the likely virus and trojans that come with doing that.
do you really want to go there and not buy a modern tablet instead

even if you did load a old + hacked version to bypass the google license , you have no access to dropbox or google drive on that tablet so you lose out on all teh nifty cloud sync features. - same with any other reader apps that offer cloud syncs
and you just robbed the app author, that's no way to support development of better reader apps!
with a 3rd gen device, you can at least buy it in a very round about way , using bluestacks emulator on PC, then buying it from amazon store in bluestacks, then doing a messy backup / copy/ restore/ sideload process
with current Fire HD, you just sideloaded google services and buy the latest google version, which is usually newer than the amazon version

Last edited by stumped; 10-05-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #8
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
this is the crunch, with no access to google play store on that 2nd gen device you cannot buy it, so you have to use a pirated version from a dodgy site
I won't do that, so I guess no alternate reader for me. This is a strange environment that I don't understand.

Quote:
and you just robbed the app author, that's no way to support development of better reader apps!
And I won't do that either.

Quote:
with current Fire HD, you just sideloaded google services and buy the latest google version, which is usually newer than the amazon version
And I won't use a new Fire tablet either. I have painted myself into a corner. I'm an obstinate one. My 2nd gen. Fire tablet may end up another high tech paperweight.

My way forward may be to generate Kindle format in Calibre and load into the 2nd gen. tablet if that is possible for non Kindle sourced ebooks.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:12 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

sure, you can convert any unlocked books to kindle format and sideload, or get them there, as mobi, using the send via email to kindle feature

the way it works for several of the epub reader apps: moon+ , bookari... amazon app store sell versions, but they flag them as not compatible with fire tablets ( they are really, but amazon want you to use their solutions, so any reader app that can do text to speech is flagged as incompatible)

that means that - from a fire tablet- you do not see them as apps that you can buy.
you can however buy them using the amazon app store app on an android tablet or using an android emulator on PC. Then you have to figure how to move the purchased app to a fire tablet that is registered to the same amazon account, for it to work.
the other workaround is that you add all the google services to fire tablet then buy your reader apps from google play store. that way you get the latest greatest apps, but that method only works for more recent fire tablets - you can add google store to tablets running fire os 5, and probably to any running os 6...
i used to have a 2nd gen kindle fire for grandson and was able to buy and install the ALDIKO epub reader app, that may still be the case. go to apps on the tablet and see if it is available. there may be a free trial/demo/stripped down version also
NB with reader apps that are in both app stores - google and amazon - the amazon version is often older and slow to update
android tablets( not from amazon) CAN RUN A KINDLE FOR ANDROID APP if you dont want to have to convert your amazon books. ipads also have an app but you cannot buy amazon books directly from apple devices because amazon do not want to pay the 30% apple commision

IMHO the simplest solution is to put all the books you buy , from whoever, into calibre - de-drming them as you go, then you can sideload anything to anything from calibre. there are threads about how to do that, using old versions of Kindle for PC for the amazon books

Last edited by stumped; 10-05-2018 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
To the best of my recollection the 2nd Gen 8.9" Fire runs Fire OS3 which is based on Android 4.0.3

A good alternate free reading app for that might be FBReader and you can find an APK for it on the official site (look under History and current version for a download link)...
https://fbreader.org/android

To install the app on the Fire you'll need to enable apps from unknown sources (in other words not from the Amazon appstore). Settings --> Applications

Once that's enabled you can either copy the APK over via USB or use the Fire's browser to just download it directly. Tap on the APK file and it should open the installer...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
To the best of my recollection the 2nd Gen 8.9" Fire runs Fire OS3 which is based on Android 4.0.3...
Yes, but confusingly , when you look at device details\about it used some other numbering system. Amazon at that time had not adopted the fire os 3 4 5 6 system
I agree that it is fire 3 , android 4.0.3 and I found confirmation at other sources when I was researching mine.
I doubt there is any way to add a more modern android version, even via rooting
Old 10-05-2018, 12:47 PM   #12
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
sure, you can convert any unlocked books to kindle format and sideload
IMHO the simplest solution is to put all the books you buy , from whoever, into calibre - de-drming them as you go, then you can sideload anything to anything from calibre. there are threads about how to do that, using old versions of Kindle for PC for the amazon books
Yes that is what I've been doing, but I don't yet have an ereader device that I like. As of now, I expect to get a Kobo Clara HD when the budget allows. The 2nd gen Fire tablet was $26 total and I want to be sure that I will continue with ebooks before I purchase a new one.

I think I'll give up on installing an alternate book reader app. With Calibre I can convert my purchased ebooks to mobi or azw3 and read them on the 2nd gen. Fire table.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
To the best of my recollection the 2nd Gen 8.9" Fire runs Fire OS3 which is based on Android 4.0.3

A good alternate free reading app for that might be FBReader and you can find an APK for it on the official site (look under History and current version for a download link)...
https://fbreader.org/android

To install the app on the Fire you'll need to enable apps from unknown sources (in other words not from the Amazon appstore). Settings --> Applications

Once that's enabled you can either copy the APK over via USB or use the Fire's browser to just download it directly. Tap on the APK file and it should open the installer...
Thank you. I would to like to purchase and install FBReader premium and have contacted FBReader.org about it.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I also use Moon Reader Pro on my Kindle Fire 2nd Gen.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I also use Moon Reader Pro on my Kindle Fire 2nd Gen.
That is encouraging. I will gladly purchase Moon+ Reader Pro if I believe I can install it on my 2nd Gen. Fire tablet. The free Moon+ Reader apk is available for download, but I don't know about the Pro apk.