Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
DaveReads
DaveReads began at the beginning.

Device: Sony and Kindle
Calibre on Chromebook Linux

Google just announced the integration of Chromebooks with Linux - https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/08/...port-official/.
There are two Windows programs keeping me tied to Windows devices, one is Calibre. Would love to run Calibre on a Chromebook when this is released. Will it be possible?
Thanks,
Dave
DaveReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As I understand that announcement, you are supposed to be able to run any linux program o chromebook. I know of no reason calibre should be an exception.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #3
DaveReads
DaveReads began at the beginning.

Device: Sony and Kindle
Linux apps vs programs

The article talks about being able to run Linux apps. Not sure if they are the same as a download and install.
DaveReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are basically making th eapps from some linux distro(I think debian) available on the chromebook. calibre is available on all linux distros (usually terribly outdated versions, but still better than nothing).
Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
The article says that Chromebooks will be running Debian in a virtual machine, so the only limitation should be the hardware on the Chromebook (which, with many of the lower cost Chromebooks, could be a serious limitation).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #6
jeffmcneill
jeffmcneill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Calibre on Crostini on Chromebook

I've gotten Calibre to run using the standard Debian install (couldn't get it to run using the instructions on the Calibre site). However, the Calibre does not see my Kindle Paperwhite connected via USB (though the ChromeOS side does see the device).

I expect this is a driver issue of some kind, or something about the linux container configuration.
jeffmcneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

calibre does not use device drivers in the conventional sense. As long as your device is mounted by the OS it should be able to connect. It does rely on the sysfs filesystem being present and working however.

You can try running

calibre-debug -d

with your device connected to get more info on the device detection process.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
jeffmcneill

/sys not present in Crostini Linux Container

I tried running "calibre-debug -d", and got the following error:

"RuntimeError: DeviceScanner requires the /sys filesystem to work."
Old 08-05-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Yeah as I said, it requires the sysfs filesystem to work. If you cant get that then, you can use the connect to folder function in calibre instead assuming your kindle is mounted as folder inside the container.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
jeffmcneill

VM without access to usb = no mounted usb drives

I'm still assuming that Crostini access to usb is non-functional, but "coming soon" as per https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium...tail?id=831850
Old 08-05-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
jeffmcneill

sysfs present but scanner throws error

Notice that I've updated sysfsutils and when running *mount* I see:

"sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)"

as well as varous sys mounts. So while Calibre is complaining about /sys not being present the OS is reporting it as present.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveReads View Post
Google just announced the integration of Chromebooks with Linux - https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/08/...port-official/.
There are two Windows programs keeping me tied to Windows devices, one is Calibre. Would love to run Calibre on a Chromebook when this is released. Will it be possible?
Thanks,
Dave
I had an Asus flip with 4 gig ram. That was the high spec version. I sold it because of the lack of storage to install Linux, and googleos and Android were too limited for my uses. It was pain. Chromebooks are great for watching youtube vids.

I found trying to make a chromebook do what it was not designed for was a PITA.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 08-06-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 11:35 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Just having the sysfs filesystem is insufficient, it needs to actually export data about USB devices. And if you cannot mount the kindle inside the container, then you have no hope of it working with calibre regardless of sysfs.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
They are basically making th eapps from some linux distro(I think debian) available on the chromebook. calibre is available on all linux distros (usually terribly outdated versions, but still better than nothing).
If they do use debian stable and allow backports, then relatively up to date versions of calibre should not be a problem. Current stable (stretch) has 2.75.1 while the stretch-backport is at 3.26.0.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcneill View Post
I've gotten Calibre to run using the standard Debian install (couldn't get it to run using the instructions on the Calibre site). However, the Calibre does not see my Kindle Paperwhite connected via USB (though the ChromeOS side does see the device).

I expect this is a driver issue of some kind, or something about the linux container configuration.
I have had the same issues, trying to use Calibre on my Pixelbook. The instructions on the Calibre website didn't work as it required a "sudo" command, which asked me for a password. However, I was able to download the Gnome Software Centre and install Calibre through that. However, it won't recognise my Kindle and books I emailed just didn't appear. However, I have been able to get it to work by connecting up my Kindle via USB and in the Chrome Files app dragging a book from the Calibre library under Linux files, and dropping it onto my Kindle's documents folder.
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote