Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #1
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
"ALL" and "DOWNLOADED" flipped on 5.7.2?

So something I and a few others have noticed is that when I go to my library, on the top left it shows "ALL" and "DOWNLOADED" and their behavior seems to be flipped!

When I select "ALL", it becomes bold and it seems to only show those items that I have downloaded from the kindle store. When I select "DOWNLOADED", it becomes bold and it shows all of my sideloaded books. In both cases, the top right has "ALL ITEMS" selected and sorted by "RECENT."

One other weird thing is that I would've expected one of these to show _all_ of my items: both sideloaded and downloaded from the kindle store. Instead I have "ALL" only showing the kindle store books and "DOWNLOADED" only showing sideloaded books.

All my books are sent via USB with Calibre, not via email or anything else.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have also installed 5.7.2.1 and the issue remains.

I'm on Paperwhite 3.
blaenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I have a voyage and the new update and on ALL bolded I see everything, cloud and whats on device and if I click and bold downloaded, I only see whats on my Voyage. So for me its working as it is suppose to, not flipped.

Most of my items are from the kindle store and some items are docs that I send via send to kindle. I don't send anything from calibre directly, although I use calibre to back up my library.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
blaenk
Connoisseur
blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.blaenk 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

I found these two posts which seem to show that other people are experiencing this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1475

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=99

If so, looks like it may be limited to PW?
Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting. I would send some info to kindle feedback if its backwards on the PW. That would drive me nuts. I only have a PW1 in the house, which is not eligible for this update, so I can't compare to my Voyage.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:19 PM   #5
blaenk
Connoisseur

Haha yeah, it's pretty disorienting. I'm gonna try backing up my documents folder and resetting the device to see if it may be some cruft that may be conflicting.
Advert
Old 02-11-2016, 11:26 PM   #6
charlyee
Book Addict
charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlyee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, iPad Air 2, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I have a voyage and the new update and on ALL bolded I see everything, cloud and whats on device and if I click and bold downloaded, I only see whats on my Voyage. So for me its working as it is suppose to, not flipped.

That is how it is on my Voyage.
charlyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 AM   #7
blaenk
Connoisseur

I just reset my PW3, i.e. wiped it clean. Only kindle store books are on it.

When I go to my library and select "ALL" I indeed see all of the kindle store books, and in "DOWNLOADED" I only see the ones that are downloaded.

As soon as I send a sideloaded AZW3 book, it only shows up in "DOWNLOADED" and not in "ALL".
Old 02-12-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaenk View Post

When I select "ALL", it becomes bold and it seems to only show those items that I have downloaded from the kindle store. When I select "DOWNLOADED", it becomes bold and it shows all of my sideloaded books.
Bear in mind that 'ALL' replaces what was 'CLOUD' previously and 'DOWNLOADED' replaces what was 'ON DEVICE'. What 'ALL' stands for really is "all the books you've bought from us" I guess most people with a Kindle will only buy from Amazon anyway.

So on my PW3 'ALL' shows everything from Amazon, whether downloaded or not, but not sideloaded books from other places - just like 'CLOUD' did before; and 'DOWNLOADED' shows all the books actually on my Kindle regardless of source, just like 'ON DEVICE' did before. I'm not finding the behavious strange given that it's an Amazon device and therefore Amazon-centric. To me it's no different from before, they just renamed stuff.

Edit: I also assume that anything sent to the Kindle via "email to Kindle" or whatever it's called and therefore stored on Amazon's servers, would show in the 'ALL' tab.

Last edited by Yolina; 02-12-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
Edit: I also assume that anything sent to the Kindle via "email to Kindle" or whatever it's called and therefore stored on Amazon's servers, would show in the 'ALL' tab.
I send books to Amazon this way and that is how it works for me.

I agree with your entire post. Amazon just changed the labels on the buttons and kept the original functionality. The new labels are clearer for those who have only books from Amazon's cloud with no side loading, but they don't really mean what they say.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-12-2016 at 01:04 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
Atunah
Wizard

Interesting. Everything I get elsewhere, still goes to the cloud for me since I use send to kindle, so it treats it like a kindle book.
Would make sense that it can't see sideloaded ones not in the cloud when selecting the Cloud(ALL) setting.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
blaenk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
I'm not finding the behavious strange given that it's an Amazon device and therefore Amazon-centric. To me it's no different from before, they just renamed stuff.

I agree that it makes more sense given that perspective, but I also agree with jhowell that they don't really mean what they say.

I was only thinking that perhaps it was broken on my end because it sounded like other people, like Atunah, were observing the opposite behavior. Now I find that Atunah was using send to kindle, an important bit of information haha. Thanks for responding anyways Atunah!

Thanks everyone!