Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #76
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Are there any improvement on font management wih FW 3.12.0? ie. OTF recognition without problems?
Any one managed to make linux Libertine Display G working on kobo?
When i apply naming conventions, regular font cant be recognized.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #77
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Are there any improvement on font management wih FW 3.12.0? ie. OTF recognition without problems?
Any one managed to make linux Libertine Display G working on kobo?
When i apply naming conventions, regular font cant be recognized.
I've been using Linux Libertine G (Reg, Italic, Bold & BoldItalic) for a while with no problems. Is there supposed to be some benefit to using the single Display font file?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #78
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Thats the one. I suppose i just named a wrong font. But i cant make it work...
Old 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forster01 View Post
Thats the one. I suppose i just named a wrong font. But i cant make it work...
I'll PM you a link to a zip file containing the 4 files I've been using.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #80
forster01
Groupie

Unhappy

THANKS!
Advert
Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #81
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Another issue I have with Fussell's The Great War and Modern Man is that the notes function doesn't work, none of them. The super text number is not underlined, meaning that it's not linked.

So I've got a non-fiction book stacked with notes and can't find a way of accessing them as I read because each time I touch one (whether it be a short or long touch) I get the dictionary or choice of making a highlight or note.

Grrrrr .....

On the Calibre book view they are treated as they should and footnotes appear on clicking them. So the linking action has been built in, but it just don't work on the Glo.

Here's the code:
“sheets of ‘The Western Front’ with a thick wavy black line drawn from North to South alongside which was printed ‘British Line.’ ”<a id="ch02-fn1"/><a class="nounder" href="notes.html#ch02fn1"><sup>1</sup></a>

And the text:
“sheets of ‘The Western Front’ with a thick wavy black line drawn from North to South alongside which was printed ‘British Line.’ ”1
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #82
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Lynx-lynx,

Those look like OK footnote links. Is it a sideloaded de-DRM'd book? If so it may be able to be improved with a bit of epub surgery. I'd be happy to do a bit of experimentation if you want to PM a link to it.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #83
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Lynx-lynx,

Those look like OK footnote links. Is it a sideloaded de-DRM'd book? If so it may be able to be improved with a bit of epub surgery. I'd be happy to do a bit of experimentation if you want to PM a link to it.
Thanks Jackie for your help.

PMing you.

Edit
Yes, it's a side loaded epub

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-11-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #84
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Lynx-Lynx: Try increasing the size of the font. I'm fairly sure I was able to use one the other day, but, they are small and hard to select. Increasing the font size usually makes them easier to tap. Doing that isn't really great for reading, but it will help prove whether the links work or not.

But, I would recommend converting this to kepub. The link and footnote handling is a lot better in the kepub reader than for plain epubs.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:41 PM   #85
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks David.

How do I convert to kepub?

Also, Jackie's doing her bit on the book, so I think the epub version will be grand then as well.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #86
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Lynx-Lynx: Try increasing the size of the font. I'm fairly sure I was able to use one the other day, but, they are small and hard to select. Increasing the font size usually makes them easier to tap. Doing that isn't really great for reading, but it will help prove whether the links work or not.

But, I would recommend converting this to kepub. The link and footnote handling is a lot better in the kepub reader than for plain epubs.
That's good advice, but I thought if they WEREN'T underlined they weren't an active link? I'm just going on memory from some Gutenberg sideloads I've used. I can't offer any insight as to why they wouldn't be working if properly constructed.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #87
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Thanks David.

How do I convert to kepub?

Also, Jackie's doing her bit on the book, so I think the epub version will be grand then as well.
Two choices. Either use the KoboTouchExtended driver to send the books as kepubs. But, once enabled, all books are sent as kepubs. You can disable it later or turn off the conversion option, but you have to remember to do it (which I never do) and restart calibre. Or you can use the Kepub Output plugin and do a conversion to kepub. Then the KoboTouch driver can send this to the device. You might need to adjust the driver settings, but the defaults will send the kepub if it exists.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #88
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Here's the code:
“sheets of ‘The Western Front’ with a thick wavy black line drawn from North to South alongside which was printed ‘British Line.’ ”<a id="ch02-fn1"/><a class="nounder" href="notes.html#ch02fn1"><sup>1</sup></a>

And the text:
“sheets of ‘The Western Front’ with a thick wavy black line drawn from North to South alongside which was printed ‘British Line.’ ”1
Might you want to take a look at the class="nounder" in the <a tag you posted? Sounds as if it removes the underline. This has nothing to do with the link working since that is a function of the a tag but it does make it harder to see them as links.

Just my two cents worth,
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 12:44 AM   #89
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Lynx-lynx:

What has been said by davidfor (kepubs seem to "expand" the active link area) and DNSB (check what that style is doing about the layout of the hyperlink), AND an extra comment.

I see in your profile data that you own a Sony PRS-650 and a Glo. I cannot speak about a Glo, because I don't own one neither I've ever used it. But I can assure you that the touchscreen precission of the PRS-650 is AGES better than the AuraHD or H2O one. The PRS stylus is just "not seen" in the Kobo devices... So without an "extended" sensitive link area (as kepubs/ACCESS seem to implement), it's quite possible that small links were quite difficult to "be touched". The best example about this happens in the Web Browser where small links are nearly unusable.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 AM   #90
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Thanks everyone for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Lynx-lynx, Those look like OK footnote links. Is it a sideloaded de-DRM'd book? If so it may be able to be improved with a bit of epub surgery. I'd be happy to do a bit of experimentation if you want to PM a link to it.
Jackie has solved my footnote access problems by essentially removing the superscript tag for footnotes, which means that the footnotes now display the same size as normal text. She has also placed [brackets] around the footnote, and underlined the text for good measure (not activated the link, no need). And they now work perfectly.

An excellent job because apparently there's around 700 references !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That's good advice, but I thought if they WEREN'T underlined they weren't an active link? I'm just going on memory from some Gutenberg sideloads I've used. I can't offer any insight as to why they wouldn't be working if properly constructed.
Checking the CSS for my book they weren't underlined links. However in the past I thought that all the epub footnote links were underlined, so I was wrong or they've changed it, or sometimes they maybe and sometimes not depending on the publisher or ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Two choices. Either use the KoboTouchExtended driver to send the books as kepubs. But, once enabled, all books are sent as kepubs. You can disable it later or turn off the conversion option, but you have to remember to do it (which I never do) and restart calibre. Or you can use the Kepub Output plugin and do a conversion to kepub. Then the KoboTouch driver can send this to the device. You might need to adjust the driver settings, but the defaults will send the kepub if it exists.
Thanks David, I'll take a note of this for future practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Might you want to take a look at the class="nounder" in the <a tag you posted? Sounds as if it removes the underline. This has nothing to do with the link working since that is a function of the a tag but it does make it harder to see them as links.

Just my two cents worth,
Thanks DNSB and here's the CSS (prior to Jackie adding underline):
.nounder {
text-decoration: none;
}
You were quite right, my failure to access the footnotes had nothing to do with whether there was an underline link there or not. Instead I just couldn't get my girlie sized fingers to touch the quite tiny super text in the right spot. Would hate to have seen how blokie fingers managed it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Lynx-lynx:What has been said by davidfor (kepubs seem to "expand" the active link area) and DNSB (check what that style is doing about the layout of the hyperlink), AND an extra comment.

I see in your profile data that you own a Sony PRS-650 and a Glo. I cannot speak about a Glo, because I don't own one neither I've ever used it. But I can assure you that the touchscreen precission of the PRS-650 is AGES better than the AuraHD or H2O one. The PRS stylus is just "not seen" in the Kobo devices... So without an "extended" sensitive link area (as kepubs/ACCESS seem to implement), it's quite possible that small links were quite difficult to "be touched". The best example about this happens in the Web Browser where small links are nearly unusable.
Thank you for mentioning the 650 because yes, my 650 is an excellent device and by far the best device to read non-fiction ebooks on and access the notes. But, and this is a biggie for me, I need that front light and I couldn't ever find the right front light to go with it. And yep, I used the cover that had the inbuilt light and other lights. So, I need to use the Glo.