Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #16
piovac
piovac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Note 4, Samsung Tab S, MacBook Pro
I just posted an applescript program to automate the process in the same thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230740
piovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:03 PM   #17
truth1ness
Zealot
truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Any update on annotations in the Calibre viewer? ETA? The viewer app is a primary reading device for me and many other calibre users.

There's no need for the annotations to sync to other devices or wait until an interoperable standard emerges. Lack of interoperability hasn't stopped other e-readers from implementing their own, I don't think that's a reason to not have annotations. Calibre's bookmarks feature isn't interoperable with other devices but it's there and works great. Just a quick and dirty select text and press a key to highlight is all that's needed.
truth1ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I believe it is on Kovid's long-term to-do list (he'll correct me if I'm wrong).

In other words, yes but maybe not for years, depending on what else he has on his mind.
And it took a couple of years, but we have an update!

Currently Kovid is renovating the Content Server. Among the eagerly awaited changes is an in-browser ebook-viewer and proper calibre support for annotations.

Rest assured, it is being worked on (he's still working on the glue that holds it all together).
If I had to guess on an ETA, I'd say "sometime in the next couple months".
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #19
truth1ness
Zealot
truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!truth1ness is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Nice! Integrated annotations will be amazing!
truth1ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #20
planetbrian
planetbrian began at the beginning.

Device: surace pro 4
I too really need the ability to highlight and save. For now I don't care if it doesn't transfer to other readers. I am using Calibre on a Surface Pro 4 with Intel i5 if that matters.

Other than GUI scaling looks too small on this tablet when booting without an external monitor connected, the highlighting is all that is needed in my view. As soon as highlighting is implemented I will donate $25 as this program will then serve all my needs.

Good job... nice work.
planetbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #21
r0bis
r0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshesr0bis can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Boox Note Pro / Linux Laptop
Smile Annotate ePub is great idea

I would hope there is a way to annotate e-pubs eventually in Calibre reader. The reader is already is very good - it does not offer many distractions, full screen mode is nice, you can add bookmarks. Annotations would be really important, though. I use Moon+ reader and I think the way of storing annotations in a hidden file (i.e. a text file in the book folder in Calibre library) might be the simplest. Capability to export highlights and notes would be very important too. I understand that currently the ePub format does not allow embedding notes in it, and perhaps that would be too big a task.
r0bis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:35 AM   #22
jakubwludarski
jakubwludarski began at the beginning.

Calibre is my the best, primary reader but missing one important function.
Annotations and highlights in epub. As Moon+ reader does (android) is the best way. I found that many other people want to use this function. I have been lookinkg long time for such a reader but no luck under windows.
jakubwludarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #23
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Quote:
I believe it is on Kovid's long-term to-do list ...
Where can I read that long term to-do list?
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #24
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sahara View Post
Where can I read that long term to-do list?
Nowhere for:
What gets delivered. When it gets delivered

That causes no user disappointment. No grief for the Author
Soon it will be in beta. How soon will it be live??
Depends on what beta users suffer
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:06 PM   #25
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
And it took a couple of years, but we have an update!

Currently Kovid is renovating the Content Server. Among the eagerly awaited changes is an in-browser ebook-viewer and proper calibre support for annotations.

Rest assured, it is being worked on (he's still working on the glue that holds it all together).
If I had to guess on an ETA, I'd say "sometime in the next couple months".
18 months later, the calibre v3 beta has just been announced.

Incidentally, his TODO list for the things that he will be adding to the content server "soon" is linked there. Bookmarks/annotations are on the list of things to add now that the server itself is finished and ready to be shipped.

(This isn't just me saying it, Kovid said it too. So if it takes another 18 months, it's not my fault for predicting it too soon this time. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #26
jharrop
jharrop began at the beginning.

Device: Yoga 900
Annotations is a killer feature, conspicuous by its absence.

Since I read in tablet mode (no keyboard, and on-screen keyboard distracts from reading),
I'd love to be able to do it using speech recognition, whether that's provided by the operating system (eg Win 10), or user's preferred cloud service.
jharrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:34 AM   #27
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Has there been any progress on this? I have been yearning for Calibre built-in annotations for 6+ years... I hate having to export a separate file to Kindle or Book Bazaar Reader.
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It is already implemented and will be in calibre 5
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:48 PM   #29
nixsee
Connoisseur
nixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notesnixsee can name that song in three notes

Oh wow! Is there an estimate of when Calibre 5 will be released? I'm just wondering how committed I should get to a new workflow that I'm implementing with various tools, as I'll certainly be switching my annotations to Calibre when it is available.
nixsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Betas for it should be available within a month.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, calibre