Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
andamooka
andamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura about

Device: kobo glo
Problem with Kobo Glo

Bought a couple of books on amazon, went through the motions with calibre and got them on the kobo.

Turned the kobo off, and all the books have disappeared

Plugged it into my pc, and the folder says all the books are there. So turned on Calibre and got this message:

calibre, version 0.9.12
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 81, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 332, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 249, in books
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

I tried hitting the reset button and started again.

The books are all there on the kobo.

Then I turned the kobo off - all the books disappeared. Yet when I plug into the pc again, they are there in the folder.

I can't keep putting the kobo into the pc just to get the books up, that's ridiculous!
andamooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I think the key here is:

database disk image is malformed

Try logging out of your Kobo account on the reader and logging back in.

Go to the setting menu and select account. the log out option is the first item.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
andamooka
andamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura aboutandamooka has a spectacular aura about

I went to the kobo desk top, sync'd and ejected. All the books are there on the kobo.

I turned the kobo off.

All the books have gone.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
andamooka

Just replugged it in, windows is asking me to scan and fix it.

Is the kobo dead? It's my mothers, she only bought it Saturday!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the reader, go to settings and then to account. log out. log back in, you should be taken through a set up process. This may fix it. If not, try going to settings, then device information and select factory reset. This will reset the reader to how it left hte factory. You will have to set it up again.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
andamooka

thank you will try that
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
andamooka

I tried that, re set up everything. Calibre now will talk to the kobo.

Re-put on all the books from calibre to kobo, I checked that I'd sorted them all first.

Kobo is still not showing the books I've put on. 13 books but nothing showing on the machine.
Again, I plug it in, and open the files on kobo - there the books are.

I am at the mercy of a furious parent, is there anything I can do?

eta, just plugged it in again, opened calibre, clicked 'show books in main memory of the device' and they show up there.

Just not on the damn reader itself
Old 01-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
andamooka

Hold the front page, it works. I didn't do anything, they just came back after a few on/off's
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps try just one book?
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sounds like one or more of the books didn't convert very well and is choking the Kobo when it tries to process them. As suggested above, if you have the issue again try to stick them on one or two at a time and you can narrow down which book is at fault.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The problem is the errors seen in the first post. The database on the device became corrupted. As Windows also found a problem with the file system, it most likely means the device was unplugged from a PC without being ejected properly. Until those were fixed, things wouldn't work properly.

With a corrupted database, the device can continue working, but it becomes "forgetful". The tendency is for the database to get stuck at a certain point and connecting to the PC or restarting the device loses the state. So you can read a book and it tracks the position, but power off and it goes back to unread or where you were up to when the problem occurred.

Fixing the file system and database was the solution. The logout replaces the database with an new copy, so that fixes things in most circumstances. The books are then added back to the database and library lists. I've seen the problem about them not being added immediately after a logout/login. It looks like it might recover the kepubs first, and then after another connect to USB or a power off, it scans for the other books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was thinking bad book may have corrupted the database, but the remove without eject doing it does sound more probable.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
I was thinking bad book may have corrupted the database, but the remove without eject doing it does sound more probable.
I hadn't thought of that. I suppose if a bad book caused the processing to hang and the device had to be reset, then the database could be damaged if it was in the wrong state (open and in the middle of an update transaction). I don't think I have seen this happen, but it sounds possible.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote