Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

New model Kindle 4 just arrived at my home!

My new Kindle just arrived! I'm unpacking it now. I'll post photos and comparisons with my K3 as soon as I can.

------------------------------------

I will add to this post any new comments/photos:
  • FW 4.0 on Kindle 4 (non-touch)
  • Bezel is light gray or silver. Not really matte finished but not glossy either. A bit more shiny than the K3 perhaps due to lighter color.
  • Font plugin works: The non-hacking calibre plugin that allows you to modify margins smaller than the system defaults and allows you to use a sideloaded font works exactly like it does on the K3. link
  • K4 noticeably faster than the K3.
  • Slight UI changes due to fewer buttons. It takes an extra press to get the full dictionary page because the Return button no longer exists and you have to choose whether you want create a note, start a highlight, are view the full dictionary page.
  • On/Off button pushes in very smoothly. No more slider button like on K3.
  • Improved Bezel design around screen. Corners are not sharp like the K3 and the design seems much less likely to attract cat hair which often sticks under the bezel of the K3.
  • Foreign dictionaries (at least 10) now come with your K4. They are loaded into your Kindle Archive and can be easily downloaded to your K4.
  • You can unsubscribe to Special Offers on a K4 SO. To do so, go to your Amazon Manage Your Kindle / Manage Your Devices web page. In the Subscribe column, click Edit next to your K4 SO. Follow the instructions on the screen that displays. You will be charged $30, which is the amount you received as a discount for buying a K4 SO model.

How does the K4 screen compare to the K3?

Many of us who own both a K3 and a K4 feel that the K4 screen is better. Just as many seem to think the K3 screen is better. This leads me to conclude that the screens on the K3 and a K4 are most likely too similar to say that one is consistently better than the other. I declare them equals. The fact that they are both using Pearl E Ink screens would seem to justify that analysis.

TIPS

I moved the Tips to their own thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...12&postcount=1

K4 Menus

Here is a posting I made several pages into this thread showing many of the menus. Menus links.

EDIT: First photos attached. New K4 has much improved screen over K3. K3 seems to reflect more glare and K4 seems to have better contrast.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-01.jpg
Views:	4232
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	77137   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-02.jpg
Views:	3034
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	77138   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-03.jpg
Views:	3299
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	77139   Click image for larger version

Name:	k4-05.jpg
Views:	2438
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	77142  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-09-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No unboxing video???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My new Kindle just arrived! I'm unpacking it now. I'll post photos and comparisons with my K3 as soon as I can.
Damm Jack! That was fast! lol ... pictures please, videos ... feedback ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Damn I wanted to be first!

Enjoy it!! I want to see pictures in anticipation of mine!!!
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Wow, UPS arrives early for you! My guy doesn't show up until after 6.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Wow, UPS arrives early for you! My guy doesn't show up until after 6.
My UPS guy is random...some days they're here at noon,other days we're waiting until past dinner time.

I just went to my front door to check if they left the box there without ringing (which they've done before)..no luck.

Last edited by Zeebra; 09-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Holy crap! The screen has a GREATLY increased contrast. Much improved even over the K3. I don't know how they did it since they both use Pearl screens. The K3 screen now looks dull and as though it has a layer in front of it, but the K4 looks terrific.

Photo coming in a few minutes!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Holy crap! The screen has a GREATLY increased contrast. Much improved even over the K3. I don't know how they did it since they both use Pearl screens. The K3 screen now looks dull and as though it has a layer in front of it, but the K4 looks terrific.

Damn if you did not just say the one thing that could interest me in the new kindles.

More please.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #9
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:

Stop teasing us and show that picture!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Jack,

what about landscape mode? Did they keep landscape mode? and if does, is the Kindle splitting page in two or not?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Which one did you get??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
Zeebra
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Which one did you get??
The only one that was shipping, the non-touch..not sure if he has the special offers one or not.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
drum roll

Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #14
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:

Dang...I did not need to hear that. I just ordered a K3 to replace my K1.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
The only one that was shipping, the non-touch..not sure if he has the special offers one or not.
Thanks, I just came here to find out what the shipping dates are on the different models, of course I have to wait until November for me Fire.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote