Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #451
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'll have to disagree with you. I find the thin bezels uncomfortable to hold. I'm always trying to find a position for my thumb that's not cramped or touching the screen. This problem is alleviated, to some extent, when using a good case but, with my NST and NST w/GL I don't have this problem at all.
I like the bezel on my KA1, it lives in a case and I very often hold it singlehanded. The one time I held a Glowlight 3, the bezel was way too large for me but that was outside a case. The other issue is that I don't live in the USA which makes any B&N product a non-starter.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #452
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I’m not one who sees much purpose in thick bezels. I hold my KA1 in one hand by making an L-shape with my thumb and index finger and resting the device in the crook. Very easy, very comfortable. I feel like gripping it by the side would eventually be less comfortable, but it’s been so long since I had the original Glowlight, I can’t say for sure. I really like the concept of physical buttons, though, and I’d enjoy being able to read entirely one-handed, which I can’t do with my holding “method”.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 12:50 AM   #453
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I like the bezel on my KA1, it lives in a case and I very often hold it singlehanded. The one time I held a Glowlight 3, the bezel was way too large for me but that was outside a case. The other issue is that I don't live in the USA which makes any B&N product a non-starter.
The Nook Simple Touch really isn't all that much bigger than many of the other popular eReaders of its time (and later). I think the rounded corners is what people really don't like about it (those who don't like it). It gives it a square look, even if it really isn't square.

Nook Simple Touch – 6.5" x 5" x .47"
Nook GlowLight 3 – 6.93" x 5" x .38"
Kindle Touch – 6.8" x 4.7" x .4"
Kindle 4 (No-Touch) – 6.5" x 4.5" x .34"
Kobo Aura One – 5.9" x 4.5" x .32"
Kobo Glo – 6.2" x 4.5" x .39"
Kindle Basic (8th Gen) – 6.3" x 4.5" x .36"
Kindle Paperwhite – 6.7" x 4.6" x .4"
Sony PRS-T2 – 5.7" x 4.1" x .33 (smallest in the list)
Pocketbook HD – 6.9" x 4.5" x .35"
Etc. ...

The Nooks are about .4" wider then the Kindle Paperwhite (the most popular eReader of all). We're talking about .2" on each each side (13/64"). It's not that huge.

(What surprised me is how small my Sony T2 is.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #454
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Barry, when you see the Glowlight 3 in person, it looks much better. In person, the bezel makes sense. But the software is the same as the latest software on the Glowlight Plus, including the grayed out dictionary. On the upside, the raised home button is back.
When I read with my Glowlight Plus I use google search on my phone for the dictionary. The Plus dictionary is just too hard to read. I can read it with effort but asking google search for a definition is much faster.

I tend to use the dictionary a lot when reading, not only for words whose meaning I'm not sure about but also for words used in an unexpected way. That's especially true when I read a British novel, where they use most words in unexpected ways. If only the British would learn English!

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:12 PM   #455
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
The Nooks are about .4" wider then the Kindle Paperwhite (the most popular eReader of all). We're talking about .2" on each each side (13/64"). It's not that huge.
It's not huge but small differences really matter on a handheld device. My current phone has a 5.1" screen and my previous phone had a 5" screen. They have similar sized bezels. That makes my current one stick a little farther out of my shirt pocket and I have to be more careful with it. It doesn't matter holding it. I think they're the same width, although the square sides of my older phone were more comfortable.

By the way, the square sides on my Kobo Aura original are one of the nicest things about it.

I'm going to have to have a talk with Moses about adding another commandment about the size of devices. I doubt anything else will help. Any phrasing suggestions will be appreciated.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #456
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The bezel of the nG3 is larger than the nook STR. It's almost big enough to fit a 6.8" screen.

The New Kobo Aura H2O - 5.08" x 6.77" x .35"

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-04-2017 at 06:39 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 AM   #457
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The bezel of the nG3 is larger than the nook STR. It's almost big enough to fit a 6.8" screen.

The New Kobo Aura H2O - 5.08" x 6.77" x .35"
And it has buttons for page turning on both sides -- and a "home" button at the bottom (unlike the Kobo). And it's comfortable to hold.

You'll be happy to know that a beta release firmware for the Nook GlowLight 3 has removed the partitioning scheme. So, soon, there should be almost 6 GBs of RAM available for side-loading (and Nook content) on the Glowlight 3.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #458
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
And it has buttons for page turning on both sides -- and a "home" button at the bottom (unlike the Kobo). And it's comfortable to hold.

You'll be happy to know that a beta release firmware for the Nook GlowLight 3 has removed the partitioning scheme. So, soon, there should be almost 6 GBs of RAM available for side-loading (and Nook content) on the Glowlight 3.
I find the H2O comfortable to hold and from what others have said, the H2O2 is even better to hold. As to not having buttons, I find that an advantage. You don't have to be careful not to accidentally press a button.

As for the beta firmware, I have been reading that thread and it will be good when it becomes released and the partitioning is no more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #459
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I *hope* it is released to the general public. With B&N, I'm not holding my breath. They make beautiful hardware that is typically more advanced than their competitors (in the same price point) and then hobble it with stupid business/software decisions.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:35 PM   #460
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
May I ask how you learned this?
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #461
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
May I ask how you learned this?
Head over to the Nook forums. It's in a thread called Nook Partitioning Update
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #462
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Now that the partition is on the way out, I wish they would unhide the internal browser.

Like I mentioned before, the only thing I read on the Nook other than ebooks is rss feeds via reabble.com. (designed for eink)

If they provided a link to the browser, as on the Kindle (or the Kobo, the last I looked) I wouldn't have to use an alternative launcher, just to get to built in browser.

I already asked them for this. I am hoping they get a few more requests and consider it.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM   #463
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
I already asked them for this. I am hoping they get a few more requests and consider it.
Any specific email address to write to? Or just general support?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #464
raindog89
Connoisseur

Quote:
Any specific email address to write to? Or just general support?
Hmmm,

I guess general support.

I was given this following address when a separate issue got escalated:
ExecutiveOfficeCustomerRelations@book.com
But I have not gotten responses to this afterwards.

People have also had success with the lriggio@bn.com as well.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #465
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Hmmm.

I just re-registered my NG3 and the User Guide has disappeared!

Do you suppose they're proof-reading and editing it now?

Better late than never!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote