Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yes. Pointing out other people who are getting away with even more dangerous (and oftentimes illegal as well) practices was the next logical step.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM   #62
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I can read in a car. But the constant jostling around of my arm and hence the kindle makes it tiring.

Reading on a plane is great. I get boredom sickness if I don't read on a plane.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #63
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I can read in a car. But the constant jostling around of my arm and hence the kindle makes it tiring.

Reading on a plane is great. I get boredom sickness if I don't read on a plane.
What's "boredom sickness"
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
What's "boredom sickness"
The inverse of motion sickness. It's the unpleasant feeling he gets when he DOESN'T read in a moving vehicle.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I have always been able to read in the car--ever since I was old enough to read! And if I'm driving, I listen to an audible book, or some type of talk radio (usually NPR). I apparently get bored in the car

Mary
You get bored so you listen to NPR and get even more bored?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #66
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The inverse of motion sickness. It's the unpleasant feeling he gets when he DOESN'T read in a moving vehicle.
Aha. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #67
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I tried reading on my PW going from Monroe to Ft. Atkinson and back last evening, and had no trouble with motion sickness. The road was a bit rough which made my PW shake even with me holding onto it tightly, and which made it harder to read, but no motion sickness problem at all. Have had motion sickness even just locally if trying to read off of LCD screen though so either it was the different suspension or the fact one is LCD and the other Eink that made the difference.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #68
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
You think you hear everything, but you do not. Anything blocking your ears affects your hearing, and with some of the very quiet cars we have today you are taking a big risk, which is why headphones are banned in many states.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #69
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
You think you hear everything, but you do not. Anything blocking your ears affects your hearing, and with some of the very quiet cars we have today you are taking a big risk, which is why headphones are banned in many states.
What should really be banned in all 50 states is talking on cell phone/texting while driving. A driver's attention should be fully engaged in operating the vehicle he/she is driving.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #70
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
What should really be banned in all 50 states is talking on cell phone/texting while driving. A driver's attention should be fully engaged in operating the vehicle he/she is driving.
IIUC, distracted driving is already against the law in most places. The problem is you usually have to wait until after there's an accident to stick that on someone. The laws concerning specific stuff like phones, etc, are supposedly stuff that a cop can see and cite you for before something happens.

That's the theory, I think.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #71
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've never been able to read for more than a couple of minutes in a moving car, just enough to check maps and guidebooks.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:39 PM   #72
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Yeah but I just take motion sickness medicine if I want to read.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #73
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Twice I have seen drivers reading books (yes, actual paper books) when driving. Every 10 seconds or so they would look up at the road. I wasn't driving those times so I was able to observe without potentially causing a crash.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #74
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmorgan View Post
I can't read for more than a minute or two without starting to feel nauseas when in a car. Anyone else have that problem? I have an hour a day in the car that I would love to be reading instead of doing nothing
I had a bit of trouble with car sickness as a child, but for some reason, this disappeared entirely before I actually learned to read well enough to read books. From that time on, I never get sick, and can read books in a car just fine.

Now I can also travel any way I want: forward, backward, or sideways (in a bus or train), lying down (all directions, on back or stomach, in a night train), and while reading, or not reading. It doesn't make a difference anymore.

(Now I actually get annoyed when I get asked for the 10th time in a week, mostly by old ladies: "Could I sit there? I really can't drive backwards!" It's not funny when it's busy on a train. Be glad that there's room to sit at all :X Therefore I now choose to drive backward if I can. Then it's guaranteed that I'm not asked to switch places.)

I think I'd be able to read a book while lying in a hammock, that's strung up in a car that's driving circles on the deck of a ship. (There. Now you're a "green" person too. That's in fashion, isn't it?)

Last edited by Katsunami; 06-05-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #75
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
Twice I have seen drivers reading books (yes, actual paper books) when driving. Every 10 seconds or so they would look up at the road. I wasn't driving those times so I was able to observe without potentially causing a crash.
I only read (past tense; I don't drive enough now to make it worth it) while stopped at traffic lights. Not in motion.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote