Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which sci-fi book shall we read for May's discussion?
In Times Like These: A Time Travel Adventure by Nathan van Coops 8 42.11%
Balance of Trade (Liaden Universe #3) by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller 5 26.32%
Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky 6 31.58%
The Collapsing Empire (The Interdependency #1) by John Scalzi 4 21.05%
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 9 47.37%
Kirinyaga by Mike Resnick 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #31
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The expense is absurd, but it is a good book. I just wish something less familiar had won, though. On the plus side, it should make for a good discussion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #32
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
Yeah, the book should be available in mass market paperback for no more than $6 or $7 (and that's even absurd, but what can you do, it's not the 60s and 70s anymore).

I got my copy a few years back at a used bookstore for a dollar, so if you hunt around, you can get it cheap. There are a bazillion copies floating about, so no need to spend ridiculous prices to obtain a copy.

-HM
There's also the option of the public library. I'm 9th on the hold list for a pool of 17 print copies at the Ottawa Public Library (there were 17 holds for the 3 epub copies). May is a common book report time for lots of Ottawa high school English lit students, from my memories of my kids' school days

Last edited by bfisher; 05-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #33
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The expense is absurd, but it is a good book. I just wish something less familiar had won, though.
It's such a high-concept and famous book that I wonder how many people really remember the story. I don't, beyond the barest of outlines. I even wonder how many think they've read it or claim to have read it when they really haven't. Or maybe just saw the movie. All of which is entirely understandable!

I'm curious to see how well it holds up, among other considerations. It goes without saying that it's a book that should be read, even if it proves to be a chestnut (and I doubt it will).
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #34
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I don't think that I've ever voted for the top two finishers before!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:18 AM   #35
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The bad news is that there's a waiting list at my library for the ebook. The good news is that the audiobook was available and I was able to download it to my Overdrive app. The further bad news is that I now have only 7 days to listen to it, so I'd better get started.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #36
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am #6 on 7 copies so I may not have it quite in time but shouldn't be much later.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #37
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
#7 on the list, one copy available. No chance at all that I'll get it in time. And $12 USD for a book I don't particularly want to read is not encouraging.

Good news is, there are two audio versions at the library, both currently available to borrow. One of them actually sounds like a good narration, at least on a quick sample. But I have so many books in my audio queue ahead of it...

Maybe. I'll at least borrow the MP3s for the one that sounds possible.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I see Tim Robbins is the narrator of the version at Hoopla. I'd expect him to be good and it's rated 4.4 stars at Audible. Since it's only 5 hours long and available on demand, I'll wait until closer to the discussion date before listening.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The library doesn't have the Tim Robbins version, but does have one read by Christopher Hurt that sounded possible. Wouldn't be WhisperSync'd, of course, even IF i were willing to spend $12 USD for it.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #40
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I am seeing Fahrenheit 451 on Kobo for $3.61 and in iTunes for $1.99. These are not the expensive Simon & Schuster 60th Anniversary edition which is all I could find at Amazon, BN, and is what is available in overdrive. I have never bought an iBook before but for $1.99 - I hit the buy button. Seems to be nicely formatted but has no copyright or publisher info in the book itself. Umm? The store description does say it is a paper book but you must have iBooks to read. Strange.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #41
CRussel
(he/him/his)

@Mims: I don't check the iBook version, but I strongly suspect the cheap Kobo version is an illegal copy. S&S owns the copyright, and the 60th Anniversary one is theirs. Any others are undoubtedly bogus and should not be bought.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #42
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am very careful about books I buy at Amazon, kobo, and BN because I have found they are very careless in vetting their books. I was surprised when my purchase went through because I expected that it was not meant for US store and was an edition available elsewhere. Didn't expect this with Apple.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:40 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
@Mims: I don't check the iBook version, but I strongly suspect the cheap Kobo version is an illegal copy. S&S owns the copyright, and the 60th Anniversary one is theirs. Any others are undoubtedly bogus and should not be bought.
I had a look on Kobo US and the price is $11.99 and it's from S&S.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #44
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I checked last night, and my mass market paperback is listed at $6.99, but I got it for $1 used.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #45
Mims
Addict

Before I came here, I posted in another thread that I have reported the questionable book to Apple and am awaiting their final response.

Just checked Kobo and I am still seeing the $3.16 book there. I'm in the US (little US FLAG showing at the top of the page) and signed in to my account. Wonder why I'm seeing it and JSWolf isn't.