Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
brims
brims began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Downgrade for PW2

Ok, I stupidly connected my PW2 to WiFi and it automatically updated itself to the wonderful new 5.4.2. My girlfriend and I have our Kindles on 1 account so all the Cloud Collections appear on mine. Does anyone know how to get ahold of the 5.4.0 firmware to downgrade? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We've already sent Amazon an email via their feedback address letting them know we don't like the changes they've made.
brims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I don't know about downgrading, but it is easy enough to delete the collections from a particular Kindle. I just removed them all from mine.

eta: OK, I take it back. Apparently deleting a collection deletes it from all devices. That is stupid.

Last edited by pidgeon92; 12-30-2013 at 12:08 PM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I don't know about downgrading, but it is easy enough to delete the collections from a particular Kindle. I just removed them all from mine.

eta: OK, I take it back. Apparently deleting a collection deletes it from all devices. That is stupid.
Yep, that is why we HATE 5.4.2. You now get ALL your Cloud Collections, like it or not! There is no longer any per device customization possible. It is like that for the Fires and in the Android and iOS apps too. Yuk!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I LOVE firmware version 5.4.2 and all its new features. I look forward to 5.4.3 as well.

I turn on WiFi when I am using my PW 2013 or HDX 2013 and then turn it off when I am done reading. I have never received those annoying messages which others have posted about here.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I LOVE firmware version 5.4.2 and all its new features. I look forward to 5.4.3 as well.

I turn on WiFi when I am using my PW 2013 or HDX 2013 and then turn it off when I am done reading. I have never received those annoying messages which others have posted about here.
Simaru--You're post is irrelevant to the problem the OP has. In his case, there are two different Kindle users on the same account. Both of them understandably want their own collections on their own kindles and don't care to see the other user's collections. The new 5.4.2 firmware for the KPW2 makes this impossible.

This isn't a problem for me as I don't use collections and I don't share me Amazon account with anyone else. But, I certainly hope that Amazon fixes this, and definitely understand why many many KPW2 users are frustrated with the new update!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:

Simaru : the OP asked for help. Not only are you not giving him any, and your post is absolutely useless, but you add insult to injury by being sarcastic on top of it.

I have now come to the conclusion, after having had to read thousands of your unqualified posts throughout this subforum, that you may be the world champion in Bible reading, but you have obviously missed its main message : Kindness. You are just plain mean..
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kindle Collections CAN be used by two people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Simaru--You're post is irrelevant to the problem the OP has. In his case, there are two different Kindle users on the same account. Both of them understandably want their own collections on their own kindles and don't care to see the other user's collections. The new 5.4.2 firmware for the KPW2 makes this impossible.

This isn't a problem for me as I don't use collections and I don't share me Amazon account with anyone else. But, I certainly hope that Amazon fixes this, and definitely understand why many many KPW2 users are frustrated with the new update!
My wife and I use the Collection feature in the Kindles. I have one Collection Label for the eBooks she is reading and another Label for the eBooks I am reading.

All our other Labels are for eBooks which we have both read (History, Biography, Fiction, Bible Study, etc.). It works perfectly for us and maybe the OP should just use the same work around we use.

It appears the main problem with Collections for many is simply their Labeling conventions - NOT the firmware.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
It works perfectly for us and maybe the OP should just use the same work around we use.
When you refer to what you and your wife do as a "work around" you might as well admit that this version of the firmware is not well designed. We do not need to "work around" well designed firmware that addresses user needs. I understand that you like the Kindle, as do I, but it is important to let them know when they do not perform to their usual quality standards.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
My wife and I use the Collection feature in the Kindles. I have one Collection Label for the eBooks she is reading and another Label for the eBooks I am reading.

All our other Labels are for eBooks which we have both read (History, Biography, Fiction, Bible Study, etc.). It works perfectly for us and maybe the OP should just use the same work around we use.

It appears the main problem with Collections for many is simply their Labeling conventions - NOT the firmware.
Glad you found a "work around" that works for you and your wife--but that doesn't mean it's optimal--hence the description "work around". And just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will work that well for others. If my husband had a Kindle and shared an Amazon account with me, I can assure you, it would annoy the heck out of me to have to see his collections on my reader. I could live with it, but our reading interests are in no way similar to each other and I would hate to have to wade through his collections when trying to get to my books. As I said before, luckily for me, these issues don't affect me, but that doesn't stop me from realizing what a phenomenal pain they would be for some users.

I do hope that Amazon does come out with an updated firmware soon and they address the issue. Ideally, for "cloud collections" I think there should be an web interface that you could choose which collections belong to each Kindle and allow you to add/delete books to collections without having to use a Kindle. And there is no valid reason that I can come up with that books not on your Kindle should show up (albeit grayed out) under the device view. That's what the cloud view is for.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The good news is there is a somewhat techy way to downgrade the firmware. Our local Kindle Developers Corner is busy as usual and has gotten an image of the 5.4.0 partition which can be flashed through diags mode and scary stuff etc. and so forth....

If you're up to it, here is the link: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

And at some point, after Ixtab gets off his holiday break, he will create an easy install method.

You will need to jailbreak, and there is no non-jailbreak image since the install is based off a jailbroken firmware.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
The good news is there is a somewhat techy way to downgrade the firmware. Our local Kindle Developers Corner is busy as usual and has gotten an image of the 5.4.0 partition which can be flashed through diags mode and scary stuff etc. and so forth....

If you're up to it, here is the link: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/PW2/README.txt

And at some point, after Ixtab gets off his holiday break, he will create an easy install method.

You will need to jailbreak, and there is no non-jailbreak image since the install is based off a jailbroken firmware.
Yep, that's why I keep shrines in my house to worship ixtab and NiLuJe
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
sirmaru
Wizard

I AGREE !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Glad you found a "work around" that works for you and your wife--but that doesn't mean it's optimal--hence the description "work around". And just because it works for you, doesn't mean it will work that well for others. If my husband had a Kindle and shared an Amazon account with me, I can assure you, it would annoy the heck out of me to have to see his collections on my reader. I could live with it, but our reading interests are in no way similar to each other and I would hate to have to wade through his collections when trying to get to my books. As I said before, luckily for me, these issues don't affect me, but that doesn't stop me from realizing what a phenomenal pain they would be for some users.

I do hope that Amazon does come out with an updated firmware soon and they address the issue. Ideally, for "cloud collections" I think there should be an web interface that you could choose which collections belong to each Kindle and allow you to add/delete books to collections without having to use a Kindle. And there is no valid reason that I can come up with that books not on your Kindle should show up (albeit grayed out) under the device view. That's what the cloud view is for.
You are CORRECT. There should be a web site where Collections could be customized with proper Labels and then assigned to all our devices (my wife and I share FOUR Kindles). Books could then be assigned to Labels at the web site. Doing all this on a Kindle, itself, is more challenging.

Amazon is continually improving their devices and firmware and it is highly likely we will see this proposed web site in 2014.

In the meantime, as with all devices from PC's to phones to cars to eReaders, we have to use workarounds until changes are made by the manufacturers. It is also LIKELY that new features will only apply to new devices not yet available and we will still have to use workarounds on our older devices.

Last edited by sirmaru; 12-30-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by brims View Post
Ok, I stupidly connected my PW2 to WiFi and it automatically updated itself to the wonderful new 5.4.2. My girlfriend and I have our Kindles on 1 account so all the Cloud Collections appear on mine. Does anyone know how to get ahold of the 5.4.0 firmware to downgrade?
I wouldn't rush into downgrading too quickly as there are signs that a fix from Amazon may be in the pipeline. I have had the same problem with multiple accounts and found the workaround detailed in posts 15 and 16 of the following thread to be useable for now.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229984
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

Unfortunately, a simple .bin file to roll back to 5.4.0 appears to be a tall order (even though I have great faith in our developers!)...read knc1's comment about that here. I wouldn't hold my breath.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
Unfortunately, a simple .bin file to roll back to 5.4.0 appears to be a tall order (even though I have great faith in our developers!)...read knc1's comment about that here. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Maybe use a .bin that requires booting into diags mode to run. Whatever, I agree that they'll figure something out. And they'll make it as simple as copy the file, click a few buttons.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote