Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
KyleSnyder
KyleSnyder will become famous soon enoughKyleSnyder will become famous soon enoughKyleSnyder will become famous soon enoughKyleSnyder will become famous soon enoughKyleSnyder will become famous soon enoughKyleSnyder will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Looking for Epic Fantasy with Lots of Action

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for epic fantasy novels that contain lots of action, preferably those that aren't too over-descriptive with unnecessary details.

Please do not recommend The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia, seeing that I've already read those. Also, I'm not really interested in Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts.
KyleSnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
I'm looking for epic action with lots of fantasy, but enough about my sex life..............

Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSnyder View Post
The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for epic fantasy novels that contain lots of action, preferably those that aren't too over-descriptive with unnecessary details.

Please do not recommend The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings or Chronicles of Narnia, seeing that I've already read those. Also, I'm not really interested in Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts.
How about The Dragonlance Chronicles? They aren't great literature, but I enjoyed them when I was younger. Lots of running around, narrow escapes and all that.

If you enjoy them the authors did a follow-up trilogy called Dragonlance Legends, though the original series doesn't have a cliffhanger, teaser ending or anything like that.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-05-2017 at 10:17 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also enjoyed Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:26 AM   #5
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Have you tried "The Legend of Drizzt" series? It is up to 31 books now. I enjoyed the first six, which comprise two complete trilogies.

I haven't continued with the others, but may at some point when I get my TRB list down.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #6
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Sunset Warrior Series. Massively exoctic and violent. Gets more epic as it goes along.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Sunset Warrior Series. Massively exoctic and violent. Gets more epic as it goes along.
I read the first Sunset Warrior book years ago and rated it two stars. I have the whole trilogy. Maybe I should try it again?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I read the first Sunset Warrior book years ago and rated it two stars. I have the whole trilogy. Maybe I should try it again?
If you're referring to the Eric van Lustbader series, it's 5-books isn't it, not 3?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Pretty much anything by David Gemmell.

If you've not read his work, start with Legend and enjoy.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:28 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you're referring to the Eric van Lustbader series, it's 5-books isn't it, not 3?
I guess. Though it looks like it was a trilogy that continued as the royalty checks came in. The first three books were published back to back and the copy on Dai-san indicated it was the finale. I'll also note the Amazon review titled "A solid, if unspectacular, conclusion to a worthy trilogy"

At any rate, I remember thinking the first book (the only one I read) was poorly written. I dunno. Maybe I should try again.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:33 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSnyder View Post

@Kyle:

Could you list a few that you really liked? Books or series? That would be enormously helpful in knowing which books to recommend.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
There is always George Martin's "Song of Fire and Ice" series (a.k.a. Game of Thrones), though the last two of seven books are not yet published. No shortage of action but it does follow many characters. Hint -- don't get too attached to any, lol.

Jim Butcher's "Codex Alera" series probably qualifies as epic fantasy and certainly is action packed.

Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion" collection fits, probably most approachable through the "Elric of Melnibone" series.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:55 PM   #13
sourts
sourts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'd have to second Penforhire's recommendation. Song of Ice and Fire is definitely what I would read. There's a reason it has become so popular!
sourts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #14
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess. Though it looks like it was a trilogy that continued as the royalty checks came in. The first three books were published back to back and the copy on Dai-san indicated it was the finale. I'll also note the Amazon review titled "A solid, if unspectacular, conclusion to a worthy trilogy"

At any rate, I remember thinking the first book (the only one I read) was poorly written. I dunno. Maybe I should try again.
I loved it and have read it many times. The first book is less fantasy and epic then book 2 and 3. Book 4 and 5 are good but told from the POV of another character. Anyway, each to their own, but I think book 1-3 are little-known classics. Maybe my tastes are in a minority. I'd be curious to know what your views of it are if you try it again.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM   #15
Pajamaman
Wizard

If you haven't read the original Conan, it is amazing. Start with The Tower of the Elephant and Rogues in the House. Amazing stuff that defined the genre.