Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
ShapeShifter499
ShapeShifter499 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Silver
Can I mount a USB drive on a Kindle?

I just got a fairly good condition Kindle 4 (no-touch) from a local Goodwill couple of days ago.. I was sorta surprised they had so many e-readers. I loaded some library rented e-books and played around. I eventually found the jailbreak and preformed it on my device.

I hope this is the right form for this question. Can I mount a USB drive on the Kindle in a similar fashion to using a OTG cable?

If a different Kindle supports USB host mount, let me know. I was looking at getting a 3G enabled Kindle for the ease of transferring books.

Last edited by ShapeShifter499; 06-17-2017 at 09:45 AM. Reason: More info
ShapeShifter499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Hi! @ShapeShifter499, It seems pretty possible and there are a host of threads on OTG connections. But I doubt if it work on non-jb kindle! Also, AFAICT I haven't seen USB mounting using OTG.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:02 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter499 View Post
I just got a fairly good condition Kindle 4 (no-touch) from a local Goodwill couple of days ago.. I was sorta surprised they had so many e-readers. I loaded some library rented e-books and played around. I eventually found the jailbreak and preformed it on my device.

I hope this is the right form for this question. Can I mount a USB drive on the Kindle in a similar fashion to using a OTG cable?

If a different Kindle supports USB host mount, let me know. I was looking at getting a 3G enabled Kindle for the ease of transferring books.
On a K4?
No way.

tl;dr: No
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
ShapeShifter499

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
On a K4?
No way.

tl;dr: No

Does this include all of the Kindle e-ink readers?
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter499 View Post
Does this include all of the Kindle e-ink readers?
Currently, yes.

Some have the capability but no one has posted the add-in to do it with.
(None come from Amazon with USB storage support, someone will have to make an add-in package that implements it.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:06 PM   #6
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I have built up the kernel modules to enable this on my PW3.

I get my drive device created at /dev/sda1

I mount that into /mnt/us/documents/sda1

But it is not triggering a rescan of that folder, as if I had copied it into the filesystem.

I imagine that there could be somethings about this 'fuse' filesystem I don't understand, but that's a naive guess.

I have also tired these lipc commands:

This one the log says triggering partial scan, but nothing happens.
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.scanner triggerUpdate 1
This one says invalid parameter
Code:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.scanner reScanFile /mnt/us/documents/sda1

Even if I did get this working, I imagine the kindle would not be terribly happy with having the folder plugged in and unplugged etc. ( If would re-index when you plugged it in every time? and then delete the caches when removed? )

I have not yet tested what happens to the mount point if it goes to sleep, or if having the usb plugged in prevents suspend mode.

Last edited by coplate; 06-17-2017 at 02:08 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 AM   #7
ShapeShifter499

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I have built up the kernel modules to enable this on my PW3.

Could you share how you did this? I don't know where the source code for all this stuff is as I'm pretty new to the Kindle e-ink line.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
The open source code for the paperwhite 3 stuff is here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720

I followed amazons directions with the cross compiler and built the linux package inside of it.

To get the USB storage drivers, I had to add the following to the .config that get created after running thier configuration command:
CONFIG_SCSI
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE

I actually ran the amazon supplied build command first. Then added these to the .config and re-ran it, so I would get the names of the .ko kernel modules while watching the output of the build script, since it didn't re-build everything.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote