Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll second The Great Siege.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:38 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can anyone find a history book that's not too large, not too expensive and available in the USA at Overdrive?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 01:38 PM   #48
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can anyone find a history book that's not too large, not too expensive and available in the USA at Overdrive?
Sure, Jon. I nominate Tracy Kidder's The Soul of a New Machine. Meets all your criteria, AND it's an excellent read.

Price -- $2.99 USD at Amazon.
Length -- 297 Pages
Overdrive -- of course. No holds at the Boston Public Library, but it is currently checked out. (There is also an Overdrive audio version, btw.)

Amazon description:
Quote:
Pulitzer Prize winner Tracy Kidder memorably records the drama, comedy, and excitement of one company's efforts to bring a new microcomputer to market.
Computers have changed since 1981, when The Soul of a New Machine first examined the culture of the computer revolution. What has not changed is the feverish pace of the high-tech industry, the go-for-broke approach to business that has caused so many computer companies to win big (or go belly up), and the cult of pursuing mind-bending technological innovations.
The Soul of a New Machine is an essential chapter in the history of the machine that revolutionized the world in the twentieth century.
I will add that I am NOT going to read about Nazi Germany, not even the end of it. In fact, I'm actively not going to read or support any war related book, which also rules out Churchill, I'm afraid.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #49
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll second Bill Bryson's One Summer. Should be a good read, and I was able to score it from the library.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Sure, Jon. I nominate Tracy Kidder's The Soul of a New Machine. Meets all your criteria, AND it's an excellent read.

Price -- $2.99 USD at Amazon.
Length -- 297 Pages
Overdrive -- of course. No holds at the Boston Public Library, but it is currently checked out. (There is also an Overdrive audio version, btw.)
I second this. Thanks. Sounds interesting and yes, it fits my criteria.

I am first in like at Boston and Brooklyn public libraries. I'll cancel it at whatever library I don't get it from.
Advert
Old 10-21-2017, 02:03 PM   #51
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I second this. Thanks. Sounds interesting and yes, it fits my criteria.
I read it years ago in hardback, and absolutely devoured it. I'd nominate his more recent Mountains Beyond Mountains, but at $12.99 it's really too expensive for this group. A wonderful book, and if you can score a copy at the library, I highly recommend it. But at $13, it's too rich for here.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #52
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think I've recorded all the nominations to this point, but if you've given a nod to something and don't see it noted in the second post of this thread, be sure and speak up!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I read it years ago in hardback, and absolutely devoured it. I'd nominate his more recent Mountains Beyond Mountains, but at $12.99 it's really too expensive for this group. A wonderful book, and if you can score a copy at the library, I highly recommend it. But at $13, it's too rich for here.
I'll see how I get on with the other and then if I like it, I'll see if I can get this one.

Question, what's with the new Kindle eBooks layout at Amazon.com? It's awful.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:44 PM   #54
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I'll see how I get on with the other and then if I like it, I'll see if I can get this one.

Question, what's with the new Kindle eBooks layout at Amazon.com? It's awful.
You might want to get on the wait list for Mountains. It's probably got a decent length one.

Not sure what you mean about Amazon. It's been as it current is for a while, at least as I'm seeing it. And I don't dislike it.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #55
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I second The Last Castle: The Epic Story of Love, Loss, and American Royalty in the Nation's Largest Home by Denise Kiernan. The story of the Vanderbilts and their continuing influence on this country and our world sounds timely.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #56
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I second Wounded.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #57
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I third The Great Siege.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

We need a third on The Soul of A New Machine. It's available on Overdrive and if you cannot get it there, it's not expensive and it sounds like an interesting read that's not too long. Please third it.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:05 PM   #59
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I third One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #60
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
My second nomination goes to Wounded: A New History of the Western Front in World War I

This month has a lot of promising books, i’ll probably end up buying multiple suggestions. Thanks guys
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote