Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Useless dictionary!

I just need to have a small rant about the English dictionary provided by Kobo.
I don't often need to look up a word but yesterday I found 'propitiatory' in the book I'm reading. So I pressed for a definition as it wasn't clear from the context.

Kobo provides this:

Quote:
Propitiatory
1. intended to propitiate: expiatory
2. of or relating to propitiation.
So I pressed 'propitiation' and got:

Quote:
1. the act of propitiating
2. something that propitiates
3. an atoning sacrifice
I now know I should have pressed propitiate next to get the actual definition but why isn't the word explained under propitiatory in the first place!

NB while I'm ranting - expiatory, according to Kobo dictionary, means serving to expiate. Who produces the dictionary definitions for Kobo - Baldrick and Prince George? It's about as much use as they were to Blackadder!!

( Blackadder series 3 episode 2: Ink and Incapability )
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #2
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Unhappy

I completely agree. And the number of entries is pretty limited, too. Try reading books where characters are using proper English with a pleasant vocabulary and… whoosh! Nothing to see, move along.

The English dictionary is also very limited when it comes to common technical words. That is bad, because what we need are definitions for words that we don't know, and not 4 screens on "horse" or "house".
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I don't see any credits for the dictionary in the current firmware. But, previously it was shown as a Mirriam-Webster dictionary. From memory, there are several different levels of the dictionary and from the count of definitions it was the smallest free dictionary.

And yes, there are some "interesting" definitions. Generally, I don't many problems with the dictionary supplied, but it is a pity that Kobo don't offer an upgrade to other dictionaries.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
dvd8n
Connoisseur
dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.dvd8n will give the Devil his due.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Hanvon h516, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
it is a pity that Kobo don't offer an upgrade to other dictionaries.
Absolutely. I'd pay money for a better dictionary. It's really noticeable how poor the dictionary is compared to the one on my last Sony.
dvd8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
If you look up propitiatory in the UK edition of the default Kindle dictionary, you'll get the following definition from the Oxford Dictionary of English:

Quote:
propitiate /prəˈpɪʃɪeɪt/ v. [with obj.] win or regain the favour of (a god, spirit, or person) by doing something that pleases them: the pagans thought it was important to propitiate the gods with sacrifices. <DERIVATIVES> propitiation n. propitiator n. propitiatory adj.
If dictionary quality is important to you, you might want to consider a Kindle or a Kindle app. Since the apps come with same dictionaries as the Kindles, you can install any of the Kindle apps and test the coverage of the dictionaries.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 04:32 AM   #6
OrientalReader
OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.OrientalReader 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
yep, i totally agree. got those annoying definitions several times! does anyone know a good free dictionary like wiktionary in kobo format?
OrientalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:35 AM   #7
indyglow
Connoisseur
indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.indyglow is the One.

Device: iPad Air, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Alternate dictionaries are available here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196925
indyglow is offline   Reply With Quote