Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-08-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Bookmaker's rant

So....

I know this is a how-to forum, and all that. But there's no V&R thread for bookmakers, which has always surprised me a bit. Anyway...

Today, I recieved a PDF--made by a professional, mind you, a print layout person, using INDD--which has, wait for it....

Spoiler:
56 effing fonts.

And NO, I don't mean, 8 fonts with 48 variants, I mean, mother-of-God, 56 DIFFERENT Typefaces, and only Christ knows how many FONTS!

For the love of heaven! How the hell am I supposed to pull that miracle out of my ? (Polite body part substituted for my usual).

I'm still gobsmacked.

Spoiler:
AjazSurrealFreak; AceCrikey; ActionIs, Shaded JL, Algerian; AlgerianMesa; Arial-black; ArtBrush; AvenirNext; BabyKruffy; Bauhaus93; BernardMT; Birdfeather; Blacksword; BodoniMT; BradleyHandITCTT; Calibri; Chalkduster; CheriLiney; ChillerPlain; Cochin; ComicNeue; ComicSans; CowSpots; CubicSub; CurlzMT; Distress; Drunker-sRB; Electrik; FirecatMedium; FjallaOne; FlutSaus; FontdinerdotcomSparkly; FranklinGothic-Heavy; Fresnel; goudyOldStyleT; HayStackMFWide; Heartland Regular; Helvetica; InkbleedRegularSWFTE; JandaSparkleandShine-Bold; Jokerman; Kinkie; Monotypee corsiva; Monsterjelly; Noteworthy-Bold; OogieBoogie; Phosphate-Inline; Pumpkin; SavoyeLetPlain; Schrift; SketchBoards; Souvenir Bold; Stencil; Thickhead; TNR; Wingdings.

Nope, not kidding. And, btw, half of those have different fontfaces/variants, like AvenirNext Narrow, etc. I can't guess at the total final number; maybe 75? Hell, maybe 100?

Anyone here want to take bets on the chances of us ever getting that to work, in MOBI format? The odds? Howza 'bout, ZERO? Sweet Moses on a pony, trying to get SIX fonts to work in a book is a miracle. 56? FIFTY-SIX?

Not to mention, what are they going to say, when they see a KF7 version??????????????????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
To be honest, there comes a point where it is more profitable to turn down a job than to attempt to please a customer.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
To be honest, there comes a point where it is more profitable to turn down a job than to attempt to please a customer.
NO, really?

;-)

Hitch
Old 12-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Always a good sign too when you only recognize like 5 of the fonts. "Monotypee corsiva" gave me a chuckle. I'm certain that's 100% totally legit and properly licensed.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
Always a good sign too when you only recognize like 5 of the fonts. "Monotypee corsiva" gave me a chuckle. I'm certain that's 100% totally legit and properly licensed.
I know, right? I have an extensive--extensive--library of fonts, well in the thousands, and I don't recognize at least 80% of them. Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze.

Hitch
Old 12-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Apart from all the technical and legal difficulties - I am sure that thing LOOKS just plain awefulsome...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Apart from all the technical and legal difficulties - I am sure that thing LOOKS just plain awefulsome...
It's a MG reader (Middle Grade, so presumably, for 7-9 year olds), so I'm not sure that we can judge, as, allegedly, we're all adults here. But it's not my taste, no.

Hitch
Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM   #8
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
It's a MG reader (Middle Grade, so presumably, for 7-9 year olds), so I'm not sure that we can judge, as, allegedly, we're all adults here. But it's not my taste, no.

Hitch
Bombarding the poor kids with a gazillion fonts - I know that kind of book (in print). I think it is totally the wrong way to go; doesn't help them to focus at all. I bet those 56 fonts come in 57 colours too, with 58 kinds of frames around 59 sizes of text block and 60 flavours of underlining, right?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Bombarding the poor kids with a gazillion fonts - I know that kind of book (in print). I think it is totally the wrong way to go; doesn't help them to focus at all. I bet those 56 fonts come in 57 colours too, with 58 kinds of frames around 59 sizes of text block and 60 flavours of underlining, right?
LOL, pretty much. Plus, they are gigantic-sized--towering over the rest of the text, and yes, in different colors, etc. No end to it.

Hitch
Old 12-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #10
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Reminds me of the 'nineties and beginner website builders. What's the good of all those fonts if you don't use them all on every page?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Reminds me of the 'nineties and beginner website builders. What's the good of all those fonts if you don't use them all on every page?
lol, indeed, and the beginning of The Scourge of Comic Sans.

Hitch
Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
congrats! it's gotta be david carsons book? is it?
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
congrats! it's gotta be david carsons book? is it?
Apparently, I'm no longer cool, because I have NO idea who that is. Who is that?

Wait, you mean, THAT David Carson?The Graphic designer? Oh, hell no, I'm pretty sure he knows how to make his own book.

No, this is a retail book.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 12-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #14
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Today, I recieved a PDF--made by a professional, mind you, a print layout person, using INDD--which has, wait for it....

Spoiler:
56 effing fonts.
Are you sure they were a pro? In design, isn't one of the first things you learn: "Stick with a few fonts"?
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Are you sure they were a pro? In design, isn't one of the first things you learn: "Stick with a few fonts"?
It's certainly one of the first things you learn in design. So, a good question.

Hitch