Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question Square trade plans

Amazon uk no longer offer the extanded qnd accidental dqmage square trade add ons, for kindles or for anything else. I cannot find out why, or what alternatives exist.
I messaged amazon but no response so far
Has there been a coporate divorce,or trial separation ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
You know. As cheap as most e-readers are. Who really needs an extended warranty. They charge 25% or more of the unit price for extended. Since most people trade out in a years time I wouldn't even spend the money. There more than square trade.....Amazon has a few different choices...
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
You know. As cheap as most e-readers are. Who really needs an extended warranty.
If you have a basic Kindle, I agree, but if one is prone to breaking devices, as some people seem to be, an extended warranty on a £300+ KO2 may be a sensible idea.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can we debate the actual question please, and not the pros and cons of extended warranties.
Take it as a given that i would like to buy one , the question is why are they no.longer on sale.
I can find no.relevant information - searching amazon indicates they have vanished, across the whole store and with no.alternatives. i doubt anyone else in uk is selling kindles or other fire devices with extended accidental damage cover but if anyone has a link i will take a look.
This is messing with my planned xmas gifting.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
. There more than square trade.....Amazon has a few different choices...
Evidence please. I cannot find any
Old 11-12-2017, 01:27 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Since most people trade out in a years time...
Really? Most people? Lordy - I think I still have my red, white and blue sear-sucker bell bottom pants from the 70's. And a few Leisure Suits as well. Why trade out so frequently?

When I bought my Fire HD8 a few months ago, I bought the SquareTrade extended warranty ($20) for it. In retrospect, that was kind of stupid, since (on sale) I only paid $49 for the tablet. I guess it wasn't just 'in retrospect" that it was stupid, I questioned that at the time I bought the warranty. But I bought it anyway, since it was less than the cost of eating dinner out.

I just bought a Kindle PW3, on sale too - I think it was $89, and I did not buy an extended warranty this time.

In all likelihood, the Fire will die or be damaged long before the Kindle, so I guess if I was going to throw away my money, I might as well throw it away the the Fire rather than on the Kindle.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could perhaps buy a plan from Squaretrade directly:

www.squaretrade.co.uk
Old 11-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
webjunk
Enthusiast
webjunk began at the beginning.

Device: None
Buy from John Lewis for a two year guarantee. Get the added cover if you wish.
webjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I have no idea why Square Trade are no longer covering Kindles, for a while a company called Canopy replaced Square Trade but then they reappeared. This year it's a completely new company and the warranty has to be purchased on the same day as the kindle, which is quite restrictive, so my guess is the plans are tightening up.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Can we debate the actual question please, and not the pros and cons of extended warranties.
Take it as a given that i would like to buy one , the question is why are they no.longer on sale.
I can find no.relevant information - searching amazon indicates they have vanished, across the whole store and with no.alternatives. i doubt anyone else in uk is selling kindles or other fire devices with extended accidental damage cover but if anyone has a link i will take a look.
This is messing with my planned xmas gifting.
Other than phoning Square Trade and asking them you're best bet is John Lewis.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Looking at the Square Trade website, they mention phones and tablets, but not readers. Perhaps they're no longer offering plans for such devices?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could perhaps buy a plan from Squaretrade directly:

www.squaretrade.co.uk
I thought of that, found their site, could not see any way to actually buy anything though, just a description of why buying a plan is a good idea....

I wonder if they are going out of business, and also if amazon are planning to launch their own plans and so are ditching their partnerships.
Maybe some plan offer pops up at checkout, I have not gone that far yet as a test
Old 11-12-2017, 03:32 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Other than phoning Square Trade and asking them you're best bet is John Lewis.
Looked at John Lewis , at the kobo, no extended warranties on offer.
Pc world sell 3 year cover at extortionate rates, nothing at argos, nothing at w h smith....

Almost makes one wonder about device build quality when no one is willing to market extended cover.
Compare that with say a new TV, I can get 6 years cover for free from richer sounds. Or with a new sonos wifi speaker, or a set of. I see those with free 6 year warranty also at one site.
Yet no one wants to guarantee that a kindle will last 13 months ? And no one will insure a kobo against a broken screen....

Maybe richer sounds should start to sell e readers. They do 5 or 6 year cover on everything they do sell, either free or at 10 percent of purchase price for their supercover. And their warranties are transferable.

Last edited by stumped; 11-12-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
I thought of that, found their site, could not see any way to actually buy anything though, just a description of why buying a plan is a good idea....
There’s a phone number on the site. Perhaps give them a ring in the morning and ask?
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM   #15
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There’s a phone number on the site. Perhaps give them a ring in the morning and ask?
Maybe, though I am more inclined to phone amazon, if they don't answer the email, and ask why they won't guarantee their own product for 2 years. Offer to buy one now if they add extended cover just to see what they propose instead
( but my original plan was to buy nothng before black friday )
I suspect that amazon are planning either to partner with a different insurer, or to launch their own extended cover. It is not smart for them to have no options on offer at all in the run up to xmas.

Looking also at ebay to get a feel for used prices, thiugh there is always the small risk of buying something blacklisted. I see some listings there for blocked kindles and surely "blocked " really means stolen .