Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question how to debug auto wake/ sleep

we have a fire for kids bundle - that's the 2016 Fire HD 8 with some extra software and a silicone rubber edge protector...
.. because there is no protection for front of screen I decided last week to move it into a folio style case with auto sleep/wake..
I have now tried 2 different cases, a WIZFUN one that I returned thinking it was faulty and a hard shell amazon book style one now in use, both said to do the sleep wake trick.

but they don't.

There ARE magnets in the amazon cover - I can stick paperclips to it, but no matter how I position and waggle it - no joy. I also tried moving the strongly magnetized case from my HDX all over the HD 8 screen but I cannot get auto wake to kick in.

so do I have a faulty tablet or is it not working by design?
AFAIK the fire for kids 2016 bundle was the same hardware as the regular Fire HD 8 (2016). I tried reading old reviews but none mention this feature or lack of..
So I am 0 for 2 on two cases with a 3rd , different make, oneon its way via ebay from China. if that does not work either, I will have to conclude its the tablet , not the cases. then it is a question of "is it supposed to work" or not.

Is there any safe way to run other tests e.g. with fridge magnets. I know that magnets and magnetic storage do not play nice together so I am a bit wary...
Ideally, some kind person out there with the exact same bundle from amazon will give me feedback. or even someone with a regular Fire HD 8 2016. I did have one of those but I sold it, without a case, & now I cannot remember if it had this issue or not..
I have also written to amazon & will update here if I get a sensible reply

Last edited by stumped; 12-10-2017 at 04:45 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

update - well when i finally checked the " bout device" info on the tablet - it says 7th gen. I thought I'd bought it before that release date
that could explain all, cases for 6th gen will not work with sleep wake on 7th gen ?
when did amazon uk begin selling the 2017 model ?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #3
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
update - well when i finally checked the " bout device" info on the tablet - it says 7th gen. I thought I'd bought it before that release date
that could explain all, cases for 6th gen will not work with sleep wake on 7th gen ?

I have both a 6 and 7th gen of the HD8. You NEED the exact case for each model for the on/off function to work. I just tried the cover on my 6th gen laid on top on my 7th gen and it will NOT turn off the tablet.

Hope this helps.
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM   #4
stumped
Wizard

Sorted then, except I am pleading with an eBay seller to cancel yet another 2016 case ordered and paid for this morning !
Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #5
Breathinlady
Zealot
Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Breathinlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Fire HD,HD6,10HD,2 Fire Phones iPod touch, iPad3, Nexus 10
]seller to cancel yet another 2016 case ordered and paid for this morning ![/QUOTE]

I hope by now you have a cover that works with your Fire 8.
Breathinlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathinlady View Post
]seller to cancel yet another 2016 case ordered and paid for this morning !
I hope by now you have a cover that works with your Fire 8.[/QUOTE]
Well I do understand what is needed now. The cover and the device have to match, on year.
So with my new hd 10, the cheap 2015 Amazon cover did not work, and did not fit well, i reluctantly paid the Amazon price for an Amazon 2017 one, at 30% of the tablet price, and it works.
I like the hard shell folding covers that grip only back and sides, leaving the front screen completely uncoverd, and no third party ones do that
So the same expensive solution should work for the 8. The Ebay seller, mokocases, did let me off the mistake of ordering yet another 2016 one.