more options -- please specify 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
venkatesh
venkatesh began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs 700
ebook preview

Folks,

I have put together a ebook previewing service.

World is Flat http://nuggetize.com/world-is-flat-235?expand=1
The Selfish Gene http://nuggetize.com/theselfishgene?expand=1

Please let me know if you find such tools useful to read snippets from
a book, either before buying or for researching after reading.

Regards,
-venkatesh
venkatesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #2
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
I can't figure out, what you are previewing. The content? Then there is the question of copyright, while unrelated text passages are not truly helpful... and it would be more book related, than ebook related... Also I then prefer a real review.
The layout? I don't think so, it doesn't look like it.

I fear I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure what?

Bye
opitzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
I do not. My reading is selected by previous received knowledge of the subject, who are the influential authors, and what are the well written influential books. I don't blindly stagger from Author, to Book to Controversy, ... to Omerta (ha ha, not Omega).
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Amazon and Smashwords already allow free samples. What extra value does your service bring to the table?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
venkatesh

This is a small tool that I am experimenting with. I think book buying is a both social (recommendations) and personal (exploration) statement. I am trying to come up with an interface which can extract the concepts the book talks about and lets an user read snippets about those concepts.
There is work to be done in showing more relevant snippets.
If users find this exploration of concepts in a book useful, then it is easy to get the rest of the work done to enhance the usability and quality of the product.

Yes, there are other products which can show preview of the content. But I am not sure if they can show the concepts that the book talks about
For example: What does "The Selfish Gene" talk w.r.t to game theory?

Thanks for your inputs and keep it coming.
Please also suggest if you have any suggestions to what kind of features you would like.
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Having read both books, I followed what you were writing. BUT if I hadn't I think the way it is put together is confusing & most people would not try to finish reading your review.

Maybe limiting the amount of info on a page would help. To be honest one column of info would have been enough.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Is this what it's really about?

TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I have no idea what this site is... And the links are showing as localhost. Confusing, unprofessional, pointless and, well, confusing. Or I'm completely missing the point.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
venkatesh

@PomTroll
Will fix the usability and make it more navigation friendly.

@TGS
Thats a study about user attention on webpages. Not related to this

@stodge
The links point to localhost because I didnt want to expose the entire book. Will put chapter titles instead. The idea is to let people read contents(snippets) of a book around their area of interest before deciding to buy the book. Amazon shows just the first few pages.
Your point is well taken. Will work on how to make it clear to people on what this is about.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #10
AshleyWilis
Textbook Reader
AshleyWilis began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi,
Well I prefer Amazon over everything not only because its popular but also because it provide with huge numbers of ebooks with best quality..
AshleyWilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #11
venkatesh

@AshleyWilis

Agreed. If this feature is useful then I can talk to book sellers/publishers.

So if you like to explore a book around the concepts in the book before you decide on buying, then you are likely to see such a feature on Amazon in near future
Old 11-18-2010, 10:34 AM   #12
venkatesh

Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback.
I have quickly fixed a few things in the UI based on the feedback.
Please let me know if this makes it easy to explore around the book.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I like what you have done. Much easier to follow & if I want more info I can click to continue.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote