Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #31
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
If they released a new Oasis that felt the same as the Voyage (smooth, velvety), I would love that. If it could come in 6” and 7” that would also be great. Warm light would also be nice. I’m hoping they do something like this later in the year.

Now, let’s see if this gets picked up by a certain website as a 'rumor'.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #32
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I suppose they want there to be a noticeable difference between the basic model and the others, and that is why they’re keeping the crappy resolution.

I was looking at buying a refurbished Kindle 4 yesterday, can get both this and cover for half the price of this one, and in some ways this was my favorite reader. It was sooo light, with wonderfully placed buttons, and battery actually did last a month of actual reading! (And it had the progress bar which I loved).

I was still tempted by this one though as a cheap take everywhere reader, especially as it comes in white. I haven't had a white ereader since my very first kindle, the kindle 2.

At one point I had both this and the kindle 4 in my basket, and took them out.

The contrast of the kindle 4 was also excellent, no light layer, no touch layer. I’m still tempted by the new one though...
That's true , I really hope they add buttons to the entry level Kindles again. The Paperwhite 4 also has more storage options and more leds. So another reason for a upgrade or difference from the new Basic. I'm pretty sure they will have the new Basic Kindle in the stores soon. I would like to see one in hand. Although I'm holding out for buttons of some kind.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #33
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
If they released a new Oasis that felt the same as the Voyage (smooth, velvety), I would love that. If it could come in 6” and 7” that would also be great. Warm light would also be nice. I’m hoping they do something like this later in the year.

Now, let’s see if this gets picked up by a certain website as a 'rumor'.
Maybe , one can hope. The Oasis 2 will be 2 yrs. old in November.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #34
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
£10 more in the UK for the basic Kindle with a frontlight makes perfect sense to me and it will more than likely sell better than it's predecessor.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:19 PM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
...The new Kindle boasts a new e-ink touchscreen with better contrast and a resolution of 167 pixels-per-inch. ...
https://www.businessinsider.com/new-...e-availability

Is it a new screen (Carta?), or is only the light new?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #36
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I’m in the ‘Are you kidding?” camp. I just bought the PW4 on sale for $99 Cdn;( regularly $140.) The basic will cost $120. It doesn’t seem like a good deal.

I’m puzzled about why the PW4 is on sale so frequently though. I assumed something new must be coming, so they are clearing out stock. But surely the new basic, with a white option, can’t be it. I wonder what’s up.

Last edited by Victoria; 03-21-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:00 PM   #37
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I’m puzzled about why the PW4 is on sale so frequently though. I assumed something new must be coming, so they are clearing out stock. But surely the new basic, with a white option, can’t be it. I wonder what’s up.
They're more interested in keeping you in their ecosystem so you buy your books there (and probably other things while you're at it) than they are about making money on the hardware.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #38
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They're more interested in keeping you in their ecosystem so you buy your books there (and probably other things while you're at it) than they are about making money on the hardware.
Makes sense. I kinda wonder if, similar to what Microsoft has done for years with Xbox, they may even be willing to sell the hardware in volume at a slight loss if necessary, in order to drive adoption and pump up software (or ebook in this case) sales.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Makes sense. I kinda wonder if, similar to what Microsoft has done for years with Xbox, they may even be willing to sell the hardware in volume at a slight loss if necessary, in order to drive adoption and pump up software (or ebook in this case) sales.
And Kindle Unlimited subscriptions.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #40
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
$90 look surprisingly cheap, even with junk features like BT, WiFi, and light. But it seems it is US-only?
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #41
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
All Kindles have Wifi. Now they all have a front light. Bluetooth is handy if you listen to audiobooks. I do but I wouldn't use a Kindle for that. There are much better choices for audiobooks.

I don't think it's an unreasonable price and if you don't mind the lower resolution it's probably a decent device. I certainly don't think it's a cheap price.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #42
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
I was looking at buying a refurbished Kindle 4 yesterday, can get both this and cover for half the price of this one, and in some ways this was my favorite reader. It was sooo light, with wonderfully placed buttons, and battery actually did last a month of actual reading! (And it had the progress bar which I loved).

The contrast of the kindle 4 was also excellent, no light layer, no touch layer. I’m still tempted by the new one though...
And, I did it, I bought a refurbished Kindle 4! I miss it so much, and they are currently $23 on woot. I’ll read it outside in the glaring sunlight. And keep the Oasis for indoors and the pool. Can’t wait to get my tracking bar back.

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...tarting-at-23/

ETA: Added a used cover from amazon for $9.30 inc tax, so will have a great retro reader set up to take everywhere with zero battery worries for under $35 all in. I’m excited about this.

Last edited by Pjama; 03-21-2019 at 10:40 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #43
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
In that case, they’re pretty clever, ‘cause it’s working! I used to deliberately split my purchases between kobo and amazon, because I figured competition was good for everyone. But somehow I’ve slipped over to the line towards amazon.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:07 PM   #44
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Does anyone know if it has an E-Carta or Pearl screen?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If you trade in an old Kindle, you can get a 25% discount on the new one:

Quote:
The all-new Kindle is $89.99 and available for pre-order today at www.amazon.com/kindle. It will start shipping on April 10. If you’re a previous Kindle owner, you can trade in your device to receive an Amazon.com gift card for the appraised value as well as a 25% discount on a new device, including the all-new Kindle.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote