Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #106
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Released 3.99.3 with fixes for all bugs reported so far (I think). There were a lot of posts since the last beta, so if I missed something, let me know.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #107
jhack-jos
jhack-jos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / Calibre
Huge blocks of Japanese text are skipped

Dear Kovid,

excellent bug fixes!
All the problems previously mentioned are now solved.

Thanks to that, I was able to find another important breaking bug for the Japanese users. It seems that it is still not possible to properly turn page, both with the arrow keys or the page up / page down keys.
When trying to turn page, the viewer instead skips huge blocks of texts and goes to the "next section" of the book. I found no way to view the missing blocks of text.

Please, try it yourself with the attached epub.
You can verify that the ebook is a properly working file using the BiB/i free epub viewer, which is available at the following address: https://bibi.epub.link/#download
In this book for example, the viewer goes straight from the first chapter (一 ichi in Japanese) to the sixth chapter (六 roku in Japanese). The same happens for all other Japanese books in my library.

Thank you again for your precious support!
Warmest Regards,
Jacopo
[mod]removed attachment , possible copyright issues[mod]

Last edited by theducks; 09-11-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #108
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jhack-jos You probably have the viewer in flow mode, put it in paged mode and you should be fine.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #109
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Released 3.99.3 with fixes for all bugs reported so far (I think). There were a lot of posts since the last beta, so if I missed something, let me know.
Thank you. All looks to be in order at the moment.

Any chance of the viewer's scrollbar making a comeback in the future? It was very handy for quickly checking the general formatting.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #110
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That's interesting, so you're reporting that 64bit beta system style is 'smooth' and 32 bit system style is 'blocky'.

I'm using the 32 bit beta - I like to keep the current 64 bit release available for comparisons - with same configuration.

Are you still using Win 7, IIRC you have to install 3rd party enhancers get Aero on 10.
Not sure if it was that the system default style vs. the Calibre style was different because of 32 vs 64 version, but I reinstalled it and now it looks fine.

As far as using Windows 7, and I could write for hours on this subject and my dealings with it and Windows 10 - trust me I know all the reasons for and against using Windows 10 vs. 7, and I am very familiar with the workings of my computer (just not coding lol). It really all came down to the fact that (at the last time I checked) Windows 10 requires an external drive for their system protection services; Shadow copies and restore points.

I do know all the reasons why this isn't a bad thing - using up hard drive space (especially with the "sticky" SSD), Windows 7 backup sucks (I like it), you can use another service (bad internet and I am always using file versions) maybe get another backup service to keep on the computer (too lazy right now to source and try it- I have a hard time choosing things when presented with too many options. I also don't like Windows 10's control panel. I'll probably install it on my backup computer to get used to it, but I am used to and like Windows 7, and Linux isn't as user friendly with a lot of my programs. I might install it on a virtual machine and see how I like it.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #111
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Not sure if this is a bug, but I noticed that the book viewer details list of columns wouldn't stay set to my selections. I had it set up for specific columns but it would keep resetting it to whatever it was when I first installed the program.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #112
Blas
Ulica Guy
Blas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and graceBlas herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo H2O and Motorola XOOM 2(for comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
try right click(or Esc)->Preferences->Colours

BR
Thanks for the advice but I meant a dark theme for the whole Calibre interface.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 PM   #113
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About comments. There is added spacing between paragraphs now (two lines instead of one). In the html view, it's displayed as <p style="yada yada"><br></p>. The problem is, I cannot find a way to bulk edit those breaks. Bulk deleting <br> removes all the spacing between paragraphs. Bulk replacing <p style="yada yada"><br></p> with <br> doesn't work at all. Is there a way to remove excessive spacing (leaving one empty line instead of two) without doing it manually for every book separately? I have thousands of books with this problem. Could never manage to do it one by one.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #114
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Any chance of the viewer's scrollbar making a comeback in the future? It was very handy for quickly checking the general formatting.
No reason it cannot in the future, though it will default to off. But ping me about it after 4.0 as adding it is a fairly big job not suited to the beta.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:21 PM   #115
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No reason it cannot in the future, though it will default to off. But ping me about it after 4.0 as adding it is a fairly big job not suited to the beta.
Thank you!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 PM   #116
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@sirtel: You can use bulk S&R to get rid of the markup causing the issue, but backup your library first.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #117
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Not sure if this is a bug, but I noticed that the book viewer details list of columns wouldn't stay set to my selections. I had it set up for specific columns but it would keep resetting it to whatever it was when I first installed the program.
Book viewer details will always show all metadata available. The setting affects only the book details panel in the main calibre program.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #118
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blas View Post
Thanks for the advice but I meant a dark theme for the whole Calibre interface.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
In macOS it will happen automatically if you start calibre after switching to dark theme. On windows make sure you have set the interface style to system default and it should follow whatever the system colors are. On linux what you get will vary depending on various things.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:36 PM   #119
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@sirtel: You can use bulk S&R to get rid of the markup causing the issue, but backup your library first.
Hasn't worked so far, unfortunately. Either it deletes all the empty lines between paragraphs, leaving none, or does nothing at all. I haven't managed to figure out how to remove only the excessive empty lines, not every one of them. Isn't there a template somewhere for the comments field, that could be edited?
Old 09-12-2019, 12:03 AM   #120
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No comments are free form, what HTML gets put into them, depends entirely on where they came from.
Closed Thread