Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 AM   #31
stagnite
stagnite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
On 12th September I received:

Dear Customer,

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We are writing to confirm that we are processing your refund in the amount of £18.00 for your Order xxxxx-xxxxx.

This amount has been credited to your payment method and will appear when your bank has processed it.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Kindle Paperwhite E-reader, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi (Black) - Includes Special Offers
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B00QJDO0QC
Reason for refund: Item billing error

The following is the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Item Refund: £15.00
Item Tax Refund: £3.00

Your refund is being credited as follows:

Visa Credit Card [expiring on *****]: £18.00

These amounts will be returned to your payment methods within 5-7 business days.

Have an issue with your refund, or a question about our refund policy?
Visit our Help section for more information:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/cust...y.html?nodeId=

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.co.uk.

Sincerely,

Amazon.co.uk Customer Service
http://www.amazon.co.uk

Note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

£18 finally arrived in my bank a few days later. What a shower!

Anyone know what to do with a dead Kindle?

Thanks for all your comments folks.
stagnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #32
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Give it a funeral?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #33
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Sell it on ebay for spare parts (battery and screen).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #34
Mikey40
Mikey40 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Unfortunate News

Made a profile just to leave this comment. This is not an isolated issue! My kindle was working just yesterday. Woke up this morning to put my textbooks onto the device and it has been stuck in an update. I tried all the fixes and it seems I’m bricked as well.
Mikey40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:28 PM   #35
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey40 View Post
Made a profile just to leave this comment. This is not an isolated issue! My kindle was working just yesterday. Woke up this morning to put my textbooks onto the device and it has been stuck in an update. I tried all the fixes and it seems I’m bricked as well.
Isolated enough that the last post in this thread was almost 4 years ago.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2022, 06:29 PM   #36
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
This thread, even though it's old, is the perfect example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why upgrade firmware if it doesn't contain a fix that you require, or a new feature that you absolutely cannot live with? I'm not sure what the most recent firmware is for my PW3 - it's currently on 5.9.4 - but I have zero reason to "upgrade" it. It currently works as I expect it to, and meets my needs just fine.

I don't have to worry about an update going bad and bricking my Kindle. I don't have to worry about an update creating excessive battery drain that wasn't there before. I don't have to worry about an update changing a feature that I did like into one that I don't like.

My Kindle stays in Airplane Mode permanently. That means no unexpected updates. That means no Amazon snooping on me. That means better battery life. That means it's ad free even though I never paid extra for that (it just eventually ran out of ads to display with no internet connectivity). It doesn't need any "security updates" since it is never allowed to connect to the internet in the first place.

My Kindle is in some kind of half registered/half unregistered state I think. Initially, I registered it upon purchase. But it would lock up on occasion. I was able to unlock it with the long-press of the power button. But it was annoying. I did a factory reset. I upgraded the firmware. That didn't help with the lockups. Eventually I sent it back to Amazon and they did a factory reset and upgraded the firmware to the same version of firmware that was already installed. That didn't help either. It still locked up. But after their meddling, the device itself shows as unregistered, but on the Amazon website it is there, so it is still registered apparently. I haven't tried to re-register it, based on the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle. It works just fine as-is. I can buy books for it from Amazon, no problem. I always "download books for USB transfer" and then strip DRM from those purchases and side load them via Calibre. Maybe if I tried a direct download to the device from Amazon that would fail due to its registration status, but I've never tried that and see no need to. Side loading is fine with me. Preferred, actually.

A few months after Amazon returned the Kindle, still locking up immediately after return, it just quit locking up out of the blue. No firmware updates. No resets. Just normal usage. That was a few years ago and it hasn't locked up since. So it will stay just the way it is, no updates unless they fix a problem that I am specifically having myself or they add that killer feature that I just have to have. Updating for the reason "Amazon came out with new firmware" is not a reason in my book. Who cares if Amazon came out with new firmware it that doesn't benefit me personally?

I am more for avoiding potential problems than fixing them after they have occurred. It is a fallacy to think "the newest firmware" is the best firmware, the most stable firmware, the most feature rich firmware, the best designed firmware, the most bug free firmware, etc. But lots of people seem to think this is the case. Sometimes "the newest firmware" might leave you with a brick rather than a Kindle. It may not happen often, but if you're the one it happens too, the rarity of the event is of little consolation. Apparently, Amazon does not care, probably because it is rare. If it affects you, no big deal to them, they just tell you to go buy a new Kindle. End of story.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:12 AM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
So many updates seem to be about marketing. Or stupid GUI changes.
So unless there is a pressing security issue not patched, I don't upgrade anything.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote