Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #1
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Asked vs Said

I seem to keep running into this big debate with my editors about when to use "said" and "asked" in a piece of dialogue. The way I seem to remember the rules (or were they just guidelines?) rules being:

1. If it's not a question, use "said."
2. If it's purely a question, use "asked".
3. If it's a hybrid of the two, use "said".
4. If it's mostly, but not entirely a question, use "asked".
5. When in doubt, and if it ends in a question, use "asked". Otherwise use "said".

So what do you guys think? Do you agree with the above rules, or is there a bit of wiggle room in there for which to use? Also, below are some examples where each rule would apply.

1. The tree down there is green.
2. Is the tree down there green?
3. This tree is green, but that one is not. Why is it here?
4. The dog is barking. Why is he barking? What is he barking at?
5. What time is it? We have to be downtown by 4pm!

So anyhow, that's my question. What do you guys think is the right answer here? Or forget thinking, what do the rules say? Is there a fixed set of grammatical rules, or just general guidelines for these scenarios?

EDIT: I fudged #2. Fixed.

Last edited by Steven Lake; 12-01-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
He asked her out. She said no.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I'm OK with #1-#3

#4 is pure "wiggle room".

#5 depends...
If several sentences are in a quote that ends with a question then use "said" if it appears before the quote and maybe use "asked" if it appears at the end of the quote. If the first sentence is a question then use "asked" if it appears before or after the quote.

I'd add #6 - use "said" when a statement is made, but is worded as a question (e.g. a rhetorical question when you "answer" is actually expected).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't think you can list sentences in isolation and look for hard and fast rules. What's the context? Do you need any attribution at all?

Generally I suppose you'd use "asked" if the punctuation immediately preceding in a question mark; otherwise, "said."
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #5
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
There are no rules. It just how you communicate. Personally, I almost always use "said." It's, as they say, invisible to the reader. If I want to emphasize that it's a question I'll use "asked." Or for moderation's sake every once in a while I'll also use "asked."

For sure, don't stress about it.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Generally I suppose you'd use "asked" if the punctuation immediately preceding in a question mark; otherwise, "said."
That's the way I'd do it as well.

So for 2, 3 and 4 I'd use "asked"; for 1 and 5 I'd use "said" (although 5 ends in an exclamation mark so maybe you'd consider a more emphatic word than "said").

Anything else just looks weird to me.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
There are no rules. It just how you communicate. Personally, I almost always use "said." It's, as they say, invisible to the reader. If I want to emphasize that it's a question I'll use "asked." Or for moderation's sake every once in a while I'll also use "asked."

For sure, don't stress about it.
I agree. If it's got a question mark, then it's a question and the reader knows they asked, even if you say "said." I think we should be able to use "said" in all cases, but I'll use "asked" once in a while for variety. Since I record my stories, and "asked" is just a little more difficult, especially if you want to pronounce the "k," I probably use it a little less than I otherwise might.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Hmm, interesting answers. My question mostly comes from a bit of contention that comes from dealing with my editor who seems to have some pretty firm rules about what's allowed in this situation and what's not, of which I generally agree with, with a few obvious exceptions. But I just wanted to be sure that it was just their convictions and not actual hard and fast rules that I need to follow.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
As a reader, it bugs me if a straightforward question is followed by "said". Obviously there will be some instances where it's a judgement call. I would like to see "asked" after examples #3 and #4 and "said" after #5.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I don't think you can list sentences in isolation and look for hard and fast rules. What's the context? Do you need any attribution at all?

Very much this. Often the problem doesn't arise because you don't need the attribution. When it's clearly a question, ask it. The few instances where I have noticed that a clear question was "said" rather than "asked" it stood out as wrong. (But I have no idea how often it may have happened that I did not notice ... obviously.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think that it's not so much a rule as a bit of common sense. If it's a statement then said would be the word. if it's a question then the person asks about it and if they are uncertain about something they may ask about it. Using the wrong one can be really jarring. Like using its when a person is supposed to use it's i.e 'Its getting late,' instead of 'it's (it is) getting late.'
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:39 AM   #12
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Agree that the most straightforward approach is to use "asked" when the preceding sentence ends in a question mark, and "said" if the sentence is not a question. Additionally, when "asked" is used I would use "answered" or "replied" by the character to whom the question was directed. If it is clear who is talking from the context, omit both to improve the flow.

Alyssa
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I love variety.

Exclaimed! Shouted. Murmured
Queried Questioned

But I would use 'said' for the rhetorical question.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #14
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I agree with 'the Ducks'. The English language gives us a wealth of words for speech: why do we have to restrict ourselves to 'said' and 'asked'?

There might be an interesting debate to have about rhetorical questions:

'Steve's just won the lottery. He's got a million pounds!'
'A million pounds!' he said.

'Steve's just won the lottery. He's got a million pounds!'
'A million pounds?' he asked.

Could 'said' and 'asked' be used the other way round in these examples?
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #15
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
I agree with 'the Ducks'. The English language gives us a wealth of words for speech: why do we have to restrict ourselves to 'said' and 'asked'?
Because generally the words should not call attention to themselves. Most of the time, the only reason for them is to indicate who is speaking.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote