Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
astrolab
astrolab began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Aura one "greenish" spot with natural backlight?

Hello everyone!

I just registered myself on this forum and I'm a brand new owner of a Kobo Aura One.

I really love the device, but something seems weird with the "natural light" backlight. It looks like my device is missing an orange led at the bottom left, and it seems to create a greenish spot. I was only wondering if this was a normal phenomenon or if i should return it to get a replacement device. Have some of you seen something like this?

I tried to take some pictures, but I'm not sure it reflects what I actually see:

http://i68.tinypic.com/2iiz5tf.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/2hro9xv.jpg
http://i67.tinypic.com/2yzl7k8.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by astrolab; 11-02-2016 at 01:17 PM.
astrolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #2
amorales
amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo aura one
I just got mine couple hours ago and it has same issue on the right side. A whole greenish blotch.
amorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #3
MRC01
MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!MRC01 My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Kobo, Android Mantano, Linux PC, Kindle
I got mine yesterday, same thing, lower left side. It's less visible at high brightness. As you reduce brightness it becomes more green and grows toward the center of the screen.
MRC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
nunocrzt
nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.nunocrzt is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle voyage
Mine was way worse than that and had it replaced. The one received in exchange it's not perfect, but it's a lot better than the first one.
nunocrzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
alizarin
Enthusiast
alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.alizarin beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

OP, yours actually looks better than my first KA1, which had a *very* visible greenish blotch.

The replacement was better, but now over the past few days I have noticed a greenish blotch in the lower right corner that seems to be getting bigger over time - my guess is that as the LED burns in, it is going slightly out of tolerance for color output. Which is a shame, because exchanging the original KA1 took over a month (I bought mine from Kobo).

Its not bad enough to justify replacement #2 but I'm watching it...
alizarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 12:06 AM   #6
amorales
amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.amorales is less competitive than you.

http://imgur.com/inq00Mj

This is my green blotch
Old 11-02-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
astrolab

So it looks like a common issue...

Maybe I'm just gonna return it then and wait for them to fix the issue in newer batches?

Are there some people who don't have this problem at all?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:48 AM   #8
amorales

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolab View Post
So it looks like a common issue...

Maybe I'm just gonna return it then and wait for them to fix the issue in newer batches?

Are there some people who don't have this problem at all?

Yes there are people that don't have this issue or any issue at all. One of the staff members at place I got mine from has zero issues with theirs and i checked their screen.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:49 AM   #9
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
BTW your images are bigger than 600x600 pixels; you may want to resize them or upload them elsewhere before a moderator notices.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
astrolab

@chrisridd thanks, it as been corrected.

For those who are interested, I finally decided to return my device. I couldn't accept that kind of problem with a device with such a premium price...

The store didn't have other KA1 in stock, so I guess I'll wait a bit for newer batch before getting another one.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #11
heli3d
heli3d began at the beginning.

I just got my replacement and there is another green blob/light.
Do all of them have this?

Should I throw in the towel on this device or try to get another one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
heli3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
If it would help, I would love it if they could abandon the whole variable colour temperature idea, and just install fixed colour temperature, warm white lights. This green blob issue seems really common and it totally ruins the backlight - my H2O, Voyage, and Nook Simple Touch all have backlights that are less distracting and more consistent in their colour than the Aura One.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
heli3d
heli3d began at the beginning.

Did you keep it or return? I really like the big screen. Currently also have the Kobo HD

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
heli3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:54 PM   #14
Braid
Groupie
Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Braid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2nd), Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O (1st)
I just kept it. I can't be bothered with the process of returning it and waiting for another to arrive, unless I'm certain the replacement won't have the same issue.
Braid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli3d View Post
I just got my replacement and there is another green blob/light.
Do all of them have this?
I would say they all have it to some degree if you're using the natural light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braid View Post
...my H2O, Voyage, and Nook Simple Touch all have backlights that are less distracting and more consistent in their colour than the Aura One.
If you're not using the natural light (or just using it at a really low level) I've found the backlight on my KA1 to be just as good as any other device I've seen. To me it's just the natural light that introduces any uneveness that I've seen.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backlight, green, kobo aura one, light, spotlight