Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook One, PocketBook 360, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Battery Depletion

I had a fully charged battery a few days ago. I put the cover on and didn't use it and when I took the cover off the battery depletion sign was on. Based on my experiences with my BeBook ereader, I had assumed that very little or no power is used when an eInk reader is left on but idle rather than turning it off. Is it different with the PocketBook?
ascherjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pocketbook 360
Well... no. The battery should last quite a while.
However there could have been a false "full charge", exposure to cold, a faulty SD card...

A few more tests are needed for a reasonably certain answer.
norciom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
ascherjim
Addict
ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ascherjim has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norciom View Post
Well... no. The battery should last quite a while.
However there could have been a false "full charge", exposure to cold, a faulty SD card...

A few more tests are needed for a reasonably certain answer.
I'll recharge it fully, turn it on, and let it sit again for a few days and see if the same thing happens.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega
norciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-booksnorciom has learned how to read e-books

You can still use it. No need to leave it alone.

Mine, without a card, used daily for about 4 h, no sleep or auto lock keeps going for about 3 weeks.

The occasional file transfers charge the battery a bit.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
You can still use it. No need to leave it alone.

Mine, without a card, used daily for about 4 h, no sleep or auto lock keeps going for about 3 weeks.

The occasional file transfers charge the battery a bit.
Even though I have a Micro SD card inserted in its slot, I don't use it. Will I find the power usage to be less if I remove the card? Also, I have the G-sensor turned off.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #6
norciom
ego Alpha et Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascherjim View Post
Even though I have a Micro SD card inserted in its slot, I don't use it. Will I find the power usage to be less if I remove the card? Also, I have the G-sensor turned off.
A card will drain the battery faster. just by being there.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
ascherjim
Addict

Quote:
A card will drain the battery faster. just by being there.
Thanks. That's very interesting to know.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
My (limited--two month) experience is that relying solely on the keyboard-lock time-out results in lower battery life than enabling auto shutdown and rebooting as needed. Given that the PB360 has a real-time clock that draws some current and it repaginates on the fly, I'm assuming there are some background processes running at all time. Even in the most power-hungry configuration: active accelerometer, long time-out settings, etc, I still got over a week of use, versus over two weeks with conservative settings. That's with an 8GB SDHC card in place full-time.
Given that boot time runs around 10 seconds I'm happy with auto shutdown enabled.
Your mileage may vary, of course.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote