Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Dear Dr Drib, knowing you to be a delicate soul that usually writes such tasteful and elegant prose, and seeing that JSWolf, the father-figure of this forum that everyone looks to as the voice of restraint, has failed to correct you, I feel it is incumbent on me to point out, in the simplest, clearest and most unambiguous manner that I can, that the post you made earlier this day was, actually, in full frankness, an example of a less than ideal choice of verb for speech attribution.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Dear Dr Drib, knowing you to be a delicate soul that usually writes such tasteful and elegant prose, and seeing that JSWolf, the father-figure of this forum that everyone looks to as the voice of restraint, has failed to correct you, I feel it is incumbent on me to point out, in the simplest, clearest and most unambiguous manner that I can, that the post you made earlier this day was, actually, in full frankness, an example of a less than ideal choice of verb for speech attribution.
And yet it was used all the time a little over 100 years ago.

And, as recently, in one of Thomas Pynchon's novels ("Against The Day"):

“Swell!” Darby ejaculated. “We’re chasing ourselves now.”

I think I first noticed it (in fiction), when I acquired some of the original Tom Swift books, the ones published at the turn of the last century, as written by Victor Appleton. I thought it was funny, at fist, until I did some research and found out that it's one of those words not much in common use today, unless one is purposefully parodying a style of writing, as Pynchon does in part of that rich, funny, HUMONGOUS novel quoted above.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-07-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ejacualted can mean...

1. to utter suddenly and briefly; exclaim.

So yes it is valid the usage that Dr. Drib gave. But, for modern usage, it looks all wrong even if it's not. To change the usage, all I needed to do was add in a single two letter word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #34
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Well, if we want to get all literal about it, you will notice that I merely said "less than ideal".

ETA: And you didn't need to add any words, Jon. Just capitalise "He" to start a new sentence.

Last edited by gmw; 12-07-2017 at 10:31 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #35
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Holmes and Watson ejaculated all over the place.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #36
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
This was even funnier seeing as how I just read the end of billboards and how to promote.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #37
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
... and in a family friendly way no less.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
"I am not cleaning that up", Mrs. Hudson ejaculated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
"I am not cleaning that up", Mrs. Hudson ejaculated.
Can I just say...oh never mind. Can't type without giggling.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #40
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
More on Alternatives to "Said"

The Rowling quotes cited in support of using more descriptive alternatives to “said” remind me of Stephen King's use of similar colorful alternatives - “bawled,” “brayed,” “mewled” come to mind. I think the writing of both authors highlights the difference between literary writing, which is more or less introspective and emphasizes craftsmanship over plot, as compared to writing for a broader audience, which is more lively and fast paced, and in which plot (story telling) is all important.

Alyssa
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:12 AM   #41
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa Miranda View Post
The Rowling quotes cited in support of using more descriptive alternatives to “said” remind me of Stephen King's use of similar colorful alternatives - “bawled,” “brayed,” “mewled” come to mind. I think the writing of both authors highlights the difference between literary writing, which is more or less introspective and emphasizes craftsmanship over plot, as compared to writing for a broader audience, which is more lively and fast paced, and in which plot (story telling) is all important.

Alyssa

If you want some all-out 'said' variant howlers, then you MUST read some Dan Turner PI short stories, written by Robert Leslie Bellem.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #42
Alyssa Miranda
Connoisseur
Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alyssa Miranda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle and Nook
Thanks for the suggestion - will check them out!

Alyssa
Alyssa Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:55 AM   #43
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Well if Rowling is just a hack writer I'd love her bank account!

"Ejaculated" used to have a more general meaning: something, anything which spurted out. Over time the use has narrowed to the one we all know (and fifty percent of us love!) Which is why it's use in previous centuries makes us howl!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #44
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Well if Rowling is just a hack writer I'd love her bank account!

"Ejaculated" used to have a more general meaning: something, anything which spurted out. Over time the use has narrowed to the one we all know (and fifty percent of us love!) Which is why it's use in previous centuries makes us howl!
Where are you coming up with 50%? Oh never mind me. I thought the figure would be higher.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #45
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Cinisajoy: MEN!

As a woman I've always found it rather a messy affair.

But this is leading into a smutty line of discourse.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote