Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 03-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
derekkohlhagen
derekkohlhagen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
The Footsteps of Cain by Derek Kohlhagen -- FREE through Monday, March 6th!

The Footsteps of Cain by Derek Kohlhagen will be FREE starting today, March 2nd, through Monday, March 6th in the Kindle store! If you haven't read the book, this is a perfect time to grab it!

Synopsis

He made a mistake. His punishment? Kill the world.

A nameless immortal wanders a desert of his own making, on a planet mostly devoid of life. He is imprisoned to the will of a malevolent spirit...limping toward atonement through a chain of uncountable bloody deeds, and across many millennia. The only thing that keeps him going is the promise of freedom...not for himself, but for a love that he has destroyed.

His ages-long road has led him to the distant future, to the planet's very last settlement of humanity. There, with one final, tired massacre, he aims to end the world.

He will find the last remnant of civilization unwilling to enter the void so easily. He will also find that the world has one final, soul-stirring revelation yet left for him.

What The Reviews Are Saying

"It’s the best indie novel that I’ve ever read in my seven years of reviewing books on my site." -- Rick O from ricksreviews.blogspot.com

"The author's VIVID power for description is SO intense, it's difficult to believe this is his first novel. Absolutely outstanding, and I don't tarry those words lightly." -- L. A. Veronie II from Amazon

"It first appeared to be merely apocalyptic science fiction, but turned out to be much more -- the kind of story that you can't get out of your thoughts." -- Amazon Customer

To any and all who give this tale your valuable time, I sincerely hope you enjoy it. Use the link below to get your copy on Kindle!

https://www.amazon.com/Footsteps-Cai.../dp/B01HHRF15M
derekkohlhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Hi. I will take a chance on your book.
Though one little suggestion. Lose the last line in about the author. Self-published turns off many readers. Do not advertise that. Just say it is your first novel.
Don't box yourself in.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
derekkohlhagen

Thanks so much for checking out the book, Cinisajoy! I sincerely hope you enjoy it!

Also, many thanks on the advice. Thinking it over, I tend to agree. It's a sad reality that there's such a thick atmosphere of assumption and bias that can prevent someone from getting to the actual meat of a piece of creative content, based on comparatively superficial things like book covers and author bios. But, it is the world we live in. I think it's an insightful thing to say that most regular readers are savvy enough these days to know that "self-publishing" means that anybody can publish anything and call it just that, regardless of quality. Probably better to remove the chance of an assumption altogether.

I suppose labeling a book as "self-published" only really works FOR the book AFTER it has achieved a certain level of success. At that point, I think the perception turns into "oh wow, AND he/she published it THEMSELVES?". It's far more impressive after the fact.

So yes, I'll seriously consider changing the wording on the bio. Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekkohlhagen View Post
Thanks so much for checking out the book, Cinisajoy! I sincerely hope you enjoy it!

Also, many thanks on the advice. Thinking it over, I tend to agree. It's a sad reality that there's such a thick atmosphere of assumption and bias that can prevent someone from getting to the actual meat of a piece of creative content, based on comparatively superficial things like book covers and author bios. But, it is the world we live in. I think it's an insightful thing to say that most regular readers are savvy enough these days to know that "self-publishing" means that anybody can publish anything and call it just that, regardless of quality. Probably better to remove the chance of an assumption altogether.

I suppose labeling a book as "self-published" only really works FOR the book AFTER it has achieved a certain level of success. At that point, I think the perception turns into "oh wow, AND he/she published it THEMSELVES?". It's far more impressive after the fact.

So yes, I'll seriously consider changing the wording on the bio. Thanks again!
Little secret: I have been around self-published authors for a few years. The bad part is that it is not an assumption that self-published is mostly unreadable. The fact is in my own research between 75-90% is either unreadable (bad grammar, translation errors,) bad formatting, or just copy and paste from others.

I think the only people that should say that are those that went from a big publishing company to self published. But they don't put that in their author bio, they just start a blog.
Anyway good luck. I will post again when I have read your novel.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 03-03-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:30 AM   #5
derekkohlhagen

Thanks so much for the input...and I sincerely hope you enjoy the book. I am proud of it, and have gotten a ton of positive feedback on it! I don't know what your usual reading genre is, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thanks for giving it a chance!
Old 03-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

My usual genre is whatever catches my eye at that moment.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
derekkohlhagen

Sounds like a good policy!

Tags
apocalyptic fiction, free amazon ebook, science fiction