Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
niggle
niggle began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Onyx Boox in Australia

Hi

Sorry if this question has already been answered! I did try searching, but didn't come up with anything.

I'd like to get an Onyx Boox 60. I'm based in Sydney. I know that I can get the Bebook Neo from Dymocks or the Uni Co-op Bookstores but they are both asking well over Aus $550 which seems like a lot of cash. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help

niggle
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:09 AM   #2
cjhfield
cjhfield began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Hi, I bought one from:

http://www.onyxboox.com/

I paid US$374 when the dollar was over 90 cents - it included a cover and a 2gig sd card. Since the dollars dive it may not be worth it.

I am quite happy with the device. I have an assortment of pdf and text files but obtaining ebooks is a bit more tricky. Amazon seems to be tied to their Kindle. Barnes and Noble will not sell all their content to non US customers. Local ebook sellers seem to want to charge more than they do for a paperback version and double the US prices. It is possible to circumvent the US only restrictions through devious means though.

A real find is the free program Calibre. It has a great news download feature downloading daily papers from hundreds of sites - includes 5 Aussie sites.

HTH

Chris
cjhfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
niggle

Many thanks Chris

How long did it take to arrive?

Regards

David
Old 05-31-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo: Forma + Libra|Galaxy: TAB A7 + Note 8 tablet|Boox: Note Air 2
WARNING
I've left the post on here for archival purposes only and as an act of contrition!

I now thoroughly DErecommend Alibaba/Aliexpress.

Please see my new post on Alibaba and it's 40,000 thieves: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...68#post994068]

Hey David (and everyone!)

Awesome site - has helped me alot.

And now I will return the favour.

David you can get the Boox cheaply from Ali Express - chinese wholesalers selling retail.

I've bought a quality item from there before and they use escrow protection.

I'm going to buy my Boox from there.

Only thing I noticed:
- the exchange rate was lower than it should have been
- there was an $8 hidden charge

Nevertheless, it was still cheaper than most places and one vendor offered free postage.

Good luck!

Last edited by LivresInOz; 07-05-2010 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I've left the post on here for archival purposes only. I now thoroughly DErecommend Alibaba/Aliexpress
LivresInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #5
LivresInOz
LivresInOz
LivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityLivresInOz has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

oh PS Chris - thanks for the heads up re the news program Calibre - im into news.

Now here's one in return. For ebooks I've found BooksOnBoard to be good. Quite good customer service too - seem to be nice people.

Enjoy!
Advert
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Lexy
Lexy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Hey David (and everyone!)

Awesome site - has helped me alot.

And now I will return the favour.

David you can get the Boox cheaply from Ali Express - chinese wholesalers selling retail.

I've bought a quality item from there before and they use escrow protection.

I'm going to buy my Boox from there.

Only thing I noticed:
- the exchange rate was lower than it should have been
- there was an $8 hidden charge

Nevertheless, it was still cheaper than most places and one vendor offered free postage.

Good luck!
Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when ordering from AliBaba. It's 90% scammers and unfortunately the site management doesn't really do anything about it. I ordered a Boox from what was puported to be a validated seller and he sent me a cheap fake. I'm now bogged down in mediation and trying to get my money back. I'd advise not using this site at all to be honest, even if it does cost you a little more, it's not worth the drama.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
YoYo
YoYo began at the beginning.

Device: Astak ezreader pocket pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
Hi

Sorry if this question has already been answered! I did try searching, but didn't come up with anything.

I'd like to get an Onyx Boox 60. I'm based in Sydney. I know that I can get the Bebook Neo from Dymocks or the Uni Co-op Bookstores but they are both asking well over Aus $550 which seems like a lot of cash. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any help

niggle
I live in Australia and bought the Astak Pocket Pro which I love, it arrived here from the US in 8 days and lots of Australians are buying them, only $199 US plus shipping so much cheaper and its the same as the Bebook Neo
YoYo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #8
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoYo View Post
I live in Australia and bought the Astak Pocket Pro which I love, it arrived here from the US in 8 days and lots of Australians are buying them, only $199 US plus shipping so much cheaper and its the same as the Bebook Neo
No it is not. The PP is the same as the the BeBook Mini. The Neo is a rebadged Boox. Completely different machine.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
cjhfield
cjhfield began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle View Post
Many thanks Chris

How long did it take to arrive?

Regards

David
Delivery was quite slow but there were supply problems. When it eventually shipped it was trackable and delivery was fast.

It is possible to buy ebooks from Barnes and Noble using gift cards purchased through Christina at PriceUSA.com.au

Chris
cjhfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
niggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhfield View Post
Delivery was quite slow but there were supply problems. When it eventually shipped it was trackable and delivery was fast.

It is possible to buy ebooks from Barnes and Noble using gift cards purchased through Christina at PriceUSA.com.au

Chris
Thanks Chris
Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #11
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Alibaba / Aliexpress site a complete rip-off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexy View Post
Be EXTREMELY CAREFUL when ordering from AliBaba. It's 90% scammers and unfortunately the site management doesn't really do anything about it. I ordered a Boox from what was puported to be a validated seller and he sent me a cheap fake. I'm now bogged down in mediation and trying to get my money back. I'd advise not using this site at all to be honest, even if it does cost you a little more, it's not worth the drama.
Yes Lexy it seems I spoke too soon.

I had exactly the same problem - probably even the same vendor!

Beware!

I did have a previous good experience with AliExpress - I bought a well-made 15-minute hourglass that arrived quickly and well-packed, and was affordable.

However this experience has taught me never to use them again.

Lexy, forget about mediation with them. It takes too long. Just get a chargeback through your credit card company (probably via your bank). That's what I successfully did.

Good luck. I will only be buying electronics from now on through carefully-vetted companies.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
We ship to Australia as well. We've shipped around 20 devices to Australia in the last few months. One is winging its way there now.

Boox is now $319 and shipping to Australia is $42
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

http://www.onyxboox.com/
has it for $US 299 + $35 postage to oz, but it does say elsewhere he is slow to ship.
i just ordered one so i may get back to you if it takes a long time.
(site claims 10 days)

also i want to add to beware not just of Alibaba, but AliExpress, which is the actual subsidiary I made the mistake of buying from.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
LivresInOz
LivresInOz

Lexy I've sent a private message to you about this, but I would advise skipping the whole process with Aliexpress/baba and going straight to your bank seeking a credit card chargeback.

Their process is drawn-out, seems biased towards the vendor, and they happily ignore information about ripoffs and fraud. I already informed them that the vendor is still advertising Boox even tho they never had them and they've ignored me.

If you order a boox from MJ or LV (two of the cheapest vendors), you will get this instead:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/7...d-writing.html
Old 07-09-2010, 12:45 AM   #15
Lexy
Lexy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenji View Post
Lexy I've sent a private message to you about this, but I would advise skipping the whole process with Aliexpress/baba and going straight to your bank seeking a credit card chargeback.

Their process is drawn-out, seems biased towards the vendor, and they happily ignore information about ripoffs and fraud. I already informed them that the vendor is still advertising Boox even tho they never had them and they've ignored me.

If you order a boox from MJ or LV (two of the cheapest vendors), you will get this instead:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/7...d-writing.html
Thanks Zenji.
I was lucky in that I had the Escrow protection so I just waited the 10 days till I could open a dispute and got my money back. Trying to deal with the vendor is a nightmare.
But I've learnt my lesson. I got the exact same "e-reader" from them. Which I've now kept and will regift to my brother or something. Seriously, I can't warn people enough about this site. It's absolutely terrible.
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote