Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Rumor: Asus Eee Pad

Yesterday Digitimes reported:
Quote:
Asustek Computer is making preparations to launch a new device named Eee Pad featuring a 4- to 7-inch panel, and which will offer a combination of tablet PC and MID functions, according to industry sources. Current details of the Eee Pad suggest the product has been inspired by the rumors of Apple's planned tablet device, the sources commented.
http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Ne...&query=ASUSTEK

Normally I wouldn't place much faith in this rumor, but I happen to have another piece of information. Asus has scheduled a press conference at CES for the Tuesday before it begins. Why would they do that if they weren't going to announce a new gadget?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:47 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
The Archos and the Smartq, and others are already out there. I just don't see the point unless they do something incredible with the battery life.
I would like a tablet with Windows, not CE or linux or android or whatever else os's there are...

Besides, since when is more choice not better?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
I would like a tablet with Windows, not CE or linux or android or whatever else os's there are...
Archo 9 is with windows 7 starter.

Quote:
Besides, since when is more choice not better?
Quite right

And Eee Tablet sounds like a nice concept to me.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Archo 9 is with windows 7 starter.

Quite right

And Eee Tablet sounds like a nice concept to me.
Yes, the 9"... But the Asus will be 7" and smaller...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If anyone can make an affordable tablet, it'll be Asus. I have one of their early minis and it's a pretty neat little piece of hardware.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I have tagged Asus as the company most likely to jump on the Pixel Qi train and bring out a device exactly like described in the link....I still feel it is a pretty safe bet.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
Ben0
Retired Field Engineer
Ben0 is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro, Ectaco JBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If anyone can make an affordable tablet, it'll be Asus. I have one of their early minis and it's a pretty neat little piece of hardware.
I have a Eee Box (B202) and an Eee 801 (netbook) an I love them both!
A await the Tablet with baited breath!!
Ben0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 AM   #9
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I have tagged Asus as the company most likely to jump on the Pixel Qi train and bring out a device exactly like described in the link....I still feel it is a pretty safe bet.
Something tells me 2010 will be a good year for e-readers. This would be an (almost) ideal reader for me. My only worry is that Pixel Qi tech won't do much for battery life.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
Something tells me 2010 will be a good year for e-readers. This would be an (almost) ideal reader for me. My only worry is that Pixel Qi tech won't do much for battery life.
now that would depend on a variety of factors, not just the screen. Jepsen was clear to point out that a lot depends on how the device maker implements the power saving modes of the panels into the device itself. She pointed out that it was likely the first gen devices might not use the panels as efficiently as possible. Nobody knows for sure exactly what we will see.

Also, the power savings will depend on how each individual actually uses the device and in which screen mode. I would expect if used in transflective mode where there is zero backlight used, then there would be a significant increase in battery life. If used in normal backlit mode then of course it would make a difference in battery runtime. It's not magic only a panel tech which adds a couple low power modes to conserve power. Indoors in a dimly lit room odds are the transflective mode (no backlight), as shown in Charbax's video interview with Jepsen, but in those lighting conditions near typical power is needed for the backlight.

The thing about these panels is they offer nice mode options for the mfg and/or user to select as the situation requires. This, in addition to being full color panels, is something the current Eink brand/type epaper panels do not, and likely will not ever, offer.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-13-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
now that would depend on a variety of factors, not just the screen. Jepsen was clear to point out that a lot depends on how the device maker implements the power saving modes of the panels into the device itself. She pointed out that it was likely the first gen devices might not use the panels as efficiently as possible. Nobody knows for sure exactly what we will see.

Also, the power savings will depend on how each individual actually uses the device and in which screen mode. I would expect if used in transflective mode where there is zero backlight used, then there would be a significant increase in battery life. If used in normal backlit mode then of course it would make a difference in battery runtime. It's not magic only a panel tech which adds a couple low power modes to conserve power. Indoors in a dimly lit room odds are the transflective mode (no backlight), as shown in Charbax's video interview with Jepsen, but in those lighting conditions near typical power is needed for the backlight.

The thing about these panels is they offer nice mode options for the mfg and/or user to select as the situation requires. This, in addition to being full color panels, is something the current Eink brand/type epaper panels do not, and likely will not ever, offer.
Unfortunately this means they will likely put as big a battery as they reasonably can in it which might make it heavier and hotter than I'd like for a reader. I'd still find it compelling as a tablet, though. Just not something I'd want to hold for hours at a time.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Digitimes just has no credibility any longer. So anything they say that's not able to be confirmed elsewhere is to be taken and ignored.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Unfortunately this means they will likely put as big a battery as they reasonably can in it which might make it heavier and hotter than I'd like for a reader. I'd still find it compelling as a tablet, though. Just not something I'd want to hold for hours at a time.
ok...
Old 12-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
I'll reserve my speculation about the application suitability and design constraints of an Asus product until after it's announced.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #15
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
These guys are hardware making pros, they will be very cheap and will function pretty well. Probably won't be great for e-books at that size, but a very cool little device when it comes out.

I've used their netbooks and they are pretty sweet, perfect for browing while on the couch. Also they might make for great media center/household controllers. If it is a linux version it will be open source and all kinds of crazy software will emerge.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote