Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Knocka
Knocka began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Library Disappearing

I am using calibre on a Mac (Leopard). I added about 7 books to the Library using Add Books. They were in html format. Calibre created folders for each one in the Folder I specified in Preferences. The files were created as .zip files. I then changed the Author and Title Fields right in the main window. I also, in Metadata, added a Series and Book #. Finally, I hit Bulk Convert with Mobi as the output format. Calibre then created a new file in each folder with the .mobi file (along with the .zip file, which stayed where it was).

I then tried Quitting Calibre and re-opening it. However, when I re-open Calibre, no books are displayed and it says Library 0 Books in the space to the left of the large Heart icon. But, all of the sub-folders and files that Calibre created when I first added the books to the library (including the .mobi file) are still in place.

How do I get the library to be retained in Calibre? If I use the Add Books option again, Calibre creates duplicates. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks.
Knocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knocka View Post
I am using calibre on a Mac (Leopard). I added about 7 books to the Library using Add Books. They were in html format. Calibre created folders for each one in the Folder I specified in Preferences. The files were created as .zip files. I then changed the Author and Title Fields right in the main window. I also, in Metadata, added a Series and Book #. Finally, I hit Bulk Convert with Mobi as the output format. Calibre then created a new file in each folder with the .mobi file (along with the .zip file, which stayed where it was).

I then tried Quitting Calibre and re-opening it. However, when I re-open Calibre, no books are displayed and it says Library 0 Books in the space to the left of the large Heart icon. But, all of the sub-folders and files that Calibre created when I first added the books to the library (including the .mobi file) are still in place.

How do I get the library to be retained in Calibre? If I use the Add Books option again, Calibre creates duplicates. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks.
Are you sure you actually shut it down and aren't actually opening a second copy. Do you have the calibre icon in your menu bar tray?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Knocka

It is in my menu bar tray and when I quit Calibre, the dot under it disappears. Also, I checked Activity Monitor and ensured that Calibre is not running.

When I re-open it, it does not load my library.
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
start console.app and post any output you see in it when you run calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Knocka

Here are the Console entries when I run Calibre:

3/13/09 7:01:39 AM [0x0-0x1f61f6].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[6719] link hasn't been detected!
3/13/09 7:01:39 AM [0x0-0x1f61f6].net.kovidgoyal.calibre[6719] link hasn't been detected!

Attached is the log with the entries from last night.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Calibre_Log.rtf (30.4 KB, 261 views)
Advert
Old 03-13-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What location did you choose for your library when you first ran calibre?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:03 AM   #7
Knocka

Originally, I put Calibre on my desktop and used a sub-folder of a folder on my desktop called desktop/eBooks/calibre, just to test it out. When I saw I would like it...

I then moved Calibre to the Applications Folder and put it in my dock. I also changed the preferences to make the folder [myusername]/documents/ebooks. I then basically started adding books (not using any from the original library I was testing with.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Knocka

Any thoughts about this?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

In terminal.app run the following two commands

Code:
calibredb add 'path/to/an/ebook/file
calibredb list
Old 03-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #10
Knocka

I am not sure what those commands were supposed to do, but I ran them, then opened Calibre, and I still do not see anything in the Library. What was it supposed to do? I did not try to Add Books again, I just ran Calibre to see if it found the Library I had previsouly created.
Here is the output in Terminal:
[COMP NAME]:~ Chris$ calibredb add 'path/to/an/ebook/file
> calibredb add 'path/to/an/ebook/file
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/loaders/calibredb.py", line 9, in <module>
main()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 542, in main
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 333, in command_add
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 265, in do_add
File "calibre/library/database2.pyo", line 1172, in add_books
StopIteration
[COMP NAME]:~ Chris$ calibredb list
idtitleauthors
Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You need to replace /path/to/ebook/file with the path to an acual ebook file on your system
Old 03-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #12
Knocka

I did not even read the command. I just cut and pasted it. I feel like a total idiot.
Anyway, I did it, but it did not work.
When you say "You need to replace /path/to/ebook/file with the path to an actual ebook file on your system" what do you mean? The actual .mobi file is the following path:
~/documents/ebooks/<author>/<book title>/<filename>.mobi

I tried this for one book, but the name of the <book title> folder as it appears in Finder has a (2) after it. Terminal will not allow the "(" to be used.

Also, assuming there is a way to make this command work, am I going to have to do it for every single book? That would take forever.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #13
Knocka

I also tried removing the (2) from the name of the folder and then running the command, but that did work either. Here is the Terminal info:
iMac:~ Chris$ calibredb add ~/Documents/eBooks/Robert B. Parker/EarlyAutumn/Early Autumn - Robert B. Parker.mobi
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/loaders/calibredb.py", line 9, in <module>
main()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 542, in main
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 333, in command_add
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 255, in do_add
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/Chris/Parker.mobi'
iMac:~ Chris$ calibredb listidtitleauthors
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

enclose the path in quotes if it contains special characters. I'm just lookig for hte output of the commands which might help me debug what's going on
Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Knocka

Here it is:

iMac:~ Chris$ calibredb add "~/Documents/eBooks/Robert B. Parker/Early Autumn (2)/Early Autumn - Robert B. Parker.mobi"
main()
File "/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.6/site-packages.zip/calibre/library/cli.py", line 255, in do_add
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/Chris/~/Documents/eBooks/Robert B. Parker/Early Autumn (2)/Early Autumn - Robert B. Parker.mobi'
CPG-iMac:~ Chris$ calibredb add "~/Documents/eBooks/Robert B. Parker/Early Autumn (2)/Early Autumn - Robert B. Parker.zip"
main()
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'/Users/Chris/~/Documents/eBooks/Robert B. Parker/Early Autumn (2)/Early Autumn - Robert B. Parker.zip'