Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #31
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I'm going to disagree. I think that it may be a good idea. Have you ever watched a teenager or someone who isn't a "die hard" reader try to read any of the classics? It's an instant way to turn that person off, not only to the book in question, but to classics in general, and even to the whole idea of reading. I'm not suggesting that these new modern versions should replace the originals, but if they get people to read the stories, then isn't that a good thing? Perhaps they'll then be inclined to go back and read the originals?

Or think of it this way: We don't expect people to read Tolstoy in Russian if they don't speak Russian; we don't expect people to read Dumas in French if they don't speak French. A modern audience, especially a younger modern audience, doesn't speak Victorian or Georgian English either. I guess we have to ask whether the books are being read, at least in part, for their content and not just for their writing style.

Again, please don't think that I'm suggesting that the originals be dumped or replaced; but I think it would be far better for people to have an entree to books that they might otherwise pass by than for those books to begin to pick up more and more dust on library shelves.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Cane we call the The Austen Powers Project?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #33
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Poohbear_nc summed up my feelings on this on the first page pretty well.

If I had done a rework of the original stories, I'd be accused of plagiarism (and rightfully so). But because they're advertising and marketing the books, it's all A-ok and on the up-and-up.

I don't see the difference.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #34
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Poohbear_nc summed up my feelings on this on the first page pretty well.

If I had done a rework of the original stories, I'd be accused of plagiarism (and rightfully so). But because they're advertising and marketing the books, it's all A-ok and on the up-and-up.

I don't see the difference.
No, you wouldn't be accused of plagiarism, because it wouldn't be plagiarism. Disney didn't plagiarize when they made their adaptation of Pinocchio. It would only be plagiarism if you took the work and pretended that you created it out of whole cloth. I recently purchased children's version of Moby Dick and the Odyssey for my daughter. These adaptation are not plagiarism, and neither is this one. They are in the public domain, anyone can come out with their adaptation.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
Or think of it this way: We don't expect people to read Tolstoy in Russian if they don't speak Russian; we don't expect people to read Dumas in French if they don't speak French. A modern audience, especially a younger modern audience, doesn't speak Victorian or Georgian English either. I guess we have to ask whether the books are being read, at least in part, for their content and not just for their writing style.

Writing style.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Precisely. Does the existence of "West Side Story" damage "Romeo and Juliet" in some way? I seriously doubt that even the most rabid defender of Shakespeare could come up with a reason to suggest that it does.
Didn't I see that Ovid was suing Shakespeare for plagiarizing Pyramus and Thisbe?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #37
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Writing style.
I read Jane Austen when I was young, as I did Dickens, Shakespeare, Lucy Maude Montgomery and Louis L'amour and many others. Mainly because the books were there in my house or my grandparents house. Even at 10 or 12 I didn't find them excessively boring or offensive or even hard to understand.

Sure adapt them and turn Pride and Prejudice into a Harlequin Romance.

As Catlady said the value is in a good part the writing style and possibly some insight into how Jane Austen thought. Take that away bit by bit and eventually you have 50 Shades.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:03 PM   #38
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"The Austen Project" is setting out to rewrite Jane Austen's six classic novels for a modern readership. Each of her novels is being tackled by a different author; the first, which has just been published, is a rewrite of "Sense and Sensibility" by Joanna Trollope, with the next being "Northanger Abbey" which is being adapted by Val McDermid.

For more information, see http://theaustenproject.com/
That's pitiful - a further example of catering to the lowest common denominator of the reading public.

See Mr. Bennett.
See Mr. Bennett read a book.
Mr. Bennett is in his library.
Mr. Bennett has many daughters.
It is very noisy in Mr. Bennett's house.
But it is quiet in the library.

I guess I must have been a child prodigy because I read Austen when I was about 14 and actually understood what I read, in the style it was written.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
That's pitiful - a further example of catering to the lowest common denominator of the reading public.

See Mr. Bennett.
See Mr. Bennett read a book.
Mr. Bennett is in his library.
Mr. Bennett has many daughters.
It is very noisy in Mr. Bennett's house.
But it is quiet in the library.

I guess I must have been a child prodigy because I read Austen when I was about 14 and actually understood what I read, in the style it was written.
I was also a teenager when I first read Austen and, I enjoyed her style and wit.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #40
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
And why shouldn't the lowest common denominator be catered to? Since the printing press was invented, people have been selling books to the lowest common denominator.

But this isn't the lowest common denominator, that would be considerably lower. No one is taking away Jane Austen in the original. This is a tempest in a teaspoon.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #41
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
I'm not suggesting that these new modern versions should replace the originals, but if they get people to read the stories, then isn't that a good thing?
Why is it a good thing that people read those stories in particular, whether original or re-written?

A "classic" is just a story, and isn't something so important that the message needs to be translated by other authors. The re-writes may be wonderful to read, but that will be down to the new author's writing style, and nothing to do with the original material.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #42
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I'll just stick with my Classics Illustrated comics.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #43
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
And why shouldn't the lowest common denominator be catered to? Since the printing press was invented, people have been selling books to the lowest common denominator.

But this isn't the lowest common denominator, that would be considerably lower. No one is taking away Jane Austen in the original. This is a tempest in a teaspoon.
They should be served, just like any other aspect of the reading public - but not catered to. Dumbing-down classics just because some folks don't want to take the time and effort to appreciate and learn a writing style, or to learn a bit of history or about society from an earlier age does them a disservice because it is spoon-feeding them pablum.

As much as I'd like to read "Ivanhoe", I just can't get into that book. But if someone rewrites it so that I can breeze through it, they aren't doing me any favors, because I'm not experiencing the author's words or voice. I'm merely reading story; they are removing the other dimensions of the work. Sort of like eating an entree that is missing the umami.

Classics Illustrated is a completely different thing. That is a transformation into a new medium.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #44
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I don't see the point. Part of the flavor of a book is the vocabulary that the author used in writing it. To change that would be like making a copy of the Mona Lisa in crayon and trying to say it's as good as the Michaelangelo original. When I was in Jr. High school I remember I came across a copy of a book of Shakespeare's plays that had been written in modern English. To me it just fell flat. I think it would be the same with any other classic author whose works were re-written in contemporary English. Yes there is a learning curve when antiquated words are used in a text like say Le Morte D'Arthur, but at the same time having to look those words up to find their proper meaning can draw the reader deeper into the story in the long run.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallOfCth'reader View Post
Why is it a good thing that people read those stories in particular, whether original or re-written?

A "classic" is just a story, and isn't something so important that the message needs to be translated by other authors. The re-writes may be wonderful to read, but that will be down to the new author's writing style, and nothing to do with the original material.
I agree to a point, but I think you are wrong about a "classic" just being a story. There is something special about a "Classic " book that stands out from the rest of its contemporaries and makes certain that it doesn't just fade away and be forgotten. "Classics" are books that are still being read several hundred years (at least) after the author has laid down his/her pen for the last time. We often say (book title) is a modern classic but I don't know how we can be so sure about that. A book that is popular does stand a better chance of staying in print and becoming a classic, but it is only with time that a book is really found to qualify as a "classic" book I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote