Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
Why I am avoiding the Nook Glow Light...

So I need a new e-reader. GF daughter got my old one. Girl loves to read. So I am thinking the new nook with glow light looks like a winner. Been doing the research over the last few days just to make sure, and I was heading up to town to buy it today.

Then I saw this article. With this information. ABORT!!! Just gonna buy the Simple touch. Why B&N did not test how fragile this thing was gonna be is beyond me. While there is no screen damage, and you won't notice it in daylight, When you turn on the glow light itself, U can see the damage. Just a warning.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...e-new-nooklit/
Old 06-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I have yet to see any real world reports of the problem. So far just two blog reports (this one is someone intentionally trying to cause this problem)

If you drop a eink reader (or drop something on it) you are likely to run into problems.
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
maxiart
The Black-Hearted
maxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the huskmaxiart can grip it by the husk

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
If you drop any gadget whatsoever you are likely to run into problems.
Rule of thumb.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You need to look after any eInk device. Keeping it in a decent case is absolutely essential, IMHO. I've owned goodness knows how many eInk devices going right back to the Sony PRS-500, and have had zero problems.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I use my nook classic as a baseball mitten.
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Well, I must be extra careful (with 8 dogs and 5 cats, it will be a challenge). I really love mine.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
I have yet to see any real world reports of the problem. So far just two blog reports (this one is someone intentionally trying to cause this problem)
There was one posted here, that's how I first heard of it.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #8
tym
Connoisseur
tym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five wordstym can name that ebook in five words

Device: nook touch
I hope I am wrong. I hope the new glow light works out for everyone. Time will tell how well they work out for everyone.

With all the reviews of the product, it would be nice if some site would run real world tests on it. See how fragile it is or is not.

Guess we will all just have to see if people post the issues on this forum. Good or Bad. Im just getting to old and to cautious.

What I wish I would of done, got it, waited a few days, dropped a set of keys on it or something simple. If it damaged it, then returned it, with in the 14 day grace period.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tym View Post
What I wish I would of done, got it, waited a few days, dropped a set of keys on it or something simple. If it damaged it, then returned it, with in the 14 day grace period.
Why would you deliberely try to damage a reader? Do you drop sharp metal objects on to your reading devices in everyday life? I've been reading eBooks for something in excess of 25 years now, and I don't recall ever having done something like that to any of my devices, even accidentally.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Djedefre
Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Djedefre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I suppose he wanted to have an excuse to be able to return it for something else, but me personally, I baby all of my electronics (except my old iPhone 4, hated that thing), so if I had one already and upon learning of its fragility, I'd just take extra precaution with it.

Last edited by Djedefre; 06-13-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I h ave a Glowlight and I keep it in a case, as I do for all of my gadgets. No problems.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
supermighty
Groupie
supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.supermighty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2
I opted for the nook simple touch over the glow light because I didn't want the slightly grayer screen (built in screen protector). Also I wouldn't use the light very often at all because I enjoy reading with an external light and I'm crazy when it comes to saving, extending, battery life.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

If you drop a eink reader (or drop something on it) you are likely to run into problems.
Except in this case, the technology does not seem capable of withstanding the perils of normal use. And, yes, I do consider the minor mishaps that happen in everyday life to be a part of normal use. The GlowTouch should, at the very least, be able to survive a light bump on the screen surface (such as the dropped remote mentioned in one report) without significantly impairing the usability of the device.

The bottom line is that the GlowTouch screen does seem to be considerably more fragile then any other ereader device at present, which is a significant point. Note that it was the so-called "screen protector" that was damaged and not the e-ink screen itself.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 06-15-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Except in this case, the technology does not seem capable of withstanding the perils of normal use. And, yes, I do consider the minor mishaps that happen in everyday life to be a part of normal use. The GlowTouch should, at the very least, be able to survive a light bump on the screen surface (such as the dropped remote mentioned in one report) without significantly impairing the usability of the device.
Dropping a remote on the screen would definitively not be "normal use" in my book.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #15
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
That's a debatable point. What is not debatable, however, is that the screen of the GlowLight is apparently less durable than other eReaders and tablets, which is a mark against it. One report on the forum suggested that even minor scratches can be a significant problem.
Closed Thread