Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
Ochenapkahi
Ochenapkahi began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to?

Hola amigos!!

I am looking for a solution.

I have some contents of my own and I would like them to publish into .prc format.The question is I don't want them available in any other website and would like to add some drm into these files.

I have mobipocket creator and reader. Please somebody will help me achieve my goal?thank you very much for your help.

God Bless
Ochenapkahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your goals are incompatible. Mobi DRM works using a server on the seller's site. You can specify, using Mobipocket Creator, that your book should have DRM, but you can't "implement" the DRM yourself.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
By the way, who can implement this mobi-drm nowadays? Is it only Amazon as they've bought Mobipocket? Or can it be achieved in another way?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
By the way, who can implement this mobi-drm nowadays? Is it only Amazon as they've bought Mobipocket? Or can it be achieved in another way?
That's an excellent question. I believe that Mobipocket still have their own DRM server, and Overdrive used to have one, too. I'd guess they're both still operating. Amazon of course have their own private DRM server used only for their own content - the other two servers were used by all the sites which sold Mobi-format books. Does anyone still sell Mobi books commercially other than "mobipocket.com"? I've not looked in years.

The way that you used to publish DRM-protected books was to upload them to the "eBookBase" on Mobipocket.com, and they in turn would make the book available to other retailers. I don't know if any of that is still operating.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Ah, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

The way that you used to publish DRM-protected books was to upload them to the "eBookBase" on Mobipocket.com, and they in turn would make the book available to other retailers. I don't know if any of that is still operating.

Yes, that's what I was remembering and why I was asking, as I couldn't imagine that this is still operating.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My only suggestion to the original poster would be to perhaps use some form of watermarking to individualise a book to the purchaser?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
Ochenapkahi
Ochenapkahi began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Harry and Billi for your time and answer.

So,there ain't a way to protect my things except watermarking..what I just want is to distribute my writings and knowledge to everybody but just want to make sure that somebody else can't redistribute it from their website.WM is an option ,I agree but it doesn't make the redistribution method stop,isn't it?

Thanks again.Cheers!!
Ochenapkahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There is no technical way to prevent redistribution. Even if you were to use Mobi DRM, it can trivially be removed.

Why not distribute your book via Amazon?