Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
Cerridwyn
Cerridwyn began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor
My Sony Doorstop

I used to have a Sony, the one that was top of the line in early 2009.

It quit charging after about 13 months.

It went back to Sony, I had a service agreement.
I got back a lesser quality devise
I complained - for many phone calls over a month
I returned the lesser quality devise
I got a better quality devise
I think it is the same one I sent them because the battery won't charge.

Moral - Sony has no customer service
Cerridwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
That's too bad about your experience. Did you know that you can change the battery on the Sony yourself ? (<-- step-by-step how to video also)

I was gifted a 505 on Christmas 2008 and it has been on since then. I charge whenever it is at 3/4 battery. On average, I charge it about every 2 weeks and use the wall charger as it is quicker and more reliable for me.

My mom purchased a 505 also in 2009 and charges her 505 about every 3 weeks.

Did you try a wall charger? Sometimes it takes a full overnight to register a charge.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Are you using a mains charger, Cerridwyn? The Sony doesn't charge at all well from a PC or laptop and the battery level meter shown on the device is notoriously over-optimistic.

I got a mains charger on advice from here (maybe from Dreams) a couple of years ago when I was having no end of trouble with my 505. It's performed perfectly ever since. I use it heavily and never let the meter run below three bars, but a single charge every two or three weeks tops it up just dandy.

Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
Cerridwyn

I charged it from my computer for over a year. I have tried a wall charger and it still gets nothing.

I wonder if I could charge it with the adapter that came on my nook. ....

I paid for an extended warranty which was the pits of the thing. Up until this happened, I charged usually weekly because it was easy to remember to do it on Sundays
Old 11-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Cerridwyn

Blah

Lost replies.

I had (have unworking) a 700 that I bought when they were fairly new. (not a 505). It charged fine via my computer until the day it didn't. I have tried plugging that into a USB charger adapter. Nothing. The one that came with my Nook is more powerful, wonder if it is worth a try or if it would blow up?
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerridwyn View Post
Lost replies.

I had (have unworking) a 700 that I bought when they were fairly new. (not a 505). It charged fine via my computer until the day it didn't. I have tried plugging that into a USB charger adapter. Nothing. The one that came with my Nook is more powerful, wonder if it is worth a try or if it would blow up?
I wouldn't mess around with that, I'm pretty sure they don't use the same charger. Pick up a PSP charger from your local Target or Walmart. That's what I have and it works great. I've had my Sony 505 since May of '08, and although it doesn't hold a charge like it used to, it still goes a week without needing a charge. When the time comes I'll change the battery myself (love it too much to give it up!)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Define more powerful...

Quote:
Lost replies.

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Cerridwyn--

I agree with lilac_jive--

The older Sonys will NOT charge via a USB/AC adapter. In fact, several people have reported that this actually drains the battery even further. To charge via AC, you need to get a PSP charger that'll plug into the round "DC-In" port on the reader. If the battery is really dead (which it sounds like yours is) it could take several hours to get a decent charge via AC.

Good luck!
dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
KD8COO
KD8COO began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Quote:
Moral - Sony has no customer service
Ugh, I hope that's not true seeing as my fairly new 900 is failing me.

One of my friends that helped persuade me to get the 900 had a 505. Failed right after I bought mine... I was hoping it was a fluke, but the more I read the more I think I made a mistake buying one. :-(
KD8COO is offline   Reply With Quote