Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #121
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Was it instant or regular rice? What else was with the rice?
Might I suggest you cook the rice and pastas separate and add them to the finished product.
Pasta works great and is easy to make in the Power Cooker. It comes out perfect every time. I suspect the rice wasn't good quality. You don't use instant rice in a pressure cooker it will turn to mush I also had a pressure issue, it kept losing pressure but the liquid ratio was off that much I know now. You have to be careful with recipes out there. I find just winging it works better. Also not all rice is the same so a recipe that works for them might not work for you.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #122
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yup. While it may or may not actually flavor the food, we got an extra seal. One for sweets, one for savory, so there'd be no chance of cumin-flavored cheesecake and such.
I can see why. I don't see us cooking anything sweet in it. I do find my lemon soap works great in getting some of the smell out. I just soak it in that.

Sent from my XT1528
Advert
Old 01-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #123
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Pasta works great and is easy to make in the Power Cooker. It comes out perfect every time. I suspect the rice wasn't good quality. You don't use instant rice in a pressure cooker it will turn to mush I also had a pressure issue, it kept losing pressure but the liquid ratio was off that much I know now. You have to be careful with recipes out there. I find just winging it works better. Also not all rice is the same so a recipe that works for them might not work for you.

Sent from my XT1528
Since there are many rice varieties and even just your plain white rice can be processed in a number of ways, rice is always a 50/50 shot. It doesn't matter the cooking method.

Oh and not to derail the thread but all recipes are a gamble.
I would say if one is new to an area, find recipes from your area.

I will give you a little tip on times in your pressure cooker. Make sure you do not use a high elevation recipe.
If you are doing an online recipe and the poster is from Denver, Albuquerque, Odessa or other high places, do not trust the cooking times. All of those places require either more pressure or longer cook times due to the boiling temperature of water.
Same thing with baking, a recipe that works for you may not work for me. Matter of fact if you used a high altitude baking recipe, whatever you baked would be flatter because of not enough leavening.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #124
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I will never make hard boil eggs any other way again! Time to give away the egg cooker.

Perfect hard boil eggs that peel perfectly. This is a first for me. I have never peeled a perfect egg ever! The peeling just falls away. I foresee devil eggs in the future.

I have tried many methods and never had them work for every single egg. I peeled a dozen eggs in minutes. Now I know how the grocery stores do it. Perfect yolk no green at all, no dents and no weird shape whites.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 01-18-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:08 PM   #125
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Was it instant or regular rice? What else was with the rice?
Might I suggest you cook the rice and pastas separate and add them to the finished product.
All rice isn't quite the same. For slow cooking, the only advisable rice is "converted". Uncle Ben's converted rice is the only brand I know. Normal rice turns to mush over the amount of time required for a slow cooker recipe.

I don't have one of these Instant Pot type cookers, so I can't speak to the pressurized cooking of rice. Has anybody here tried a "converted" rice, in the fast cooker?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #126
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
All rice isn't quite the same. For slow cooking, the only advisable rice is "converted". Uncle Ben's converted rice is the only brand I know. Normal rice turns to mush over the amount of time required for a slow cooker recipe.

I don't have one of these Instant Pot type cookers, so I can't speak to the pressurized cooking of rice. Has anybody here tried a "converted" rice, in the fast cooker?
Ok Minute Rice is cooked longer than Uncle Ben's.
I tend to use either minute or cooked rice in my slow cooker.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #127
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Ok Minute Rice is cooked longer than Uncle Ben's.
I tend to use either minute or cooked rice in my slow cooker.
Um, no. Minute Rice is cooked for a minute (plus or minus). A web google just told me that Uncle Ben's Converted rice requires 20 minutes, plus 5 more minutes of sitting with the lid on. So it's closer to regular raw rice, except that it has somehow been "fixed" so it won't absorb too much water and lose it's shape in a slow cooker.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:22 PM   #128
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Um, no. Minute Rice is cooked for a minute (plus or minus). A web google just told me that Uncle Ben's Converted rice requires 20 minutes, plus 5 more minutes of sitting with the lid on. So it's closer to regular raw rice, except that it has somehow been "fixed" so it won't absorb too much water and lose it's shape in a slow cooker.
You misunderstood.
Minute Rice parboils their rice longer than Uncle Ben parboils theirs before it gets to the shelf.
Not we cook it longer.
A quick Google search told me Minute was parboiled longer than the uncle.

I typically use Minute Rice. It is one of the few foods, I don't do store brand.
I have no luck with raw rice.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #129
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
You misunderstood.
Minute Rice parboils their rice longer than Uncle Ben parboils theirs before it gets to the shelf.
Not we cook it longer.
A quick Google search told me Minute was parboiled longer than the uncle.

I typically use Minute Rice. It is one of the few foods, I don't do store brand.
I have no luck with raw rice.
You can't use either I'm told in a pressure cooker. You have to use non parboiled rice. Some claim 1:1 ratio others 1:1.4 and most use jasmine or basmati rice. I've no clue where to find either. They say to rinse the rice but the bag I had says you lose nutrients that way.

The rice my sis gave was Riceland brand. Did not work well and I didn't like how it looked uncooked so that's should have alerted me if wouldn't do well.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #130
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Jasmine and basmati are both on the same aisle at Walmart as the rest of the rices. Note if I remember correctly Jasmine has a unique flavor profile. Both are also on the rather expensive side.
If you aren't brand picky, Great Value is usually on par with the name brand products. And 32 ounces is $1.18. I would do the 1:1.4 ratio.
And do rinse the rice. You won't lose that many nutrients. Especially if you are using white long grain rice.
I would rinse just because of the way it is packaged.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 01-18-2017 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #131
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Dinner tonight was lemon shrimp and artichoke risotto in the IP.
Yum.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #132
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Dinner tonight was lemon shrimp and artichoke risotto in the IP.
Yum.
That sounds delicious! I had pizza. (Little Ceasars) The lady didn't like the look of the pizza so she gave us a second one free! Hubby was there picking up a job application. There was nothing wrong with the first. The cheese was just little toasted.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #133
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That sounds delicious! I had pizza. (Little Ceasars) The lady didn't like the look of the pizza so she gave us a second one free! Hubby was there picking up a job application. There was nothing wrong with the first. The cheese was just little toasted.

Sent from my XT1528
Free pizza is always good.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #134
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
A couple free cookbooks that popped up on my radar today:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBUPSLC
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5PJEHX

These might be old news, and I haven't read them yet, much less tried any of the recipes to recommend them, just saw they were IP and free.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM   #135
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I made Pot Roast. Looks and smells amazing. I think next time 6 minutes on the veggies instead of 10 still a bit soft but not like last time where they disintegrated.

I'm having pressure problems on my cooker too. I think it might be defective.

Sent from my Nexus 7