Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #106
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Thanks for the recipe, I made this one tonight. I haven't been very successful reducing sauces in the IP, maybe because the volume of liquid is so large to start with. I should dump half of it and then add the roux. I still prefer using thighs rather than breasts for juiciness in the stewed-chicken-type IP recipes but it was tasty.
My wife has experimented a bit with the liquid and thickening to make it more saucey than soupy, but i like it both ways. Especially in cold weather.

I think thighs (in the absence of an old rooster) is more traditional, but l like breasts. Actually for most of my life i couldn't stand any dark meat, and its only been a few dishes Ive encountered in recent years that changed my mind. That chicken adobo recipie i posted uses thighs, and its awesome, especially if you get the skin crispy.

Last edited by ApK; 01-08-2017 at 10:42 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:38 PM   #107
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Is it normal for it to hiss a few seconds when it comes to pressure?

I have no idea of what he threw in it. Fresh veggies, canned veggies, broth, can soup and frozen chicken breast. But I told him not too much liquid I don't think he listened.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #108
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Is it normal for it to hiss a few seconds when it comes to pressure?
Yes. Did it really come with no instructions?
Old 01-09-2017, 09:01 PM   #109
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yes. Did it really come with no instructions?
Not detailed enough. More like it shows which part and mode is what and a small cooking guide that is it.

Cat does not like pressure release. She is hiding.

Soup's on!

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 PM   #110
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Potatoes fell apart, carrots were mushy but the canned veggies held up surprising well. I'm thinking 15 minutes might have been a little long even with frozen chicken which fell apart.

It was very good soup.

Sent from my XT1528
Advert
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 PM   #111
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This might be of interest

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.70a550579a06

Quote:
If you want to follow recipes in the provided booklets, your problems are solved. Or almost solved. What if you want to take one of those recipes for the pressure cooker and turn it into a slow-cooker meal? Or what if you find a Dutch oven recipe you like and want to convert it for a pressure cooker? Unfortunately, recipes don’t translate well among the applications.

Using a single recipe among the various methods often yields poor results. J. Kenji López-Alt, managing culinary editor of Serious Eats and author of “The Food Lab,” has demonstrated that when he used the same recipe (but adjusted the timing), slow cookers produced inferior food compared with Dutch ovens or pressure cookers. Clearly, the methods aren’t instantly interchangeable. And good recipes are written for the specific device in hand.

Thankfully, recipes can be translated across devices — and across functions on a multi-cooker. Here are five general rules for doing it:
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #112
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You obviously did not see this month's Better Homes and Gardens. They had several recipes that had instructions for both slow cooker and pressure cooker.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #113
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Power Cooker Meal #2

Egg noodles, cream of chicken soup, creamy chicken & dumplings soup, water, seasoning and frozen chicken breast on top.

10 minutes/Pressure 70 plan to quick release.

I read that with cream soups you have to thin them out or it won't come to pressure and can scorch at the bottom I also read noodles need to be submerged to cook properly.

I will post results later.

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 01-15-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:13 PM   #114
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Perfecto!!!! Success!! I get an A.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-15-2017, 01:08 AM   #115
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I will say that it was delicious! It was a fast way to make chicken and egg noodle dumplings. When I opened it the sauce seemed soupy but as it cooled it thickened right up to perfect consistency. We shredded the chicken once done as well and mixed it all up. The key is to turn it off when done. (Mine you have to unplug to turn off) That pot acts like a thermos no need to keep it on warm just put the lid back on to keep kitty safe.

I love no thawing needed. I love this Power Cooker. I know I'll need to eventually buy a stainless steel pot for it but for now the Teflon one works just fine.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #116
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

This Facebook group is for all pressure cookers but it focuses on The Power Pressure Cooker XL.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1530752053869387

Mine is the non XL model so it's been very helpful in learning techniques.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-17-2017, 07:52 AM   #117
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I bought the instant pot when it was reduced for the black Friday and I have to say I’m very satisfied with it, I used a stovetop pressure cooker so I’m familiar with pressure cooking, but what sold me to buy this one was the ability to program it, the slow cook function and the keep warm, the yoghurt function also comes in handy.

The days before It arrived I searched amazon for some cookbooks about the instant pot and slow cooking, as I never slow cooked before, and I was very disappointed with the recipes, most cookbooks I saw have ingredients like a packet of rice, a can of tomatoes, a bottle of juice or a packet of some kind of seasoning. A recipe like this is hard for me to do, since I have no idea what is the weight of a packet of rice, or how many liters there are in a bottle of juice, and also for me cooking is about adding fresh ingredients not adding proceeded ones, so I gave up on the cookbooks.

Then I researched in internet and found the hip pressure cocking site, and there I felt I could find recipes that work for me, also the site has several charts about the cooking times, so when I’m in doubt I go there to see what time I should cook that kind of food.

I’ve tried several of my own recipes, adapted from the stovetop pressure cooker, and some adapted from HIP pressure cook, loved the HIP roast and the spaghetti and meatballs, cooked in one pot.

Also used the slow cooker, the first time used chicken, potatoes and carrots, and the meat was great, very tender but the carrots where to soft and the potatoes where hard, so the second time I cut the potatoes in smaller chunks and the carrots in bigger ones, and put the potatoes in the bottom of the pan and it turned out great.

I’ve made yogurt several times, but I only use the second yoghurt function, I prefer to heat the milk in another device.

But what I love most about it is to come home and have the food ready to eat, even if I get home after what I expected I know that the food will be warm, so just for this it was worth the cost. Also I don’t have to keep watch over her and it doesn’t make noise or steam and doesn’t heat the kitchen, things that the stovetop pressure cooker did.
As for negatives, I found that with stew diches the sealing ring traps the smell, so I decided to buy another sealing ring to use with the yogurt.

I had a problem with my instant pot, as the sauté function didn’t work well, it never reached the «hot» so I couldn’t program anything in that function, I contacted amazon customer service, and they offered to send a replacement one, they send it with fast shipping and it arrived the next day, I’ve send the faulty one back and I’m waiting for them to confirm it’s arrival and to reimburse the shipping costs.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #118
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

My last meal was a flop. The rice was mushy. It's like spinning a wheel hoping you get the gold with this thing.

I agree the seal gets smelly.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #119
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
My last meal was a flop. The rice was mushy. It's like spinning a wheel hoping you get the gold with this thing.

Sent from my XT1528
Was it instant or regular rice? What else was with the rice?
Might I suggest you cook the rice and pastas separate and add them to the finished product.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:52 PM   #120
ApK

Quote:

Yup. While it may or may not actually flavor the food, we got an extra seal. One for sweets, one for savory, so there'd be no chance of cumin-flavored cheesecake and such.