Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-26-2016, 05:22 PM   #76
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I just hope Blossom comes back to let us know how they like their cooker after they use it.
I'd be interested to know, too!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #77
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It will be awhile but I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 08:18 PM   #78
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need help. This device doesn't come with much info. I'm lost.

I have can chilli, pasta and frozen lil Smokies. How would you cook this in the IP?

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #79
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I need help. This device doesn't come with much info. I'm lost.

I have can chilli, pasta and frozen lil Smokies. How would you cook this in the IP?

Sent from my XT1528
Hmm.. Sweetie, canned chili and lil Smokies don't get cooked, they get reheated.
You can do pasta in it but we have not been thrilled with the pasta recipies we've tried.

Would you be interested in a few of our favorite pressure cooker recipes? My wife and I can PM you.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #80
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Hmm.. Sweetie, canned chili and lil Smokies don't get cooked, they get reheated.
You can do pasta in it but we have not been thrilled with the pasta recipies we've tried.

Would you be interested in a few of our favorite pressure cooker recipes? My wife and I can PM you.

ApK
Sure tried and true recipes are welcomed.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Advert
Old 01-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #81
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay ended up doing it the old fashion way. Cooked pasta on stove, fried up lil Smokies in a pan. They are like ballpark they plump up when you cook them. I then added the can chili and pasta. It's now simmering on the stove.

It turns out my pressure cooker has a pasta/rice mode. I know instant pot doesn't recommend pasta but I found videos of my cooker showing how to make pasta using water. So they are somewhat different. However you have to wash all parts and run a test mode before cooking in it the first time. I feel like crud so I just cooked it the standard way.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #82
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Okay ended up doing it the old fashion way. Cooked pasta on stove, fried up lil Smokies in a pan. They are like ballpark they plump up when you cook them. I then added the can chili and pasta. It's now simmering on the stove.

It turns out my pressure cooker has a pasta/rice mode. I know instant pot doesn't recommend pasta but I found videos of my cooker showing how to make pasta using water. So they are somewhat different. However you have to wash all parts and run a test mode before cooking in it the first time. I feel like crud so I just cooked it the standard way.

Sent from my XT1528
With those ingredients, you are better off doing it on the stove. Take more time and effort to prepare the pot and then the cleanup.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #83
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure tried and true recipes are welcomed.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Some of our favorites:

http://flolum.com/instant-pot-smart-chicken-adobo/

http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooke...arlic-chicken/

http://thisoldgal.com/pressure-cooke...rk-cheesecake/

We're having this tonight:
http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/...o-cheese-soup/

Here's my personal favorite:
http://www.marthastewart.com/318705/...oker-variation
I just realized it's missing the traditional lardon/bacon, but it's delicious anyway.

My wife recommends checking out the Instant Pot Facebook group for recipes. Here's her bookmark link. I wash my hands of it, I hate Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/groups/826223...?ref=bookmarks

Yours has a timer, high pressure/low pressure selection and browning mode, so 99% of recipes should be directly applicable.

Last edited by ApK; 01-07-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #84
ApK

Quote:
It turns out my pressure cooker has a pasta/rice mode. I know instant pot doesn't recommend pasta but I found videos of my cooker showing how to make pasta using water.
The rice cooker mode (on the IP at least) is the only sensor/automatic mode, and works pretty well.

The reason electric pressure cookers tend to recommend against pasta, is that there is a risk that the starchy foam can clog the safety mechanisms in the lid.
I'm not sure I see a tremendous advantage to cooking a pot full of plain pasta in a PC, but some recipes that INCLUDE pasta can work well supposedly.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #85
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thanks so much. We just got a delivery of groceries. Hubby is going to make beef stew tomorrow in it. We use to make it in the slow cooker so this should be quicker I think.

That potato soup sounds devine. Let me know how it turns out.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #86
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Question. All the recipes for pressure cooker stew call for browning the meat. We never do this. I find it makes the meat tough. If we skip this step does it still only take 15 minutes to cook the stew?

Sent from my XT1528
Old 01-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #87
ApK

Quote:
Question. All the recipes for pressure cooker stew call for browning the meat. We never do this. I find it makes the meat tough. If we skip this step does it still only take 15 minutes to cook the stew?

Sent from my XT1528
Browning the meat is for flavor.
I would never skip it <shudder>. It makes a huge difference.
And it should not make meat tough. Brown it, dont kill it.
Also, pressure cooking makes meat very tender, so please dont skip it.
However, for anything except ground meat, where browning basically equals cooking, skipping it should not change the time. It may just change the dish from delicious to something housewives made in rhe forties.

Last edited by ApK; 01-07-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #88
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Thanks. I just needed to know about the time seeing neither of us prefer browned stew meat.

We take potatoes, carrots, celery, beef broth add stew meat and cook on high in the crockpot for 6 hours. It's amazing good.

Sometimes I use pot roast season which comes in a packet but they forgot it.

I'm skeptical about 15 minutes in the pressure cooker but I guess we will see.

I also noticed that pot roast recipes also have browning. I have never brown my roast. I can't imagine it. Yuck. So just to be clear unless it's hamburger meat I can skip the browning and it's doesn't change the time?

Sent from my XT1528

Last edited by Blossom; 01-07-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:49 PM   #89
ApK

I feel like I'm being entrapped into food abuse and contributing to the delinquency of a cook.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #90
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Thanks. I just needed to know about the time seeing neither of us prefer browned stew meat.

We take potatoes, carrots, celery, beef broth add stew meat and cook on high in the crockpot for 6 hours. It's amazing good.

Sometimes I use pot roast season which comes in a packet but they forgot it.

I'm skeptical about 15 minutes in the pressure cooker but I guess we will see.

I also noticed that pot roast recipes also have browning. I have never brown my roast. I can't imagine it. Yuck. So just to be clear unless it's hamburger meat I can skip the browning and it's doesn't change the time?

Sent from my XT1528
So ApK doesn't contribute to the delinquency of a cook again, you do not have brown your meat.

Though I will tell you, brown just means a very quick sear. Just long enough to change the color. It should be done in a very hot pan. Heat up the pan before adding the meat.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote