Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-12-2015, 02:56 PM   #91
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, most new ADE4 features only work with ePub3 files. I.e., you'll have to code your ePub file as an ePub3 file to take advantage of the new ADE4 features.

I've created a simple test file with Sigil 0.8.4, converted it with the optional Sigil ePub3 plugin and both nowrap and the solid border top styles seem to work with ADE4.
Thanks for testing, Doitsu. Still, the odd thing is that this is an EPUB2 document which works in ADE2, but not in ADE4. The text inside the "nowrap" environment is a sequence of <span>-tags, but it does not include any explicit whitespace.
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Thanks for testing, Doitsu. Still, the odd thing is that this is an EPUB2 document which works in ADE2, but not in ADE4. The text inside the "nowrap" environment is a sequence of <span>-tags, but it does not include any explicit whitespace.
Check if what you are doing is valid in ePub 3 or if it's changed. That could be why it doesn't work as expected with ADE 4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2015, 02:49 PM   #93
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
Breaking at spaceless tag boundaries is a known ADE bug, IIRC. You might try adding  (a zero-width nonbreaking space) between the span tags and see if that helps.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #94
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
I'm using ADE 2.0, and encountering the issue of an uncoded page break if the html file in an epub exceeds 200K (or thereabouts -- I'm not sure of the exact length that triggers it).

Other than reformatting the file and breaking it anyway (which I don't really want to do if I can avoid it), is there any kind of fix for this? Has it been addressed in more recent versions of ADE?
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #95
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I'm using ADE 2.0, and encountering the issue of an uncoded page break if the html file in an epub exceeds 200K (or thereabouts -- I'm not sure of the exact length that triggers it).

Other than reformatting the file and breaking it anyway (which I don't really want to do if I can avoid it), is there any kind of fix for this? Has it been addressed in more recent versions of ADE?
ADE has always done this. There is no way to prevent this that I know of. It is designed to avoid loading excessively long files.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #96
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Dale.

Yes, I thought it was a fairly long-standing, ermm, behaviour -- I just rarely encounter it, because I always give chapters their own file.

It's just that the book I'm formatting is divided into four major sections, with no subdivisions (chapters or the like) within each section. I could force a break in the coding, but there's no logical place to do it, so the end result would be no different from what ADE is already doing. (Well, a slight difference: I could choose where it breaks that way, but the disruption to the formatting would be essentially the same.)

I understand the need to contain file sizes within an epub, but is 200K really that much of a worry?
Old 03-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #97
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks Dale.

Yes, I thought it was a fairly long-standing, ermm, behaviour -- I just rarely encounter it, because I always give chapters their own file.

It's just that the book I'm formatting is divided into four major sections, with no subdivisions (chapters or the like) within each section. I could force a break in the coding, but there's no logical place to do it, so the end result would be no different from what ADE is already doing. (Well, a slight difference: I could choose where it breaks that way, but the disruption to the formatting would be essentially the same.)

I understand the need to contain file sizes within an epub, but is 200K really that much of a worry?
It is something you do need to deal with if you plan on publishing this and it's not just something for yourself. Older devices that use an older version of RMDSK do need to have the sections divided and if you don't, they won't be able to read your book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:29 PM   #98
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks Dale.

It is actually about 260K I think. Anyway, Calibre splits it for you as well. It is better for you to control the split I think. It is really bad when it comes within a paragraph. Some devices have very limited memory.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:16 AM   #99
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is actually about 260K I think. Anyway, Calibre splits it for you as well. It is better for you to control the split I think.
On the other hand, if you don't split it and the device does it on its own, it will work fine automatically when the book is opened in a device that doesn't need the split. But books with artificially split chapters will remain split forever, even in devices with several GB or RAM...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:51 AM   #100
MacEachaidh
Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is actually about 260K I think.
These files aren't that high. Two of them, 142K and 171K in the expanded ePub, have no issues. The two that do split are 203K and 208K. (I've confirmed there's nothing in the code to make them split, which is why I'm assuming it's the size.)

Quote:
Anyway, Calibre splits it for you as well.
Nahh, Calibre's not for me, but thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
On the other hand, if you don't split it and the device does it on its own, it will work fine automatically when the book is opened in a device that doesn't need the split. But books with artificially split chapters will remain split forever, even in devices with several GB or RAM...
That was my thinking. In this case, the file's just for me, so in a sense it doesn't really matter. But I think it's important to understand these things, rather than just assume.

Speaking of assuming: Am I right in thinking this is a product of the way the F/W caches documents from an ePub? (Is that what it does?) I know my Aura HD has 4GB of storage, but does it actually have its own kind of RAM, or does it use virtual memory? and some kind of paging?
Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Speaking of assuming: Am I right in thinking this is a product of the way the F/W caches documents from an ePub? (Is that what it does?) I know my Aura HD has 4GB of storage, but does it actually have its own kind of RAM, or does it use virtual memory? and some kind of paging?
From memory, the Aura HD has 512KB of RAM. I have no idea how it loads the books. But, for epubs it is relying on the RMSDK to do a lot of the work.

The kepub reader is completely different and doesn't have this type of limit. Or at least not one I've hit when experimenting. If you load the book as a kepub you won't need to split it. But, you will need to add the spans kepubs need.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 AM   #102
MacEachaidh
Browser

I have no knowledge of the workings of kepubs whatsoever. Where does one find this information?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 AM   #103
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I have no knowledge of the workings of kepubs whatsoever. Where does one find this information?
Look here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kepub.

It is an Kobo format.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:40 AM   #104
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The little official documentation is https://github.com/kobolabs/epub-spec. But, for most purposes, it is just an epub. The reader application on the Kobo ereaders is different. It uses ACCESS rather than the Adobe RMSDK as the renderer. There are a few extra's that Kobo has coded in the reader. An example is that footnote are displayed as a popup. There is a link to the location. Another is some nice in-book stats.

The only real issue with kepubs is that they use a different reading position method. The kepub conversion wraps each sentence in a span with an id. This id is used for the location for the current position and bookmarks. There are calibre plugins to convert to kepub either in the library or when sending to the device.

You can test any epub as an kepub simply by copying it to the device with the extension ".kepub.epub". This triggers treating it as a kepub. Everything except the reading position will work. It will remember the chapter, but not where in the chapter.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:22 AM   #105
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can see the only possible issue is how each engine handles invalid markup; for instance tags not properly closed.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote