Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
moonbaby202
moonbaby202 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Make your own cover?

For my bday my family decided to surprise me with a nook. I'm actually really happy with it considering I have never had one. The only thing is I'm afraid to take it anywhere because there is no protection on it. I have looked around for something that will keep it safe in my backpack and what not that im not gonna have to spend 30+ with shipping and handling. So I was wondering if anyone knew how to make covers for them. I really don't want to spend a whole lot because the whole poor college student thing that I have going on right now lol.
moonbaby202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
Lexi Revellian
Groupie
Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lexi Revellian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
It's not that hard with a little ingenuity. Just two pieces of fabric a bit bigger than the Nook, plus extra for a flap; and two more for the lining. Seam as necessary. Then velcro to fasten the flap down. You can probably find all you need kicking about; do it neatly and it'll be both attractive and unique.

(Do you ever make things? If not, perhaps ask a friend...)
Lexi Revellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
jezebel
Fanatic
jezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoonjezebel knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kindle Fire (5th Gen), Nook Color
There are some threads in the various fora by people who've made covers from all kinds of things, from re-purposed small photo books to circuit boards.

I would say you might want to sandwich something stiff between the fabric you use to add some protection from other objects that it may come into contact with in your backpack.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
Just buy (or even better re-use) a padded (bubble-wrap) envelope, if you don't feel like making something.
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I agree all the cases are priced too high, some really ridiculously high. I tried to do it myself but ending with two notebooks ripped apart and a bunch of cut rubber bands. I finally bought an M-Edge Executive Black Leather Jacket for NOOK from ebay for 20 bucks (15 plus 5 shipping).
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I posted this in this other thread.

None of the standard nook covers fit my needs to I made a homebrew that is almost perfect. I got the At-A-Glance planner cover for $15 from OfficeMax, reinforced both the front and back covers with 1/8" thick plexiglas that I had laying around. I then padded the area between the plexi and the inside layer with the foam from the nook packaging. After removing the zipper pull from the inside, I put two Command picture hanging strips (which I got on sale for about $.25 a pack) to attach the nook to the cover. It is completely rigid to protect the screen and as well padded as the original packaging.

Please go to the original post to see the pics.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
eBay - there are always m-Edge cases from Best Buy for sale, and people who bought a B&N case and changed their mind.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote