Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
bfls
bfls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How To Access Amazon Account Details from Kindle

I'm having trouble accessing my Amazon account. I don't live at the same place as I did when I set up the account but never bothered to update my address details as I only use my account to buy e-books. When I tried to log into my Amazon account today it decided it wasn't sure I was really me and wants to know my phone number as an extra security check. I don't remember the number any more!

I tried contacting Amazon Support but they didn't bother reading my email carefully. As soon as they saw I was having trouble logging in they reset my password for me. That isn't the problem. I remember the password just fine - the old one and the new one. It still wants the phone number which I don't know.

I have a standard Kindle (no keyboard, not paperwhite or fire). Is there any way to find out my account details from the Kindle itself? I found how to access my street address (which I do remember) but not the magical, missing phone number. Any body have any ideas? This is driving me crazy
bfls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Contact Amazon CS again - preferably by phone - and explain your problem to them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Call the phone company and they will tell you the phone number if you really had one. They also may ask for other identification first.

If you are not who you represent yourself to be, you may be out of luck.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
bfls
bfls began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I got it sorted. I was reluctant to call CS as I'm on holiday in Australia and didn't want to make an international call (accessing my account from the other side of the world was what got it red flagged). However, I discovered I could get CS to call me - which they did. Since I am who I represent myself to be I had no trouble convincing them that I am really me, just forgetful, and my account is now accessible again.

Word of warning. Amazon uses your phone number and/or the zip code on your credit card billing address as a secondary security question so keep them up to date so you don't have my problem.
bfls is offline   Reply With Quote