Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
sony 900 vs. kindle features

I just purchased the Sony 900 last night and so far am loving it! It has even gotten my 7 year old to read! Amazing! Anyway, I was looking through some of the ebook store and wondering this... I was experimenting with Calibre last night and added a few of the news feeds to my Sony with the "fetch news" feature. I was up all night reading PC World, Mac World, etc. Love love love that I can do this with my Sony! Anyway....

I was browsing through the Kindle store and there are soooo many more books for cheaper. There are a few books I would like to read and they aren't available on the Sony store. I do need to buy another reader for my husband anyway but was staying away from Kindle because of the DRM issues. I was wondering if the you can use another program like Calibre with the Kindle to do the same thing such as I did with the "Fetch News" feature on Calibre.

I love the fact that I can get a lot of free books through Google and other sources, but it seems that Amazon has quite a few free books as well. Does anyone own both a Sony and a Kindle that can comment on this?

Thanks for any input!
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There are a few DRM-free ebooks in the Kindle store, but as you might expect most have DRM (encryption). In the US, it is probably legal to circumvent the DRM for personal use of ebooks you bought. The DRM status is separate from the cost, so there are free and very low cost ebooks in the Kindle store with and without DRM.

If you have a Windows PC, buying from Amazon for the Sony is very easy. Get unswindle.pyw (perhaps you will need to install python, get Python 2.6.4 x86 MSI). Install Kindle for PC. Buy the Kindle ebook, and select your K4PC device to download to. Click on unswindle and get back a DRM-free MOBI ebook. Convert from MOBI to ePub using Calibre.

The only real issue is that some Kindle ebooks are TOPAZ and unswindle works on AZW only. The easiest way to check is to download the free sample of the ebook to K4PC first and unswindle will tell you that it is a TOPAZ. Note that if you really have to have a TOPAZ ebook it is possible to get it on your Sony, but it would take some work on your part.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
You are not limited to the Sony store. There are plenty other ebook stores to choose from which sell epub. And the prices can vary from store to store. Check a few of them out.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by naumanqayum View Post
give us some url
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.html
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ks/4294964587/
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/BB9FB3E5...en/default.htm

to name a few.

You can search for eBooks and compare prices and availability:
http://inkmesh.com/
http://ebooks.addall.com/
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Also check if any libraries close to you carry ebooks. Mine just started lending ebooks last year.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert