Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #61
highend
highend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok, so it seems to be necessary to move any "install files" (*.bin) over usb otherwise the KT doesn't recognize them as such. Does anyone know a (ssh -> command line) way to force the KT to discover already present .bin files in the /mnt/us folder that enables the "update your kindle" menu entry?
highend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 AM   #62
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
It is strange, I agree with you, because it is shifted to the correct place. No clue why the device behaves this way.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #63
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
The rescan content event that is passed when the USB is unplugged tells the device to look for updates.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #64
highend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
The rescan content event that is passed when the USB is unplugged tells the device to look for updates.
Thanks. Do you know a way to trigger that event manually (by executing a command via a ssh console login)?
Old 01-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #65
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by highend View Post
Thanks. Do you know a way to trigger that event manually (by executing a command via a ssh console login)?
Try this:
Code:
dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1;exit
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #66
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
I've modified the "orientation" entry in the GUI Launcher to avoid the 6 taps problem when in landscape mode.

This is my new /mnt/us/extensions/orientation/menu.json file:
Code:
{
  "items": [
    {
      "name": "Orientation",
      "priority": 5,
        {"name": "Portrait", "priority": 0, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "U"},
        {"name": "Portrait Inverted", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "D"},
        {"name": "Landscape Left", "priority": 2, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "L"},
        {"name": "Landscape Right", "priority": 3, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "R"}
      ]
    }
  ]
}
I've created a /mnt/us/extensions/orientation/bin directory containing this setorientation.sh shell script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

SETPROP=/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop
PREFS=/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

case "$1" in
"L"|"R")
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr orientationLock $1
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn true
        ;;
"U"|"D")
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn $({ grep onPageTurn $PREFS || echo false ; } | sed 's/.*=//')
        ;;
esac
The script set display refresh to always on when in landscape mode, and resets it to user setting when in portrait.

This fix works only when you turn pages. The problem is still there when you swipe to jump between chapters. After 6 swipes, the display does not refresh anymore and you have to touch the top of the screen to unlock it.

There's an issue after the 5.0.3 update.

The book browsing application cuts a vertical strip of pixels at right when in landscape mode. Header and footer are displayed correctly. The web browser is not affected, also. Here's a screenshot of the problem:

Last edited by pirl8; 01-19-2012 at 04:51 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #67
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post
I've modified the "orientation" entry in the GUI Launcher to avoid the 6 taps problem when in landscape mode.

This is my new /mnt/us/extensions/orientation/menu.json file:
Code:
{
    {
      "name": "Orientation",
      "priority": 5,
        {"name": "Portrait", "priority": 0, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "U"},
        {"name": "Portrait Inverted", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "D"},
        {"name": "Landscape Left", "priority": 2, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "L"},
        {"name": "Landscape Right", "priority": 3, "action": "bin/setorientation.sh", "params": "R"}
      ]
    }
  ]
}
I've created a /mnt/us/extensions/orientation/bin directory containing this setorientation.sh shell script:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

SETPROP=/usr/bin/lipc-set-prop
PREFS=/var/local/java/prefs/com.amazon.ebook.framework/prefs

case "$1" in
"L"|"R")
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn true
        ;;
"U"|"D")
        $SETPROP com.lab126.winmgr refreshOnTurn $({ grep onPageTurn $PREFS || echo false ; } | sed 's/.*=//')
        ;;
esac
The script set display refresh to always on when in landscape mode, and resets it to user setting when in portrait.

This fix works only when you turn pages. The problem is still there when you swipe to jump between chapters. After 6 swipes, the display does not refresh anymore and you have to touch the top of the screen to unlock it.

There's an issue after the 5.0.3 update.

The book browsing application cuts a vertical strip of pixels at right when in landscape mode. Header and footer are displayed correctly. The web browser is not affected, also. Here's a screenshot of the problem:

That's nice, mind if I update the next version of the launcher with this?
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #68
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
That's nice, mind if I update the next version of the launcher with this?
Of course you can!

pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #69
highend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastik View Post
Try this:
Code:
Thank you rastik.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my KT. I've transferred e.g. the update_launcher_1.0_install.bin file to the /mnt/us folder (via sftp) and after that I executed your command via a ssh connection (XShell under Windows).

The "Update your Kindle" is still greyed out after these two steps.

It seems I must own a very special version of the KT because the screen orientation change (via the launcher menu) doesn't work here, too.

It's a rooted KT (sponsored, special offer version) with the latest 5.0.3 firmware.

Regards,
Highend
Old 01-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #70
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
highend, I have the same device, same configuration and for me the orientation rotatation works via lauchner. Of course with the missing pixels as for others. Seems you have a special special offer version ;-)
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #71
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastik View Post
Try this:
Code:
This doesn't work on my Kindle (5.0.0, SO).

When I run "dbus-monitor --system" I don't see this event.
I tried monitoring for it both while doing "usb plug - usb remove" (so as to trigger this event) and while sending it manually.
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #72
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Good evening all,
sorry to disturb but I just installed the kindle_launcher_1.0.
Everything is fine but I can see the launcher menu only on the home menu not while reading.
If I tap the upper part of the screen while reading a book and I hit menu, I find only:

turn off wirelles
shop in kindle store
sync to furthest page read
book description
add bookmark
view notes & marks
turn on text-to-speech

am I supposed to see also launcher so that I can change orientation?
Thanks a lot
Best regards
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #73
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

It shows on my KT 5.0.0. Maybe it's yours 5.0.1 that blocks the stuff.
BTW what format of book are you reading? There're different readers in KT (e.g. PDF is separate from .txt one), so maybe Launcher isn't integrated in that particular reader (it isn't integrated in PDF, for example)
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #74
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried pdf, txt, pcr and azw from amazon.
It doesn't appear in any of them.
on the home screen, it is perfect!

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #75
silver18
THE NOOB

No worry!!!
After a few resets, I can finally see the launcher in reading mode.
Perfect!!!

Now, I have just to find a way of creating un update file.
I really can't find a way of make Yifanlu's kindletool working in windows!

Tags
kindle touch hacks