Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #31
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
the wiki looks great, thanks for the work! now we just need to have people put in more contents there

Last edited by shinew; 12-22-2011 at 10:53 AM.
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #32
lkewei
lkewei began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
The wiki is great! I am looking forward to more hacking. Thank you!
lkewei is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #33
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
OK, I have extended the architecture part of the Wiki. Let me know what you think of it, or better yet, make it better by adding some stuff! :-)

PS: Maybe I should bail out of this thread and start a new one about that, I don't want to highjack the topic.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #34
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
@ixtab

since there's a hack on replacing the fonts used in KT, would you consider including it in the Wiki?
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #35
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiming View Post
since there's a hack on replacing the fonts used in KT, would you consider including it in the Wiki?
Sure, this is exactly the kind of stuff that should go there. However, as I said before, there's no need to ask me to do it. Just improve the page by yourself, and add the information! (BTW, that's exactly the point: I didn't know about this hack yet, so I couldn't even have added it by myself)

@all: in order not to continue "polluting" this thread with off-topic posts, please move the wiki-related discussions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162200
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #36
fred1976
fred1976 began at the beginning.

Hey there! Thanks for the great app! Very useful to be able to turn on/off usbnetwork and change orientation!

Would it be possible to add the draw and gmail launchers, as menu items, in the .bin file? Not sure I would manage to do that alone with the source code, and I'm sure it would interest other people!

Thanks in advance!

Fred
fred1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:26 PM   #37
nerduban
nerduban began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 5.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraka17360 View Post
1. At the certain point the screen stops reacting to the touch navigation. It reacts on 'menu' touch, but I cannot move anyway - not the next/previous page, not the next/previous chapter. It is a consistent bug.
As you mentioned, the screen stops responding in landscape mode after five pages, when a full screen refresh is required. This problem can be solved by changing Settings -> Reading Options -> Page Refresh to On, and letting the screen get refreshed at every page turn.

The downside is, every refresh comes with a flash, and turning a page gets slower. It looks like a bug, since it cannot make full screen refresh after five pages, but it can for every page.

This could be one of the reasons why Amazon hid this feature
nerduban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:46 AM   #38
yosoyeleze
yosoyeleze began at the beginning.

Hello.
Someone might see the show as KT lanscape mode? I have a KT and would like to know how functional the new screen orientation and whether it is worth to jailbreak just for this function. Someone had major problems?
Thank you.
yosoyeleze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #39
ukiman
ukiman began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 5th
I tried this and it does change the orientation, and actually make pdf files readable, but there are a few bugs that make it unusable for me.
The first isn't really a bug, and is just an inconvenience, since idk if anything can even be done about it. When I tap the next page, it scrolls down if the actual page isn't over yet. And much of the time it cuts off the text line so at times it is only showing half of the line on each side, very difficult to read.
The real issue is that it would not go past 6% (of the book I was testing), after it just went back to 2%. I was able to swipe the back bar up and down to change chapters, but as soon as I tap on the next page, it went back to the beginning of the book.
So it's back to converting pdf files to mobi. This function doesn't seem fully functional, and I wouldn't root your device just for this.
ukiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #40
dwallersv
dwallersv began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Regarding a lack of interest (in general), you are not alone. A lot of "lurkers" are following you, waiting anxiously on your progress. People are busy this time of year, but there are people studying your code.
That's me.

I've been following yifanlu's awesome work from the beginning. I'm a hacker coming from the Android world, but a complete wet-behind-the-ears noob in the Kindle universe. I haven't done anything to my KT yet (despite constant drooling while reading these threads :-)), because I just don't have the confidence to take the plunge.

I'm tracking, and waiting until things are baked enough that I feel comfortable diving in. The mod in this thread probably pushed me over the edge (I really want landscape while reading), so I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Yifanlu, there is no doubt there is a massive silent majority out there following all this intensely, waiting for their "comfort level" to be met to jump off the cliff. We all just want to be sure the parachute is sturdy enough.
dwallersv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #41
furlow
furlow began at the beginning.

Okay Maybe I missed something, but how do I install this? Not steps where given? Do I just extract it to the kindle? or do I have to jail break first?
furlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #42
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furlow View Post
Okay Maybe I missed something, but how do I install this? Not steps where given? Do I just extract it to the kindle? or do I have to jail break first?
I'm not usually the guy to say "RTFM", but RTFM.
There are instructions both on the Wiki, as well as in the downloaded package, and (most probably) in other places as well.

In short: yes, you do need the jailbreak. Then unzip and follow the instructions in the zip file.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #43
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
... I wrote some nice tweaks for the Touch (rotate screen, enable/disable screensaver, enable/disable usbnet, etc) that I can access easily ...
Is this just a problem of mine or, when reading in landscape mode, tapping to go to prev/next page stops working after 6 page loads or so?

To make it work again (for the next 6 taps) i have to touch the top of the screen and go back to the page.

Maybe it's something related to screen refresh?
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #44
vlamark
Junior Senior Member
vlamark began at the beginning.

Device: K2 & K5
@yifanlu: Great job. Launcher was just the thing that was missing. Nice to implement all available hacks in it and thus allowing us without coding exp. to use em as well

@Others complaining about 6 taps bug: There is a topic on rotate function that is enabled trough this hack. This is GUI Launcher topic. (It was written on topic name, you clicked to enter here). I'm affraid what is going to happen when more hacks arive
vlamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #45
highend
highend began at the beginning.

Somehow I'm unable to get this working...

I've installed the jailbreak before and usbnetworking with the additional sftp server module (all are working fine).

When I put the file update_launcher_1.0_install.bin into the /mnt/us folder (via an sftp connection) and restart the device I get the following error message during the restart:

Software Update
The update was not successful
If you need assistance visit http://www.kindle.com/support.
To resume using your Kindle, press the [Home] button.
UPDATE ERROR: 3

Do I have to put the .bin file in a different directory?

Should the folder hierarchy look like this (to get the usbnetworking and orientation entries):

/mnt/us/extensions
/mnt/us/extensions/reader_plugins.xml
/mnt/us/extensions/orientation
/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/config.xml
/mnt/us/extensions/orientation/menu.json

Tia,
highend
highend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks