Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #15736
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Gee, that's too bad. For me I experience nostalgia and that nostalgia maintains the fondness. I believe, at least for me, it's mostly in the mindset you approach the experience with. It's kind of similar to suspending ones disbelief.

I think it's as much about how I changed rather than a reflection on the books. I was a much different person at 13ish than I am now that I am middle aged.

If you enjoy revisiting them, more power to ya!

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 02-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #15737
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Gee, that's too bad. For me I experience nostalgia and that nostalgia maintains the fondness. I believe, at least for me, it's mostly in the mindset you approach the experience with. It's kind of similar to suspending ones disbelief.

I find the majority - not all, but the majority - of children's books to be too shallow and superficial to hold my interest as an adult. There are exceptions - eg I enjoy the "Narnia" books, Harry Potter, "The Dark is Rising" series, etc, but even though I collect turn of the 20th century children's books, such as Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, etc, I rarely read them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #15738
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I tried to re-read the Tom Swift Sr. books when I bought them at a library sale years ago, but they just didn't do it. I tried Tom Swift Jr. too but he was just too goody-goody for me these days. I kept hoping he'd at least make a pass at his girlfriend, but no such luck...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #15739
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think it's as much about how I changed rather than a reflection on the books. I was a much different person at 13ish than I am now that I am middle aged.

If you enjoy revisiting them, more power to ya!

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find the majority - not all, but the majority - of children's books to be too shallow and superficial to hold my interest as an adult. There are exceptions - eg I enjoy the "Narnia" books, Harry Potter, "The Dark is Rising" series, etc, but even though I collect turn of the 20th century children's books, such as Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Tom Swift, etc, I rarely read them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I tried to re-read the Tom Swift Sr. books when I bought them at a library sale years ago, but they just didn't do it. I tried Tom Swift Jr. too but he was just too goody-goody for me these days. I kept hoping he'd at least make a pass at his girlfriend, but no such luck...

Stitchawl
These are all reasons why I tend to read the Nancy Drew books (and other YAs too) 'in conjunction with'/'at the same time as' a more adult oriented book and switch back and forth between the two. Anyway, this aproach seems to float my boat.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-21-2013 at 08:11 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #15740
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Apparently my next book with be Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell which just came available through my library. I reserved it last year for the book club. So, just to be clear, Cloud Atlas is science fiction, right Jon?

I will leave it there for now and decide later if I think it fits elsewhere better.
Well, I wouldn't place this in Science Fiction although it does have some obvious SF sections, probably just place it in a general "literary fiction" category. This was one of those books whose purpose seems to be getting the reader to see how clever or witty the author can be.

That said, it was an ok read, I don't think I wasted my time, but I don't yearn for more of his books. I did enjoy seeing how each of the parts was completed, some satisfactorily others not so much.

I have no clue what to read next, probably something that is more clearly science fiction though.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #15741
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Currently, I am reading Jack & Jill by James Patterson. It is the 3rd book in the Alex Cross series.

Quote:
A game of Life and Death. Sam Harrison (Jack) and Sara Rosen (Jill) delight in their board game that has photos of famous people; a simple roll of the dice determines their destiny.

When sixty-four-year-old Senator Daniel Fitzpatrick is found murdered, the FBI makes a formal request for Cross. The FBI is stymied. The code name for President Thomas Byrnes is Jack. The First Lady's is Jill.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-21-2013 at 08:18 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #15742
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: another new book in a series I've liked, Honor's Paradox by P. C. Hodgell
I spent the first three quarters of the book remembering what had happened in the previous books. However, I still enjoyed the book. I suspect that when (if) the series comes to a conclusion, I shall re-read in quick successsion, and so appreciate the story much more.

Next: Asimov's SF, April-May 2013 by Dell Magazine Authors. My Asimov and Analog subscriptions have just delivered the new issues, so I shall read them next.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #15743
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Finished up Hugh Howey's Third Shift: Pact. Thus endeth the prequel series to Wool. Didn't really enjoy this one quite as much as the previous installments, but it certainly fills some necessary gaps (both in knowledge and time) and efficiently sets the table for what will hopefully be a great finale to the entire saga in "Dust". It didn't suck at all, but it seemed more of a functional bridge between two time periods: —functional meaning it got me to where I needed to be, but maybe not in quite the aesthetically pleasing manner I would have preferred.

Oh well... can't all be home runs, I guess. I'm still super-excited to see how it all turns out.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-22-2013 at 10:11 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #15744
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Finished up Hugh Howey's Third Shift: Pact. Thus endeth the prequel series to Wool. Didn't really enjoy this one quite as much as the previous installments, but it certainly fills some necessary gaps (both in knowledge and time) and efficiently sets the table for what will hopefully be a great finale to the entire saga in "Dust". It didn't suck at all, but it seemed more of a functional bridge between two time periods: —functional meaning it got me to where I needed to be, but maybe not in quite the aesthetically pleasing manner I would have preferred.

Oh well... can't all be home runs, I guess. I'm still super-excited to see how it all turns out.
This is exactly how I feel as well. I just finished it this morning. Can't wait for Dust to come out .
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #15745
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I borrowed Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour Bookstore from the library. I'm liking it a lot so far! Getting attached to the characters and into the story and everything, it's quite good.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:59 AM   #15746
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Dana Stabenow & Carolyn Keen (Walter Karig)

Quote:
I really enjoyed all 3 of the YA's Disney After Dark, Nancy's Mysterious Letter and Five Against Venus. Next I'm going to read the last (#17) of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysteries, Skeleton Man along with the 9th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Sign of the Twisted Candles.
Well, I've now finished reading all 17 of Tony Hillerman's Navajo Mysterys with the completion of Skeleton Man. To pay a visit to those old friends from now on I'll have to re-read, which is okay since I usually enjoy re-reading. I also just completed reading the 9th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Sign of the Twisted Candles. I enjoyed reading both of these novels a lot.

Now on to the 10th Nancy Drew Mystery Story, The Password to Larkspur Lane, which I' looking forward to a lot because it's the Nancy Drew title I remember most vividly from my 3rd and 4th grade reading of a number of the Nancy Drew books. I'm interested to see if I remember anything else other than the title! Also I'm starting the 17th Kate Shugak novel by Dana Stabenow, A Night Too Dark.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #15747
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm currently 53% of the way through The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) and am sad to say that right now, I'm not impressed. While the world and its fea/supernatural characters are fascinating, the main character, Meghan, is annoyingly weak and willfully stupid; especially for a 16 year old girl. Where is that teenage stubbornness and fight?

This is a
Spoiler:
You would think that a girl whose life has been turned upside down and whose surroundings have become dangerous would try to be more observant, try to learn as much as possible and would definitely ask a lot more questions, instead of just bumbling along. I understand her concern and desperation to get to her brother, but if you're repeatedly told, don't eat anything and don't talk to anyone, don't use you "real" name, don't make promises, etc. don't you think you'd take a second to get the lay of the land and learn the rules of the game? Instead, she's having full blown temper tantrums of denial and self pity.

I'm beginning to see why some compare her to Bella Swan from Twilight.

I really hope she gets her act together and quickly.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #15748
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Alosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm currently 53% of the way through The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) and am sad to say that right now, I'm not impressed. While the world and its fea/supernatural characters are fascinating, the main character, Meghan, is annoyingly weak and willfully stupid; especially for a 16 year old girl. Where is that teenage stubbornness and fight?

This is a
Spoiler:
You would think that a girl whose life has been turned upside down and whose surroundings have become dangerous would try to be more observant, try to learn as much as possible and would definitely ask a lot more questions, instead of just bumbling along. I understand her concern and desperation to get to her brother, but if you're repeatedly told, don't eat anything and don't talk to anyone, don't use you "real" name, don't make promises, etc. don't you think you'd take a second to get the lay of the land and learn the rules of the game? Instead, she's having full blown temper tantrums of denial and self pity.

I'm beginning to see why some compare her to Bella Swan from Twilight.

I really hope she gets her act together and quickly.
Give Christopher Pike's Alosha Trilogy a try, I'll bet you'll love Allison and she's even younger than Meghan as well as not being at all weak and certainly not stupid.

Last edited by alansplace; 02-23-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #15749
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Give Christopher Pike's Alosha Trilogy a try, I'll bet you'll love Allison and she's even younger than Meghan.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm hoping Meghan takes a "big girl pill" soon. The story has been interesting and many of the other characters have been quite enjoyable.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #15750
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next is Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. A return to classic 50s sci-fi.
The book read more like a subdued documentary. A bit dry. It was missing the drama and emotion an H-bomb detonation would produce. Everyone was so calm.
I understand this book was used as a sort of preparation/instruction manual in the event of a nuclear war. Makes sense. It was well researched politically and militarily. Although, the author believes the US would not have electricity or fuel for decades post war. This seems extreme. Rated C- [3 stars].

Next a recommendation from a MR member, The Case of the Caretaker's Cat by Erle Stanley Gardner. My library was able to get me a HC copy.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote