Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-25-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
pantaleon
pantaleon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Having trouble with DRM'd .prc files on Kindle

Hello,

I bought a Kindle a few months ago and have just recently started using the kindlepid.py and kindlefix.py scripts to read ebooks from my library on the Kindle.

The first time I tried this, it worked like a dream and I was able to read 2 library books on the Kindle. However, when I tried to add some new books today, I started having some problems. I can download the books from the library, convert them to .azw files, and load them onto the Kindle, but when I try to open them I recieve an error message telling me to contact Amazon tech support. All of the books I bought from Amazon work fine, it's just the DRM'd .prc files from the library that aren't opening.

I checked the PID number of the Kindle on my PC (I'm running Vista) and on a friend's running Linux, and got the same thing. I checked with the library, and it is the same PID they have on file there. Just for giggles, I uninstalled mobipocket reader and reinstalled it (though I don't think the uninstall completely worked since it remembered the Kindle's PID, which I entered as a USB drive). The library books open without problems on the mobipocket reader.

Can anyone offer advice to a not very computer oriented person about how to fix this? The fact that it all worked fine previously has me very confused. I'm not interested in de-DRMing things or doing anything really complicated, my end goal here is just to get some protected ebooks from the library and read them on my Kindle.

Thanks!
pantaleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Maybe Amazon block it with their update. Go to Menu and Setting and see if you were updated to version 1.2.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, removing the DRM from a Mobipocket eBook is a lot easier then using Kindlefix. The reason being is that a lot of retailers won't allow a Kindle PID to be entered. But if you enter a valid PID, you can easily strip the DRM and then read said eBook with your Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, removing the DRM from a Mobipocket eBook is a lot easier then using Kindlefix. The reason being is that a lot of retailers won't allow a Kindle PID to be entered. But if you enter a valid PID, you can easily strip the DRM and then read said eBook with your Kindle.

It's a library book so he's been using kindlefix to read it on his Kindle.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantaleon View Post
I checked the PID number of the Kindle on my PC (I'm running Vista) and on a friend's running Linux, and got the same thing. I checked with the library, and it is the same PID they have on file there. Just for giggles, I uninstalled mobipocket reader and reinstalled it (though I don't think the uninstall completely worked since it remembered the Kindle's PID, which I entered as a USB drive). The library books open without problems on the mobipocket reader.
If the library book opens with MobiPocket Reader then it contains your desktop PID (which probably has a "$" in it). Since kindlefix worked, the ebook must also have the Kindle's PID (with a "*") in it as well - but perhaps the Kindle is looking for an ebook with a single PID. Try redownloading the ebook authorized only for the Kindle from your lending library. This probably means downloading outside MobiPocket Reader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #6
pantaleon
pantaleon began at the beginning.

Thanks for the replies!

A few clarifications:

1.) I'm downloading the books from a public library website, so I am not actually downloading anything from Mobipocket. I just tried opening the DRM'd .prc files in Mobi to make sure there was nothing wrong with the ebooks themselves. Ideally I would not use the mobi reader at all, just save the .prc files on my hard drive, convert to .azw, and load onto the Kindle. This seemed to work before.

2.) I'm not trying to open the .azw files on my computer, I'm copying them onto the Kindle and trying to read them there.

3.) The library seems to automatically add computer PID numbers to the list of allotted PID's when you register a device. I'm not sure how to get around this to try downloading the .prc's with only a Kindle PID registered on the library's site. Ideas?

4.) And lastly, I have Kindle 1.0.8 (not 1.2), so I'm guessing Amazon did not update anything that would change my ability to read these files?

Can anyone offer any further suggestions? I'm just totally stumped here, especially since this worked once, then stopped.

Thanks!
pantaleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
Gollywalk
Gollywalk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle International
I fond a .prc file for my Afrikaans Bible. How do I convert it in calible. Output format is ????
Gollywalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollywalk View Post
I fond a .prc file for my Afrikaans Bible. How do I convert it in calible. Output format is ????
If it is a DRM-free .prc ebook, then it should work already on the Kindle. If you want to run it through Calibre, the output type is .mobi. The .prc and .mobi extensions are both used for the same MobiPocket ebooks but .mobi makes this explicit. The Kindle accepts .mobi and .prc.

If the ebook has DRM (encryption) then use mobidedrm to remove this before copying to the Kindle or running it through Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I have heard that files with multiple PIDs embedded do not work using the kindlefix.py script.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
conmotto
conmotto began at the beginning.

This new web-based tool effectively replaces the kindlepid script: http://kindletools.prestonlee.com/
conmotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #11
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I have heard that files with multiple PIDs embedded do not work using the kindlefix.py script.
I believe that is correct.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I use MobieDRM Version 009 to crack my prc files. I have attacked the file below. All you need to do is get it here http://paste2.org/p/646093, copying and saving into a 009.py file

Now you then put your .prc book into the same directory as created file.

Now just run the following

python 009.py in.prc out.mobi 'PID'

This version is the best working this far and can handle the newest mobi books.

Last edited by Zorz; 02-02-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
We're not allowed to post direct links to DRM removing scripts.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
We're not allowed to post direct links to DRM removing scripts.
Sorry fixed.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
limecello
limecello began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi Everyone,

I have a similar issue as the original post- so I [hope] this is the right place for it?
I'd like to read mobipocket library books on my kindle. I only have my kindle PID as the mobipocket PID on the library site. I used to be able to read library books on my kindle fine, after running it through the scripts or whatever and changing it from PRC to AZW

Now, however, everything converts and loads beautifully... but when I try to open the book on my kindle, it gives me the message that the book cannot be opened.
Please help? I haven't changed anything on my library status or computer - the only possible change was that my kindle was updated when I connected to whispernet. (?)

Also, sorry - I'm not techy, so that's about all the detail(s) I have. Thanks for all your help!
limecello is offline   Reply With Quote