Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #1126
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Kobo devices do not display a word or page count anywhere, but there are several ways to do it.

One method is to use a metadata plugboard to add the page count to one of the pieces of metadata that is displayed. Appending it to the title or the author is what I have seen.

The other is to put it in the comments/synopsis. My Kobo Utilities plugin can do this. It can use a template to add extra information to the synopsis on the device. I use:

Code:
template:{comments}{tags:|<p>Tags: |</p>}{rating:|<p>Rating: |</p>}{#kobo_last_read:|<p>Last Read: |</p>}{#words:|<p>Word count: |</p>}
That adds the tags, my rating, the last read timestamp and the page and word count.
Thanks so much, I did some reading around and to quickly summarize/clarify:
If I wanted to specifically display a "Pages:" line in the comments/synopsis, I'd add the following to your template:
Code:
{#pages:|<p>Pages: |</p>}
Assuming that my custom page number column is called "pages".

EDIT: It looks like you can create/paste the template directly in the plugin - "Update Metadata in device library" check:comments/synopsis - check:use template - click template editor and paste there. Hit OK

A complete example with just the book comments and page numbers would be:
Code:
template:{comments}{#pages:|<p>Pages: |</p>}

Last edited by mgrimace; 08-07-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: simplified instructions for showing pg#s on Kobo
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:07 AM   #1127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrimace View Post
Thanks so much, I did some reading around and to quickly summarize/clarify:
If I wanted to specifically display a "Pages:" line in the comments/synopsis, I'd add the following to your template:
Code:
{#pages:|<p>Pages: |</p>}
Assuming that my custom page number column is called "pages".

EDIT: It looks like you can create/paste the template directly in the plugin - "Update Metadata in device library" check:comments/synopsis - check:use template - click template editor and paste there. Hit OK

A complete example with just the book comments and page numbers would be:
Code:
template:{comments}{#pages:|<p>Pages: |</p>}
Yes, all that is correct. And I don't know where the page count went from my template. It's definitely on the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #1128
taratears
Connoisseur
taratears began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
I'm having issue with discrepancies between the actual page count and the estimated one, but I'm not sure there is a work around at this point.
taratears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #1129
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratears View Post
I'm having issue with discrepancies between the actual page count and the estimated one, but I'm not sure there is a work around at this point.
Probably not, but, what do you consider to the the "actual page count"?
Old 08-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #1130
taratears
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Probably not, but, what do you consider to the the "actual page count"?
828 vs 257465 for that particular book.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 PM   #1131
taratears
Connoisseur

-rolls eyes at self- Of course, now that the new update for calibre has come out, its fine. Sorry about that.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:57 AM   #1132
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Nothing in the latest version of calibre should have affected the page count. The usual reason for such a wrong number is a configuration error and putting the word count into the page count column. There was an upgrade a while ago where the configuration was messed up and caused this for a few people. The fix was to redo the configuration.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #1133
eBook_Respecter
Respecter of Ebooks
eBook_Respecter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Angry Version 1.8.0 crashes Calibre on OS X 10.12.6

I installed 1.8.0 as instructed above, and it causes Calibre version 3.8.0 to segfault on OS X 10.12.6 with:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000005
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

when clicking the Plugin button's disclosure menu triangle from the Main Menu bar. I've reproduced the crash three times. Let me know if you want further logs or crash dumps to help diagnose.

Last edited by eBook_Respecter; 09-23-2017 at 10:39 PM. Reason: add Calibre version
eBook_Respecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #1134
eBook_Respecter
Respecter of Ebooks
eBook_Respecter began at the beginning.

PDF page count: Could not analyse some statistics:

For 37 of my PDFs, The Count Pages plugin worked. But for six of them, the Count Pages plugin gives this error: (calibre, version 3.8.0)

WARNING: Page/word/statistics warnings: Could not analyse some statistics in 1 of 1 books, for reasons shown in details below.
A Tale of Two Cities (No identifiers for selected download sources)
I clicked the same button for all PDFs, so I don't know why some PDFs would invoke a download attempt and others wouldn't.
eBook_Respecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #1135
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBook_Respecter View Post
I installed 1.8.0 as instructed above, and it causes Calibre version 3.8.0 to segfault on OS X 10.12.6 with:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000005
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

when clicking the Plugin button's disclosure menu triangle from the Main Menu bar. I've reproduced the crash three times. Let me know if you want further logs or crash dumps to help diagnose.
Sorry, I have no idea of the cause of this or how to fix it. This version of the plugin has been for five months without any similar reports from OSX users. I'm pretty sure it doesn't do anything unusual when building the menus. And I can't quickly see anything in the recent calibre changes that might have affected this.

About the only thing I can think of is to check the configuration. This can be done from the Plugins page of the preference. If this is the first time you have used the plugin, the default options might be causing problems.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:15 PM   #1136
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBook_Respecter View Post
For 37 of my PDFs, The Count Pages plugin worked. But for six of them, the Count Pages plugin gives this error: (calibre, version 3.8.0)

WARNING: Page/word/statistics warnings: Could not analyse some statistics in 1 of 1 books, for reasons shown in details below.
A Tale of Two Cities (No identifiers for selected download sources)
I clicked the same button for all PDFs, so I don't know why some PDFs would invoke a download attempt and others wouldn't.
The plugin can either read the file and calculate the statistics or download them from the web. The error suggests that the latter is what has been configured. Hence, if the books don't have suitable ids, the statistics cannot be downloaded and hence the above errors. Check the plugin is configured the way you want it and run the count again.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:32 AM   #1137
steris8
steris8 began at the beginning.

Unable to choose a custom column

Hi,

I was looking for your plugin, and i installed it on Calibre. But unfortunatly i'm not able to select a custom column from the menu and i can't choose any option. There is a blue rectangle and it's blank.

Please can someone explain to me how to solve this? (Edited : someone on the forum talk about numeric column). Can anybody tell me how to modify my library to do it?

I don't know what i'm doing wrong...

thanks.

Here a picture of that problem :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Personalisation.png
Views:	564
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	160209  

Last edited by steris8; 11-25-2017 at 03:45 AM.
steris8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:49 AM   #1138
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

The configuration dialog should show all custom columns that could be used for the page and word counts. So, it should be showing all custom columns that are integers. Do you have any of these?
Old 11-25-2017, 03:55 AM   #1139
steris8
steris8 began at the beginning.

Ok... i found that when i use the button down for adding column... i have all the options. But not when i click on the side icons.

i think all is ok...
steris8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:01 AM   #1140
Dirk-71
Zealot
Dirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolateDirk-71 is generous with chocolate

Device: Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One, Glo HD, Clara 2E
German Translation - Version 1.8.0

I have extended the German Translation. It's now fully translated, based on most recent Plugin Version 1.8.0.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Count Pages.zip (315.1 KB, 222 views)
Dirk-71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin