Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #16
samanthaS
samanthaS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
But, do you mind if Kindle user borrow eBooks from your library?
Who knows few years from now you may be able to access and borrow e-books from libraries all across the country. Assuming you let them display banner ads on your device
samanthaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by samanthaS View Post
But, do you mind if Kindle user borrow eBooks from your library?
Who knows few years from now you may be able to access and borrow e-books from libraries all across the country. Assuming you let them display banner ads on your device
I don't mind at all! (Especially since I have a K3.) My issue is that usage data, which influences spending decisions, should reflect the activities of the cardholder households, not "them and a few hundred of their closest friends across the country".

Non-resident programs are able to sort through that because the non-residents have legitimate cards. With the sharing of library cards, the libraries don't know that the activity is by people who aren't in the service area. The library should reflect the needs of the communities it serves. That's not even factoring in the HC 26-checkout limit and how I feel about checkouts being taken up by people who aren't in the local tax base.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 AM   #18
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Public libraries are pretty much supported by local taxes, usually property tax. It makes sense that library resources should be limited to those who are providing the financial support for the extent and quality of the resources provided. Don't like what the library system in your area offers? Vote for local politicians who will provide adequate funding for libraries.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #19
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Actually, I think you may be able to download the same book from more than one library. You probably need to clean out the old book listing from the 'my digital editions' folder before you try to do so, however.
I doubt you even need to do that. I've done it multiple times and it just sticks a number at the end of the filename with each download.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote