Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #76
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospect View Post

Dose anybody know how these kinds of problems was handled back in the old days of the scroll?
You may scroll down a page, but not vice-versa...

The use of page in this context must have developed along side that of book...

Of course, "page" as in servant will probably be older....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #77
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
The way I look at this debate is that ebooks have brought us to a point of transition. During this period, leveraging the known, existing paradigm of the paper paged-based book is really a requirement for speeding the pace of adoption. At some point in the future, I would expect the need for page numbers to diminish as more people get used to interacting in a different way with their reading material. But right now....page numbers are needed if this technology is going to be accepted and adopted by the broad masses.

So give us the page numbers!

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 03:41 AM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have no wish to "leverage a paradigm"; I just want to read books .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #79
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
The way I look at this debate is that ebooks have brought us to a point of transition. During this period, leveraging the known, existing paradigm of the paper paged-based book is really a requirement for speeding the pace of adoption. At some point in the future, I would expect the need for page numbers to diminish as more people get used to interacting in a different way with their reading material. But right now....page numbers are needed if this technology is going to be accepted and adopted by the broad masses.

So give us the page numbers!

-Jeff
I'm sorry, Jeff - I'm sure you swore...

Page numbering, I suppose could be important if the e-readers were used as part of a book club where a number of participants could need to reference a section of text - and with no easy reference in the Cybook - it could be interesting...

Geoff(the posh spelling)
Old 08-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
They are not e-readers. They are just plain readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #81
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They are not e-readers. They are just plain readers.
no - I'm a plain reader ...
Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

People, let me say this ONE MORE TIME! If you really want working page numbers, then you bought the wroing device. The Gen3 is not for you. It may never have properly working page numbers. Instead you shhould have boughta Sony Reader PRS-505. It has working page numbers. Now you know Mobipocket has bug(s) with page numbers. So give it a rest. Either you want to stick with your Gen3 and non-working page numbers, or you want to go with Sony for working page numbers. It's that simple.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #83
GeoffC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
People, let me say this ONE MORE TIME! If you really want working page numbers, then you bought the wroing device. The Gen3 is not for you. It may never have properly working page numbers. Instead you shhould have boughta Sony Reader PRS-505. It has working page numbers. Now you know Mobipocket has bug(s) with page numbers. So give it a rest. Either you want to stick with your Gen3 and non-working page numbers, or you want to go with Sony for working page numbers. It's that simple.
rattling his cage...

I'm happy with the Cybook - it does what I want - I've never said otherwise, but at least I can appreciate the arguments put forward for having them...
Old 08-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I understand the arguments too. But we are dealing with Mobipocket here. They had page numbers be broken for a long time. And I don't think they will be fixed any time soon. I think it's just something we'll have to live with if we want to use the format.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:18 AM   #85
Mindy
Away with the Faeries
Mindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipseMindy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Sony PRS 650
Well, perhaps if I had known that the Sony was going to be imminently available in the UK AND that I was going to find I had a preference one way or the other AND I could have held out till September then that might have been an option.
But I didn't on the first two counts and probably couldn't have on the last, so there. And, like Geoff (posh or otherwise) I'm very happy with my Cybook.
Doesn't stop us discussing and/or whining in the meantime - it's just one of those things about people. There are even a few people making constructive suggestions. Feel free to ignore the thread if it bothers you that much.
Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #86
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It's not that it bothers me. It doesn't really. It's just that the want of working page numbers is falling on deaf ears (Mobipocket).
Old 08-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speaking personally, Jon, the features that the Sony lacks, such as dictionary lookup and user-installable fonts, put page numbers in the shade. We each have to make an informed decision based on our personal requirements.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #88
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Speaking personally, Jon, the features that the Sony lacks, such as dictionary lookup and user-installable fonts, put page numbers in the shade. We each have to make an informed decision based on our personal requirements.
Absolutely agree. Add to that a proprietary format (at the time) and the choice was pretty easy to go with something other than the Sony.

Broken page numbers not withstanding, they were useful enough on my iLiad. All some of us are asking for is that Bookeen implement page numbers like the other mobi readers out there.

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #89
GeoffC

the circle seems unbroken
Old 08-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #90
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
Broken page numbers not withstanding, they were useful enough on my iLiad. All some of us are asking for is that Bookeen implement page numbers like the other mobi readers out there.
And some of us aren't -- because page numbers don't really work on other mobi readers.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote