Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
September 2013's *Category* Nominations.

The September 2013 category selection will be similar to the other category selections we have done so far for 2013. We'll have one poll after all nominations are in; there will be no run-off poll except in case of a tie. If a second poll also results in a tie, I'll cast my vote as the tie-breaker.

* This thread will be open for 5 days or 30 fully seconded and thirded nominations, whichever comes first.

* The poll will be up for 4 days.

* Three votes or nominations per member.

The story thus far:
Quote:
The 2013 MobileRead Book Club Monthly Categories
  • January: Second Chance No nominations this month. The polls will be comprised of selections that either came in second place or tied for second place during the previous 11 months.
  • February Romance
  • March Travel/Adventure
  • April Classics
  • May Mystery/Thriller
  • June Award Winners
  • July Non-Fiction
  • August Science Fiction
The 2012 Categories (for reference purposes):

Spoiler:
January — RunnerUp (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)
February — Romance
March — Thriller/Suspense
April — Humour
May — Fantasy
June — Classic
July — Mystery/Crime
August — FreeForAll
September — NonFiction
October — Horror
November — Science Fiction
December — Classic
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Fully Nominated Categories:

(1) Biography/Memoir [issybird, Billi, fantasyfan]

(2) Mobileread Authors [Dazrin, Billi, caleb72]

(3) Short Stories [issybird, WT Sharpe, Hamlet53]

(4) Banned or Challenged Books [Hamlet53, orlok, desertblues]

(5) Free-For-All [WT Sharpe, Nyssa, orlok]

(6) Young Adult [fantasyfan, Nyssa, AnemicOak]

(7) Modern Fiction [John F, Nyssa, Asawi]

(8) Lottery (version 3) [orlok, desertblues, tilia]

(9) Fantasy [John F, JSWolf, tilia]

(10) Humor [WT Sharpe, Asawi, fantasyfan]

(11) Books by Japanese authors [desertblues, Hamlet53, HomeInMyShoes]

(12) Historical Fiction [AnemicOak, Bookpossum, caleb72]

(13) MobileRead Classic (must be in the MobileRead library and it should be at least 50 years old) [John F, Bookpossum, issybird]

(14) First Book in a Series [Dazrin, BaenSidhe, MickiTee]

(15) Philosophy [sun surfer, caleb72, jemc]

(16) Foreign (Books originally written in a language other than English) [sun surfer, Bookpossum, Asawi]

Nominations:

** Lottery (version 2) [Dazrin, HomeInMyShoes]

* Classics (the book has to have been written after WWII and the author is still alive at the time of the initial nomination. So no dead authors are allowed and no really old and obsolete stories.) [JSWolf]

* Nyssa's Choice (Nyssa would select a list of books to vote on and the one with the most votes is the category selection. In the unlikely event of a tie, Nyssa gets to banish the other selections for their choice.) [HomeInMyShoes]

* Science Fiction [JSWolf]

* Travel/Adventure [sun surfer]

*(If Lottery is nominated please indicate which version you would like: Version 1 = The lottery winner chooses a book that we all read. Version 2 = The lottery winner chooses a selection of books from which we choose via a poll. Version 3 = Three winners are chosen who each choose three selections, then the nine selections are put to a vote in a poll.)

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-21-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Updated Through Post #68
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Since I am up, I will nominate:
  1. Mobileread Authors
  2. Lottery (version 2)
  3. First Book in a Series
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll nominate Biography/Memoir and Short Stories.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I support MobileRead Authors and Biography/Memoir.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Support MR Authors
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
(I am not sure whether I complete understand your voting system, so please correct me if I put my foot wrong here....)

I nominate Books by Japanese authors.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #8
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Until now you've done nothing wrong.

It's a two-phase voting system. In the first phase you can nominate up to three categories or support the nominations of other members. The second phase is the "real" voting. You can choose as many categories as you like from the categories that got three votes in the first phase.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:39 AM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'll nominate Lottery version 3.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:11 AM   #10
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll nominate Young Adult and second Biography/Memoir.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 02-18-2013 at 04:14 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #11
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I second Lottery version 3
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I nominate the following:
  • Short Stories
  • Humor
  • Free-For-All

EDIT:
Okay, Short Stories is a second.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-18-2013 at 08:10 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:00 AM   #13
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
(I am not sure whether I complete understand your voting system, so please correct me if I put my foot wrong here....)

I nominate Books by Japanese authors.
Second this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll nominate Biography/Memoir and Short Stories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I nominate the following:
  • Short Stories
  • Humor
  • Free-For-All
So that's a second for short stories. And one more makes three.

Nominate banned or challenged books. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...79#post2426979
Old 02-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Short Stories for me! Is that a third?
Humor as well I think that's a second.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Second banned or challenged books.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote